Shohin bald cypress??

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Somewhere, either here or with my LBS bonsai club, I heard the comment that bald cypress will not make a shohin-sized tree. Even if I imagined it, I'm going to try it. I went out and got one today and cut it back unmercifully to about 1 and 1/8" at the chop. Hopefully, I'll get a sprout close to the top to let grow to make the second section of the trunk. The way bald cypress grow in my climate, the tree will be well along by the end of this summer. The trunk has a bit more flair below the soil. I'll let more roots grow and trim that back later to give a wider base. I planted it, like all my collected bald cypress, in about 70 % organic soil. No plans to flood the tree........ just water it til it's soggy every day.

unnamed (50).jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I’m actually trying one too, was going to do the chop this year so I’m interested to see how this sprouts. I was planning on cutting higher up the trunk so it’d be large Shohin at best, if not pushing up a size, I think, but maybe I’ll re-evaluate where I chop based on this…

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Somewhere, either here or with my LBS bonsai club, I heard the comment that bald cypress will not make a shohin-sized tree. Even if I imagined it, I'm going to try it. I went out and got one today and cut it back unmercifully to about 1 and 1/8" at the chop. Hopefully, I'll get a sprout close to the top to let grow to make the second section of the trunk. The way bald cypress grow in my climate, the tree will be well along by the end of this summer. The trunk has a bit more flair below the soil. I'll let more roots grow and trim that back later to give a wider base. I planted it, like all my collected bald cypress, in about 70 % organic soil. No plans to flood the tree........ just water it til it's soggy every day.

View attachment 470292
I reckon they’d make for a hell of a broom. Even at that size.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I started a smaller sized BC as well. Not quite shohin sized but I’m hoping to develop it into a flat top under 16”. It will be cut shorter once it throws some buds out for me to choose from.
BFD5BA38-9A30-4ACA-81E4-B57B0F3F8F96.jpeg

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I reckon they’d make for a hell of a broom. Even at that size.
I'm shooting for a heavily tapered trunk. I'll leave one or maybe two shoots and let the leader run wild for a while. It would make a crazy broom, but I never was attracted to that style.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've got about a zillion seeds for spring planting, planning to bend young trunks to do something smaller.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I'm shooting for a heavily tapered trunk. I'll leave one or maybe two shoots and let the leader run wild for a while. It would make a crazy broom, but I never was attracted to that style.
Yea I’m with you. I‘m sure it’ll be great. Probably my favourite US species for bonsai as they’re so adaptable. I think the surface has barely been scratched with what’s possible with being such a good mix of coniferous and deciduous and far tougher than most conifers seem to be.

I was looking at ebihara’s formal zelkova broom yesterday, then saw your stump and the idea just struck me. I have one i found at for a bargain at a nursery which was a pretty rare find over here, and where I chopped has the perfect beginnings of a broom if i layer the top off. Never really twigged til now.

Anyway, enough hijacking of your thread. I look forward to seeing what you manage to do with this.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got fresh seeds from a fellow bonsainut member this week.
Thanks @Backwardsvg

I am going to do seedling cuttings and aim for smaller plants too.

I will start the initial growth in a co2 fertilized growtent and try to get early backbudding and strong branches early on,as I hear they can die back over winter in the beginning.

How do they backbud?
If they backbud somewhat well…..kelp will only increase this more!

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
She doesn't come by these parts much anymore, but I always enjoyed @Cadillactaste's

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks @Backwardsvg

I will start the initial growth in a co2 fertilized growtent and try to get early backbudding and strong branches early on,as I hear they can die back over winter in the beginning.

How do they backbud?

Strong backbudding - for me at least

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks @Backwardsvg

How do they backbud?
I am very interested to see what you can do with some bald cypress seedlings. With your methods they should come out amazing. They back bud very easily.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Strong backbudding - for me at least
Yes I figure seedling cuttings would be the way to go for these to cut out that long stem they get like some of the stems were about 7 inches tall before they even get leaves so it seems anything will seedling cut.
I mean of a pine will seedling cut or a Cryptomeria, which I have both experiance, I’m sure the BC will too!!!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
BC can be rooted fairly easily from cuttings so I’m sure they seedling cuttings should be easy peasy.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is the only shohin BC that I have seen here that looks decent.
@Cadillactaste

I know you state that you have no plans to flood the tree, but you need to do it if you want it to flare faster. The roots love water and will not run and thicken as fast as necessary to create the low buttress unless you keep them under water. The basin you are using will be beneficial because the roots escaping through the side holes are the ones that will improve the flare.

This is the flare of one of my BC's, this is a seedling from Matt O that I bought March 2021, this pictures are from September 2022 so they are on their 2nd growing season.

March 21
1675091177755.png

June 21
1675091216360.png

AUG 21
1675091299903.png

SEP 22
1675091094009.png

SEP 22
1675091081175.png

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
She doesn't come by these parts much anymore, but I always enjoyed @Cadillactaste's

No...no I don't. But thanks for the kind words. 😉

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't know the backstory of why you are no longer here. :(
I'm tired of people... in general. I'm tired of not getting back time that was wasted on foolishness. I've come to take the hobby more seriously...and I'm a literal thinker.

That...and the post about God not being spoken of here...yet every other darn topic can be. That sealed the deal. God...comes first in my life... bonsai is way down on that list. 😉

Top Bottom