Texas Shohin Bald Cypress

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Woweee!
He looks good.
I am aiming for a 40" BC. This is a massive bonsai. I usually just see things this size in Asia.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Woweee!
He looks good.
I am aiming for a 40" BC. This is a massive bonsai. I usually just see things this size in Asia.

Be sure to come to the convention in Houston next April where this tree along with several other imperial sized BC will be on exhibit. Hope to see you there!

S

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Big guy looks funny without his clothes on.
rofl yeah he does, but in the best way ;D
Gotta ask- is that large shari & cavern at the base pretty much the entirety of decay on that trunking? Also, how did that shari get so big?? I've got a ~2" shari on the buttressing of a real large BC and it was callousing-over all summer, not enlarging - I think! At least the edges of the wound are swelling, I should probably go measure them to be sure they're not separating on me, it blows my mind how a BC can get that degree of trunk die-back (I mean c'mon there's a branch right at the top of the wounding, not like it's a blank area of the tree lol, never understood how they die-back so bad and why I seldom/never see such die-back when exploring natural/in-ground BC groves..)
Awesome BC in any case, thing looks almost 1' across at the substrate level! Hoping to have a comparably sized trunk soon myself, this species is just tops!!!!

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Woweee!
He looks good.
@markyscott already noted it but 'Imperial' seems the designation (thanks Marky, I don't have to look it up now :D ), though I've gotta say I'm completely confused by your sentiment there, does anyone else see it that way, that Asia trends towards bigger specimen than the west does?
[IGNORE NEXT POST / DOUBLE-POST, APPARENTLY YOU CAN'T DELETE A POST EVEN IN THE 20MIN EDIT-WINDOW!]

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Woweee!
He looks good.
@markyscott already noted it but 'Imperial' seems the designation (thanks Marky, I don't have to look it up now :D ), though I've gotta say I'm completely confused by your sentiment there, does anyone else see it that way, that Asia trends towards bigger specimen than the west does?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
how did that shari get so big?

I believe it was carved, or at least enhanced by carving. If you look closely, you can still see the tool marks from when it was done. Something I’ll have to correct in the future.

looks almost 1' across at the substrate level!

16”

Reactions: SU2

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Congrats Scott! Hope it was a great weekend!

Thanks Brian. It was a great weekend and we had a fantastic turnout. But convening a convention of this scope is challenging especially when you’re trying to break some new ground. It surpassed my expectations, but I think I might have to sleep for a week.

S

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

If considering how long some oriental trees in collection(even if having sustainable development)may begin to make sense:confused:.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Are you nuts;)?

That goes without saying. But as a accent meant to suggest a setting, I thought it was very effective. Most of the time it seems like accents are either seasonal or ornamental - both are totally legit moves. I spent a good deal of time ensuring the water level was at the right height relative to the height of the soil level in the pot and I dribbled water in all weekend to keep it there. I was likely the only one that noticed though, ?.

S

Top Bottom