Shohin Zelkova

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice,Sergio.Just curious,were colors different from last years glorious show?

Curtis, the colors were different this year. Not quite as nice and why I was not inspired to take photos of it since I've seen better. Overall, some of my autumn colors were not quite as nice as last year's. I believe Bill mentioned the same with him. It all changes from year to year.

Kinda perfect.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Every year I've defoliated it in mid to late June to promote ramification

Hi Serg!

How's this beauty doing?

Can I please ask if you've played around with partial defoliation (either outer-canopy, or cutting leaves in half), or just go for the full defoliation?

Your progress with the nebari is impressive! Have you been repotting anually? Any tips? I’ve seen a few well ramified zelkova with nebari that look like fingers, but yours seems to have gone straight to plating! Love it!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Serg!

How's this beauty doing?

Can I please ask if you've played around with partial defoliation (either outer-canopy, or cutting leaves in half), or just go for the full defoliation?

Your progress with the nebari is impressive! Have you been repotting anually? Any tips? I’ve seen a few well ramified zelkova with nebari that look like fingers, but yours seems to have gone straight to plating! Love it!

Hi Derek,

This zelkova came out of winter slightly weaker than I would have liked. I immediately thought to pot it into something a bit bigger and deeper to regain its vigor. And... it did! So much so that I am on my second complete defoliation which I just did yesterday. Zelkova, and elms in general, can easily take full defoliation.

I have been repotting it annually and carefully correcting its roots as I go. Most likely I will look into potting it next year into a slightly larger container than it had originally. I think having it continuously in that small and very shallow pot, weakened it. So the primary objective this year has been to reinvigorate it.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So much so that I am on my second complete defoliation which I just did yesterday. Zelkova, and elms in general, can easily take full defoliation.
I just received my first Zelkova yesterday and it has lost quite a few leaves from what the vendor described as a very hot summer in his zone
Is it to late to defoliate in 6A?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sergio, the pot is perfect! The stand, as beautiful as it is, is a bit too ‘heavy’. I like the style of it, it just seems to be too bulky. In my opinion, the top and the legs are too thick. At least for THIS tree. I mean, I like the stand. It just seems to overpower the tree.

I hope you’re doing well!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sergio, the pot is perfect! The stand, as beautiful as it is, is a bit too ‘heavy’. I like the style of it, it just seems to be too bulky. In my opinion, the top and the legs are too thick. At least for THIS tree. I mean, I like the stand. It just seems to overpower the tree.

Funny, I feel almost completely the opposite about the stand tree pairing. I think the pot has a very light ethereal look to it.
Interesting how different sets of eyes view things. It is not the weight of the stand that I find a slight bit objectionable, it it probably more the shape and height of the stand.

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
the pot is pretty sexy. i love the blue ones, always imagining a stream or a lake scene. the legs of the stand do feel a little heavy and too long. though what's really bothering me is the air vent look of the design between the legs. reminds me of Nine-Tails' hangout spot through most of Shippuden 😊

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

The pairing could be improved further, sure! The stand serves well for a few other small trees that I have. Not bad I think but can be better. The tree BTW can also be and continues to be improved. Such is bonsai!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
the pot is pretty sexy. i love the blue ones, always imagining a stream or a lake scene. the legs of the stand do feel a little heavy and too long. though what's really bothering me is the air vent look of the design between the legs. reminds me of Nine-Tails' hangout spot through most of Shippuden 😊

I suppose different styles for different tastes. I actually think the fine vertical dowels mimic the intricacy of the ramification. I see too often smaller stands like these with a few chunky verticals that feel heavy handed to me.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I suppose different styles for different tastes. I actually think the fine vertical dowels mimic the intricacy of the ramification. I see too often smaller stands like these with a few chunky verticals that feel heavy handed to me.
I agree. The style of the stand is perfect for this type of tree. It’s just a little too large and heavy.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It looks like the trunk has thickened some in the 6 year period. wouldnt surprise me with this species, even in a bonsai pot. extremely vigorous

Reaction score
@MACH5 amazing development of the zelkova . Am curious if you have any picture of the tree of when you first received it in 2013 or so ? Did you grow it out in a deeper pot for 2 years before transferring to bonsai pot ?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MACH5 amazing development of the zelkova . Am curious if you have any picture of the tree of when you first received it in 2013 or so ? Did you grow it out in a deeper pot for 2 years before transferring to bonsai pot ?

Thanks! Unfortunately I do not have any pics. It originally came in a deeper pot that I used again (dark blue rectangular one) a couple of years back to get the tree a bit stronger after noticing a slight decline in its vigor. It came with a decent nebari and branch structure that just needed slow and steady development. There was no need for larger pots or boxes as strong growth and thickening was not the goal in this case.

Top Bottom