Should I be worried about this winter's on-off cold

seanothon

Seedling
Reaction score
I am in Cincinnati and we have been having a real strange winter, thus far. lately we have been having shifts from days of 60s to 30s and sometimes in the matter of a day. Should I be concerned about my bonsais getting shocked or injured? I have 2 junipers under my porch buried up to their pots.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You will be fine... it sounds like you've done the right things with keeping them in a protected space. Foliar damage would be a concern on tender deciduous trees if you got well below freezing fluxuations, but into the 30s wouldn't be a problem. Depending on the variety... junipers can survive zone even to zone 3 which is negative digits of cold. By keeping the trees buried, you are maintaining an average temp for the roots, which is the right thing to do.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your junipers are fine under mulch. Leave them be for another month. Like Vic said, it would be a different story with deciduos trees. I've got maples and elms in leaf, as temps have been up into the mid-70's in the last few weeks. We're now forecast to have nighttime lows in the low 20's. That's a disaster for leafed-out deciduous trees. I've got to bring all the leafed-out trees in until the cold breaks. It's back up into the low 70's mid-week, then back into the freeze come next weekend.

This "winter" is a wicked puzzler...

seanothon

Seedling
Reaction score
Your junipers are fine under mulch. Leave them be for another month. Like Vic said, it would be a different story with deciduos trees. I've got maples and elms in leaf, as temps have been up into the mid-70's in the last few weeks. We're now forecast to have nighttime lows in the low 20's. That's a disaster for leafed-out deciduous trees. I've got to bring all the leafed-out trees in until the cold breaks. It's back up into the low 70's mid-week, then back into the freeze come next weekend.

This "winter" is a wicked puzzler...

Ok, great. Just to make it clear, the nights have been dipping into the 20s during those 30s days. It's a very similar forecast to yours. There was snow on the ground this morning and it's supposed to get up to 65 in a few days.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just to make it clear, your junipers will be fine in those conditions.:) Conifers are equipped to handle cold much more effectively than in-leaf deciduous trees.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Junipers are tough. However, there toughness is usually based on their health, size etc. A healthy juniper can with stand quite a bit. As mentioned, I think you are doing everything right. One thing you may want to watch for is if your junies start pushing a lot of new growth. In this case you will need to start exposing them to some sun.

Pretty soon it will be Spring and hopefully we can all get back to normal bonsai concerns.

Rob

seanothon

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep an eye out for new growth.

Top Bottom