Should I wait a full growing season to pot new trees?

BDSM4trees

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’ve got a few new trees in the plastic gallon pots they were shipped in. Should i let them go a full growing season in the mushy potting soil they’re in or repot to proper bonsai soil in early spring like the rest?

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My first goal is always to repot and sort out the roots through corrective pruning, get it in a shallower pot, etc. If the tree is healthy, I wait to repot at the optimal time, which is early spring for most species. I don't see any reason to wait a full growing season.

Roots <-- You are here
Trunk
Branches
Foliage

The sooner you get the roots in good soil and growing well, the sooner the rest of the process can begin.

BDSM4trees

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
1. Ask yourself first, why are you repotting?;
2. Is for a particular reason, and if so, is it a good reason?;
3. If it's a good reason, why not repot sooner rather than later

Thank you. Yeah I’m mostly repotting to get it into a bonsai pot (aesthetic) and into some soil i can better control the moisture content in (health). I think those are good reasons and will do it. The trees are healthy in their current nursery bins but would certainly look better in ceramic with proper soil

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you. Yeah I’m mostly repotting to get it into a bonsai pot (aesthetic) and into some soil i can better control the moisture content in (health). I think those are good reasons and will do it. The trees are healthy in their current nursery bins but would certainly look better in ceramic with proper soil

Just throwing it out there: If you want to grow them out, for greater trunk thickness, maybe a training pot would be a better choice.

Some people build their own, others use these plastic bins called `Anderson Flats`, and you can always find other alternatives online.

In a bonsai pot, growth will be limited. But that also doesn't mean you shouldn't repot. I would because I want to understand the condition of the roots sooner rather than later.

Whatever floats your boat! :)

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome aboard! I look forward to hearing about your adventures in bonsai!

There are a couple things I’d be interested in knowing first before declaring it is repot time.

What are the trees you are working with, are they full fledged bonsai or nursery trees and what are your goals for each? Answering your questions about repotting is premature.

If your goals include growing these each out to get thicker trunks and better roots, putting trees in shallow bonsai pots with strict bonsai media will not be conducive to this goal. You’d be better off keeping these in a bigger pot with about a 70% inorganic mix and 30% organic like small sifted bark or similar until you sort these things out over the years. .

Looks come last after roots and trunk.

Cheers and good luck!
DSD sends

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Waiting for a year is usually a good idea if you do not have a lot of experience repotting and if the tree comes from an unknown seller. Reason is simple: If the tree dies on you, you will never know whether it was your repotting skill, or the health of the purchased tree.

If you know more, and have more experience, it is pretty much always a good idea to get it into good substrate as soon as the right time of the year for repotting passes by. Rarely is there a need to repot the day you get the trees (If you get a tree that is dying because of poor soil and it cannot be adjusted by position & watering adjustments, do not buy it; And if you do, you better know what you are doing).

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
*A reminder...landscape companies have been around a long time. If trees/plants succumbed to being planted in their potting mix...they wouldn't have a business.

There are goals we shoot for...when repotting. I happen to be a stickler for repotting guidelines as to repotting at ideal window of opportunity with a goal in mind. I also prefer allowing a tree to acclimate to my location.. understand it a bit. Before repotting. If its only for a nicer pot...I would wait.

But also understand When the ideal time for the species is for repotting. What substrate they can thrive in, as well as how hard can they handle root reduction. So...homework needs applied to each species.

BDSM4trees

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Wow, everyone, thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it.

Three trees that I'm contemplating repotting are:

1) Hinoki Sekka that will likely stay shohin size due to the foliar characteristics of the species. Tree is currently 11" tall and I'm not sure how much thicker the trunk should be so from what I've gathered, this is a nearer term repot candidate. It's sporting its winter purple right now. This tree was recently purchased from a cooler climate than mine so I'm hoping it turns green soon.

2) Hinoki Cypress that is roughly 28" tall, likely destined to stay a formal upright. I'm considering ground layering it above the ugly bulbous portion at the base, although I like the primary branches that come out of this bulb even though they are atypical for the style/species. Obviously if I do ground layer it, I would not repot near term. This tree was purchased in September.

3) Sabina Juniper purchased last spring as a shrub from a nursery, trimmed immediately then wired in the fall. Obviously this tree would be fun to let thicken up a lot and get large but considering my yard/real estate getting cramped along with the wiring that's already been done, I will most likely keep it shohin size. The soil in this pot retains a ton of moisture which worries me because from what I've read, sabinas prefer a dryer soil. My climate is relatively humid so I'd like to get this tree into an akadama blend for more control of the moisture.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter. Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_7640.jpg
    IMG_7640.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7400.jpg
    IMG_7400.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7126.jpg
    IMG_7126.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 43
Top Bottom