Snails in collected moss, should I get rid of it?

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, last Sunday I went for a walk and in my way back home I collected some moss, I placed it in a pie container that I re-purposed as a mini greenhouse. Today, when I opened the container in order to mist, I saw four very small snails (those are the ones I could find, but I bet there's more), I threw them to the garbage can; now, should I get rid of the whole container?

IMG_20200319_085738.jpg
IMG_20200319_085802.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@just.wing.it .....

Feed em to the chickens! 😝

If you keep the diligent eye on your trees regularly as you should already be doing, you won't miss a snail infestation iffin there is such a thing.

I don't mind the little buggers, a good healthy ecosystem.

Sorce

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@just.wing.it .....

Feed em to the chickens! 😝

If you keep the diligent eye on your trees regularly as you should already be doing, you won't miss a snail infestation iffin there is such a thing.

I don't mind the little buggers, a good healthy ecosystem.

Sorce
Thanks, I'm usually very friendly towards snails, but I'm not sure if they can wreak havoc in a bonsai environment without any natural predators.
I will keep the container for now and watch it closely, I'll return any unwanted visitor to the garden.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
They usually only eat unhealthy foliage or the fresh stuff. I have had serious snail infestations outdoors, but they only attack my magnolias and pseudoacacia. They leave the rest alone.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Everybody has to live somewhere. Drench the moss with a high N liquid fert and watch them abandon ship.

rich815

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
They usually only eat unhealthy foliage or the fresh stuff. I have had serious snail infestations outdoors, but they only attack my magnolias and pseudoacacia. They leave the rest alone.

Maybe snails only eat unhealthy foliage but I can report slugs eat very healthy foliage and flowers. Some went to town on a gorgeous spray of cymbidium orchid buds I had developing, the plant is healthy as can be and has other flower sprays coming but darned if they didn’t eat a few flower buds almost in their entirely before I found them. Out comes the Corey’s! Don’t need them munching my new spring bonsai growth. The black aphids are already starting to do that on one of my maples! Funny how 10 other maples have no aphids but they really love this one particular one for some reason, and it’s healthy too. Guess I should be happy it’s only one so far. Although one of my mini-roses seems to be attracting a couple of green aphids the last day or two. Can’t turn our backs for a minute it seems!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Maybe snails only eat unhealthy foliage but I can report slugs eat very healthy foliage and flowers. Some went to town on a gorgeous spray of cymbidium orchid buds I had developing, the plant is healthy as can be and has other flower sprays coming but darned if they didn’t eat a few flower buds almost in their entirely before I found them. Out comes the Corey’s! Don’t need them munching my new spring bonsai growth. The black aphids are already starting to do that on one of my maples! Funny how 10 other maples have no aphids but they really love this one particular one for some reason, and it’s healthy too. Guess I should be happy it’s only one so far. Although one of my mini-roses seems to be attracting a couple of green aphids the last day or two. Can’t turn our backs for a minute it seems!

Beer traps man, the cheapest solution! Both snails and slugs love drowning in beer.
Some pot growers around here get a 5V battery, cover it from the rain and span two copper wires, 1cm apart, around the pot connected to the + and - of the battery. When the slugs touch both wires, they get zapped.

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Everybody has to live somewhere. Drench the moss with a high N liquid fert and watch them abandon ship.
Well, I'm sure those four are having a blast, trash can is full of carrot and cucumber peels, apple leftovers, tomato vines, etc. 😆

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have always called the tiny snails "bush snails". They usually won't bother "real trees" with leathery foliage. But if you are trying to raise orchids, hosta, kusamono, or any delicate succulent leaf plant, they can skeletonize it over night.

There are slug and snail baits you can use. Beer is good. Or use beer like I do. Wait until dark, take a beer, and a flashlight, drink beer while hunting for slugs and snails. Dispatch slugs and snails by crushing them, a hammer works. Then take another gulp of beer.

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have always called the tiny snails "bush snails". They usually won't bother "real trees" with leathery foliage. But if you are trying to raise orchids, hosta, kusamono, or any delicate succulent leaf plant, they can skeletonize it over night.

There are slug and snail baits you can use. Beer is good. Or use beer like I do. Wait until dark, take a beer, and a flashlight, drink beer while hunting for slugs and snails. Dispatch slugs and snails by crushing them, a hammer works. Then take another gulp of beer.
I don't like drinking alone, so maybe I'll just share a beer with the snails 😆.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Homeless snails, AKA slugs eat whatever is available. I have a substantial Hosta garden which is often referred to as a shelter for homeless snails and the most expensive gardening chemical I use is Deadline Slug Bait. It's worth it for me and my use, but hard to find in small quantities. Sluggo works well enough for bonsai purposes and can be had for $10. Just put a few pieces on the surface and you win. If your dog also eats your trees, beware. Some dogs are not as discriminating as others.

Top Bottom