So confused

Koda'sgrandma

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am new to Bonsai, and I live in and area where people think bonsai is something you yell when you attack someone. So I have many questions. The more I read on line the more confused I get. I started by digging up a tiny mimosa that had no roots at all, and wondering if this was something I could do. While I was reading and waiting for my little tree to grow roots and a trunk, my husband bought me a juniper to work on. I have cut it back to get a good look at the trunk, and I do realize that I should wait until spring to trim the roots and re-pot. My question now is, would it be okay to go ahead and wire and finish trimming and shaping my tree?

Attachments

• IMG_2933.JPG
    IMG_2933.JPG
    322.5 KB · Views: 52

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I am new to Bonsai, and I live in and area where people think bonsai is something you yell when you attack someone. So I have many questions. The more I read on line the more confused I get. I started by digging up a tiny mimosa that had no roots at all, and wondering if this was something I could do. While I was reading and waiting for my little tree to grow roots and a trunk, my husband bought me a juniper to work on. I have cut it back to get a good look at the trunk, and I do realize that I should wait until spring to trim the roots and re-pot. My question now is, would it be okay to go ahead and wire and finish trimming and shaping my tree?
Yes, now is a fine time to wire a Juniper.

Koda'sgrandma

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As for tree advise, everything depends, first, on where you are.
I am in central West Virginia. The weather here is pretty mild right now. And we haven't had a hard winter in years, and no one really expects one this year, but you never know.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did mine about what would be the same time to your climate, And mine are well.

And I got a knack for Killin em!

Yours should be good too!

Make sure you leave those low branches, may be even untouched for strength.

That first right front one though, and the rest of the top, looks good to wire.

If you damage em a little, and they slow down, that's good cause the bottom ones can catch up in size.

Don't get too excited in spring, I'd wait to hear what time those folks down there pot. I'd guess early summer.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Koda'sgrandma

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I did mine about what would be the same time to your climate, And mine are well.

And I got a knack for Killin em!

Yours should be good too!

Make sure you leave those low branches, may be even untouched for strength.

That first right front one though, and the rest of the top, looks good to wire.

If you damage em a little, and they slow down, that's good cause the bottom ones can catch up in size.

Don't get too excited in spring, I'd wait to hear what time those folks down there pot. I'd guess early summer.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
Thanks for the advice. I really am all alone here. There are no clubs or centers anywhere near me. So I am learning everything on line. When my husband got the tree for me he said that I should be able to trim and wire it now. But I wanted to be sure before I tried. I don't mind telling you my hands shook the whole time I was trying to just clean it up and find the trunk. I kept thinking that I'm going to kill this poor thing. lol

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Relax!

I'm sure you have a good feel for what it can take now!

Don't be nervous!
If you kill this one I'm still winning by 6 or 7!

Look up the crafts.com thing in wiring. Word is you have to sign up for crafts then it's free.

All the Bonsai Art of Japan videos on YouTube are excellent.

Some folks your way oughtta chime in soon. You got a good week or 2 to wire it IMO. What kind of wire are you going to use. I would use copper.

Sorce

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get it wired and get some more trees to play with, if you only have one you will play it to death!

Welcome

Koda'sgrandma

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Get it wired and get some more trees to play with, if you only have one you will play it to death!

Welcome

Welcome
Thanks, your probably right. I have to wait for my mimosa to grow roots and a trunk before I can do anything with it. So I better get something besides just one lonely juniper or I will kill it with love. ;)

johnegert

Seedling
Reaction score
Ah, KG, how I envy you!!! There is no more wonderful feeling than looking at that first forlorn tree, squinting just a bit, and seeing that ancient forest giant, standing alone against the forces of nature, achieving grandeur!! Your task is to keep your beginner's mind, and that sense of wonder, intact. Let me give you some hard-won suggestions: Try to find a club to join near you-- those people will know what to do in your area, not in some climate totally different from yours. Get a book or two from the library, admire the work of others, and learn from their experience. Buy a couple of books--- My favorite on the el cheapo is "The Art of Bonsai" ( formerly titled "Miniature Trees and Landscapes"-- same book) by Yuji Yoshimura and Giovanna Halford. You can get it for almost nothing on the used market on Amazon. I also constantly return to "Bonsai Techniques I" by John Naka, but it has become too expensive to buy if you're new. The Sunset and Ortho books are pretty good and they, too are almost free (plus $4 shipping) used. The internet is a strange land populated in close proximity by rancid charlatans and talented artists-- watch 'em all and you'll soon be able to sort out good from crazy. If you can, find a teacher that your beginner's mind/instinct tells you is going to help you. Anybody who shakes with excitement when working on their trees is likely to become a total bonsai lunatic--- my kind of fool!
Dig in, Kiddo..... Your entering a glorious little world!!
john egert
Albuquerque

Koda'sgrandma

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ah, KG, how I envy you!!! There is no more wonderful feeling than looking at that first forlorn tree, squinting just a bit, and seeing that ancient forest giant, standing alone against the forces of nature, achieving grandeur!! Your task is to keep your beginner's mind, and that sense of wonder, intact. Let me give you some hard-won suggestions: Try to find a club to join near you-- those people will know what to do in your area, not in some climate totally different from yours. Get a book or two from the library, admire the work of others, and learn from their experience. Buy a couple of books--- My favorite on the el cheapo is "The Art of Bonsai" ( formerly titled "Miniature Trees and Landscapes"-- same book) by Yuji Yoshimura and Giovanna Halford. You can get it for almost nothing on the used market on Amazon. I also constantly return to "Bonsai Techniques I" by John Naka, but it has become too expensive to buy if you're new. The Sunset and Ortho books are pretty good and they, too are almost free (plus $4 shipping) used. The internet is a strange land populated in close proximity by rancid charlatans and talented artists-- watch 'em all and you'll soon be able to sort out good from crazy. If you can, find a teacher that your beginner's mind/instinct tells you is going to help you. Anybody who shakes with excitement when working on their trees is likely to become a total bonsai lunatic--- my kind of fool!
Dig in, Kiddo..... Your entering a glorious little world!!
john egert
Albuquerque
Thank you, I have discovered that there is one club 2 hours away from me. With my age and health that is not an option. I live out in the country and they meet in the evenings. So I would have to drive very late at night to get home. I have been thinking of contacting them and seeing if they have any members out this way. The club is part of WVU . So I figure it is mostly made up of the students on campus. I do have the book Bonsai Basics by Christian Pessey & Remy Samson. I have also found that The Bonsai Learning Center in Mooresville NC has a wealth of information online, and the owner has no problem answering questions on the phone. I am really glad that I found everyone here. I really don't feel so alone now. Thanks again.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know just how you feel. The nearest club near me is almost 2 hours away also. I've only had internet service for 3 years. I had been doing this in seclusion since my twenties. I lost all of my first collection and let bonsai go for a while. I didn't even think no one else but a few people in the United States did bonsai. Imagine the shock when I Googled it for the first time! That led me here. Since then I've been to 2 shows and have made a couple of good friends. Also seeing someone else's trees helped me.
I joined a club this last year. I don't go to meetings or none of the regular stuff. It's 3 hours away. I joined so I could show some of my trees and so I could sell and give away trees I collect in the wild. Yes give.
If you feel like some reading,go through all of the old threads on here about the trees you are interested in. There are hundreds of pictures if bonsai. Find a member whose trees you like and pm them. Most on here are willing to help one on one. This forum is a good place to get help and ideas for your trees.
There is a lot of screwing around on here but that helps to make things interesting. Sift through the fluff and you can find almost all you need right here.
Welcome to the Bonsai Nut Forum. The best one in the world. Period!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
more I read on line the more confused I get.

Yup. That is the problem with the Internet. Take a look at the articles at www.evergreengardenworks.com. They're about the best there is on line for growers in the USA. Bonsai 4 Me site is pretty British.

But go to you library and see what's there on the subject. Or try a book store.

Koda'sgrandma

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know just how you feel. The nearest club near me is almost 2 hours away also. I've only had internet service for 3 years. I had been doing this in seclusion since my twenties. I lost all of my first collection and let bonsai go for a while. I didn't even think no one else but a few people in the United States did bonsai. Imagine the shock when I Googled it for the first time! That led me here. Since then I've been to 2 shows and have made a couple of good friends. Also seeing someone else's trees helped me.
I joined a club this last year. I don't go to meetings or none of the regular stuff. It's 3 hours away. I joined so I could show some of my trees and so I could sell and give away trees I collect in the wild. Yes give.
If you feel like some reading,go through all of the old threads on here about the trees you are interested in. There are hundreds of pictures if bonsai. Find a member whose trees you like and pm them. Most on here are willing to help one on one. This forum is a good place to get help and ideas for your trees.
There is a lot of screwing around on here but that helps to make things interesting. Sift through the fluff and you can find almost all you need right here.
Welcome to the Bonsai Nut Forum. The best one in the world. Period!
Thanks, I just found this forum last night and everyone has been wonderful.

Top Bottom