So... Noelanders XX?

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm 6 km away from the venue and I've got no chance of waking my wife to drive me so I'm just trying to talk myself into waking up early enough to catch the opening. So yeah @leatherback I'm thinking I'll crawl in by 10ish.

Reaction score
@leatherback no bro, you have to go buy glasses! I'm here for the weekend, just not for the Saturday dinner!

@Mihai was great to meet you and eat together!

See you guys all in the morning! I'll be helping out either at the Stone Monkey Ceramics stand or the European Bonsai Potter Collective stand, not sure if I can escape them!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well, this was my first show ever.
I didn't know what to expect, but it turned out more or less as expected.

Special thanks to mr. Neil for adding to the Japanese translations.
Special thanks to the crew over there as well, everything looked very well arranged. Friendly and hospitable people.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Was a good show, Nice people great Day and met some great fellow Nuts!

Yeah i know i al bad took some pics
This celtis was one of my favoutites!

Attachments

• IMG_20190209_162039.jpg
    IMG_20190209_162039.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 41

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great to finally meet some of our fellow European BNuts. The show is pretty spectacular as expected. I will share pics when I get back to the States. Coming back for round two on Sunday. The vending area is nothing short of amazing. WOW!!

The show also features a special display of Luis Vallejo's trees. What a treat!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great to finally meet some of our fellow European BNuts. The show is pretty spectacular as expected. I will share pics when I get back to the States. Coming back for round two on Sunday. The vending area is nothing short of amazing. WOW!!

I would imagine that's almost worth the price of admission by itself! Have subscribed to Bonsai Focus for a few years now and there are a LOT of his trees
that show up in the articles and galleries. He must have quite a collection.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

What Mach5 said!

Great to meet you too. That thuja thing is certainly something we should take a closer look at. I'd post the picture of the bnut crew but yours was much better so I'll just wait for that.

First thing that came to mind with Luis Vallejo's trees was: he must have huge garden... World class trees for sure.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would imagine that's almost worth the price of admission by itself! Have subscribed to Bonsai Focus for a few years now and there are a LOT of his trees
that show up in the articles and galleries. He must have quite a collection.

His collection is nothing short of spectacular. He has many trees but overall his collection is not as large as one would think. But each tree is designed and composed extremely well.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What Mach5 said!

Great to meet you too. That thuja thing is certainly something we should take a closer look at. I'd post the picture of the bnut crew but yours was much better so I'll just wait for that.

First thing that came to mind with Luis Vallejo's trees was: he must have huge garden... World class trees for sure.

Yes, I was surprised when Arnold said his Thuja does not turn yellow in the fall. Even the ones in my landscape turn yellow and shed some of their foliage. I know you can minimize this but pruning them in August. In any case maybe a different cultivar, environment etc.

I should point out that Luis’ collection makes up the Alcobendas Museum in Madrid which I’m sure funded by the city itself at least to some degree. The museum, beautifully designed by Luis himself, is rather quaint and not nearly as large when compared to other public gardens or museums. It employs three people to take care of the trees, one of which is none other than Mario Komsta considered by many one of the best in the world. He is credited in large part for the styling and subsequent maintenance of said trees. The museum contains trees that were collected by Luis himself as well as many imports from Japan, several from Kimura.

Last edited:

Arnold_K

Shohin
Reaction score
And here come my pictures to the nut_meeting in Belgium.

Sergio aka MAcH5
Jeff aka Fonz
Arnie aka Arnold_K
Dennis aka Defra
sorry aka Leatherback
Dirk aka Dirk Horelbee

Nice to meet you gentlemen!-

nut_meetimg_1.jpg
nut_meetimg_2.jpg

The exhibition itself was high-level as all the years before.
Since it was an anniversary-event, there had been many former participants selected to display there trees from that times.
Therefore the amount of "fresh trees" was smaller than usually.
The space for the traders-zones is increasing, and that is fine (imho).
People from whole of Europe may come to the trophy to provide themselves with Material, tools, informations, pots and tress of course.
Denfenitly the years highlight according to bonsai-events.

Greetings Arnie

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And here come my pictures to the nut_meeting in Belgium.

Sergio aka MAcH5
Jeff aka Fonz
Arnie aka Arnold_K
Dennis aka Defra
sorry aka Leatherback
Dirk aka Dirk Horelbee

Nice to meet you gentlemen!-

View attachment 226593
View attachment 226594

The exhibition itself was high-level as all the years before.
Since it was an anniversary-event, there had been many former participants selected to display there trees from that times.
Therefore the amount of "fresh trees" was smaller than usually.
The space for the traders-zones is increasing, and that is fine (imho).
People from whole of Europe may come to the trophy to provide themselves with Material, tools, informations, pots and tress of course.
Denfenitly the years highlight according to bonsai-events.

Greetings Arnie
Awesome!

But next year we should pose in front of the BNut boot instead of Bonsai Empire :p

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah for some reason we missed you. I did see you walking around somewhere in the distance…
It was my first Trophy and I felt like a kid in the candy store. Was convinced that you guys settled for Sunday at 11.30 behind the checkin counter. Eh, no worries. I will definitely be back next year.

Reaction score
One of the biggest differences with other years is that the selection process was more objective and stricter. No freshly styled trees were allowed. And that was obvious. A tree on a high end show should at least have the mayor branches and most of the rest set without help. Last year I've seen a lot of fresh styled trees and/or with wrong pruned and uneven growth. It was far below the high end standard that is now set. There are still a lot of high end trees out there. I hope this is a new beginning.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Had fun! Was a goood weekend.

A few trees. More to come later.

Attachments

• thetrophy_20190211_1.jpg
    thetrophy_20190211_1.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 22
  • thetrophy_20190211_2.jpg
    thetrophy_20190211_2.jpg