Software

Lucas_H

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi everyone. I haven't posted here in quite awhile, been very busy with life! As I am a software developer, I have been itching to build an application for bonsai! I was curious if you guys ever though about having some sort of "dream application" for your bonsai collection and if so what kind of features would you want it to have? I'm being very serious in writing this. A co-worker and I are wanting to branch out and start producing our own software.

Lucas_H

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Additionally, I do realize that there are other programs that exist but to be honest, I have tried out many of them and I was never really impressed by them.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
@Cypress187 was working on something. You might want to sync up.

I had asked my son to look into this with him. Initially my son was interested but his course load at college picked up quite a bit this term.

Good luck.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi man, I have made some affords to make a bonsai game. At the moment it's not very far but I have some idea's for it, and would love to combine / join your project. My idea (and dream) is to make it in Unity3d which I have the most experience in, can be ported to most platforms (Flash / iOS / Android) and uses Javascript / CSharp (perhaps also LUA), and I'm pretty sure u can compile/publish projects with the free/student version. I'm specialized in graphics (3D in particular) and I can do some coding and scripting.

Here is a list I brainstormed over the time (from basic to crazy features):

Minimal functions:
● Draw a tree (*Build blocks are: Trunk, Primary branch, Secondary branches, Pads)
● Edit a tree (scale/rotate/add/remove any block*, auto-taper button).
● Save tree (Send someone the design so they can edit)
● Export tree (JPG / make it (very) easy to share)

Extended functions:
● Multiple / advanced textures (Bark/Leaves)
● Grow sapling, simulation (Simulate buds/branches/leaves)
● Maintain tree (Give water, fertilizer, possibility to kill tree's)

Advanced (future) functions:
● Save multiple tree’s (and or trade / sell / buy tree’s)
● Credit system (perks?, perform special actions on ur tree’s)
● Seasons (Weather influence)

Crazy functions:
● Quests (Make a bonsai in style X with species Y, and win something?)
● Competition (Overcome multiple obstacles (disease?) and be the last tree standing/PVP?)
● Import a picture

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The game sounds a bit like the facebook farm games and ciber pets. Might be fun, if you like that sorta thing.

Lucas_H

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey Cypress, that sounds pretty interesting. Have you ever thought about possibly applying it to a real bonsai? I think it would be cool to have a tool that would let you see what your bonsai would look like if you wired it this way or that way, etc... That way it kinda makes it more than a game but a visual tool to help you shape your trees. Thinking about the coding involved is a bit mind-bending but I think it would be worth it to those who really get into stuff like this.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man I would love something like that. I can see an array of uses for it. I would even be prepared to buy an app like that.

Lucas_H

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That is exactly what I was think as well Fredman! I think it would be interesting. Of course I can't imagine the horrors of the first initial run of it.... there are always bugs no matter what the software. I'd imagine it would take some time and patience to work the kinks out but after all is said and done it'd be worth it in the long run. I am definitely more than willing for a collab on this. It would have to be after May 14 though (still finishing up school and between a full time job, family, and school, my schedule is a bit hectic at the moment).

Top Bottom