SoHem Nation, Kiwi Check-in.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Speaking of going bush and collecting trees what are the rules/laws here? Id like to go on a few digs this spring.

Hi,
Not 100% sure but my guess is that farmland and asking their permission will work. There is always side of road stuff.
Probably not on Dept of Conservation or National Parks land. Way uncool there.
Charles

Cuzza

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Has anyone had much experience with Corokia? Advice would be appreaciated thanks.

Cuzza

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Just went to check on my maple tree in the garden, looks pretty dead ☹
Did you scratch back some of the bark? If theres green there at all you should be okay. Most of my failed branches or trunks turned pure black when dead...

SpOoNzL

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Cuzza I brought a Corokia little prince about 1 month ago, so I wouldn't say I have much experience but I did cut it back about 30-40% of both foliage and roots and seems to be still living ok. They seem to be quite wiry and have sparse foliage looks pretty low maintenance. 1st pic is of mine will take some better photos soon. Other pics are of the net, it gets nice little yellow flowers and red berries witch is kinda cool.

Attachments

• mybonsais 070.jpg
    mybonsais 070.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 29
  • corokiacotoneaster.jpg
    corokiacotoneaster.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 71Jm0wkkW9L._SL1023_.jpg
    71Jm0wkkW9L._SL1023_.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 34

Cuzza

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
@Cuzza I brought a Corokia little prince about 1 month ago, so I wouldn't say I have much experience but I did cut it back about 30-40% of both foliage and roots and seems to be still living ok. They seem to be quite wiry and have sparse foliage looks pretty low maintenance. 1st pic is of mine will take some better photos soon. Other pics are of the net, it gets nice little yellow flowers and red berries witch is kinda cool.
Nice tree, I just bough one a couple of days ago, there wasn't much with taller trunks, so I went with this and was considering bending the more curving branch back towards the straighter one for a windswept style. However I now think I will be letting it grow for a bit to learn and then removing one of the branches to create something more upright.
I wasn't sure how much roots I could remove or if it could be barerooted, so it go about 30-40% off and teased out quite bit. Didnt touch more than a handful of branches either so I have options later.

Attachments

• 20190901_111514.jpg
    20190901_111514.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 29

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice tree, I just bough one a couple of days ago, there wasn't much with taller trunks, so I went with this and was considering bending the more curving branch back towards the straighter one for a windswept style. However I now think I will be letting it grow for a bit to learn and then removing one of the branches to create something more upright.
I wasn't sure how much roots I could remove or if it could be barerooted, so it go about 30-40% off and teased out quite bit. Didnt touch more than a handful of branches either so I have options later.

Hi Cuzza,
I don’t have a Corokia at home here, but at the nursery where I work there a shed loads used in the landscape and home garden market.
From my limited experience I am guessing they like well drained and can probably handle it dryish like pines. Some bonsai soil is great for them.
I like what you have started so keep buying more plants to experience more
If it helps, my home nursery has over 100 trees/shrubs growing and waiting for 5 years plus grrr to do anything. I only have 2 or 3 trees that I am trying to ramify etc. I practice wiring stuff through the season or otherwise it is boring waiting.
Charles

Cuzza

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi Cuzza,
I don’t have a Corokia at home here, but at the nursery where I work there a shed loads used in the landscape and home garden market.
From my limited experience I am guessing they like well drained and can probably handle it dryish like pines. Some bonsai soil is great for them.
I like what you have started so keep buying more plants to experience more
If it helps, my home nursery has over 100 trees/shrubs growing and waiting for 5 years plus grrr to do anything. I only have 2 or 3 trees that I am trying to ramify etc. I practice wiring stuff through the season or otherwise it is boring waiting.
Charles
Sure is boring waiting. After doing that work on my maple, I already find myself impatiently waiting for it to respond one way or another.
I am finally seeing my gumpo budding out from its cut back, not the kurumes yet though. At least that's exciting to see the change. A couple of elm and a ginkgo arriving this week to trunk chop, any advice on either is appreciated. I'll post up photos when they arrive. Online buying though so lottery as to what I'm working with.
Found a young sangu kaku and a Colorado blue spruce too which should be interesting.

SpOoNzL

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Has anyone had any experience with Hebe Warieka? I picked one up from mitre10 yesterday and had an itch today to try style it and put it into shallow pot. I think I went abit to nuts and cut of to many roots as they were mainly at the bottom of about a 20cm deep nursery pot. Took out some of the nursery soil and cut probley 70% roots and 50% foliage and planted it in a 50/50 mix of pine bark/pumice gave it a good water and put it in my cold glass house. Really hope I didn't kill this one :( is there anything else I could do to try increase its chances?

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Has anyone had any experience with Hebe Warieka? I picked one up from mitre10 yesterday and had an itch today to try style it and put it into shallow pot. I think I went abit to nuts and cut of to many roots as they were mainly at the bottom of about a 20cm deep nursery pot. Took out some of the nursery soil and cut probley 70% roots and 50% foliage and planted it in a 50/50 mix of pine bark/pumice gave it a good water and put it in my cold glass house. Really hope I didn't kill this one :( is there anything else I could do to try increase its chances?

Hi SpooNZL,
I haven’t tried hebe but I have tried a coloured leaf Coprosma. Coprosma was great fun, as it grew fast and ramified quickly. Threw this out as my priorities changed.
As for hebe and Coprosma I guess you have to make a call on whether you want to grow pretty plants that won’t really become trees. So my preference is to grow trees that inspire me from gardens/parks/botanical gardens etc all that are long lived and recognised as tree species. Azaleas are my exception, as they give colour to my nursery. Collection is up to 50 odd cultivars (😱😁👌). My thoughts etc.

Grow what you want to grow is the name of this patient hobby, as you will be looking/watering/repotting etc them 👍
Charles

Reaction score
North Auckland (whangaparaoa), New Zealand
USDA Zone
10b
All I know is piss in NZ means beer. To be pissed is to be drunk. My college rugby coach confused me with that one a couple of times before I caught on.

Actually you can use any word to mean drunk.

Man you should of seen me last night, totally a glazed ham. I got so pyjama'd. My mates were also lollipoped

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Two Australian podcasts I’ve been listening to:
Modern Bonsai - Bonsai En
&
Bonsai Stuff - Bonsai Matsu

Good things

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol @LanceMac10 the only one to like the names of drunk post!

Me....

Started work at 8 and no one is here yet so....
20190906_084716.jpg

Fuck em!

It's 5 o'clock at Grimmy's house!

Sorce

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do either of them talk about Aussie natives much?

If so I'd give them a listen.
For sure, use of natives and how they divert from other commonly used species in bonsai is definitely a theme.
Modern Bonsai is more in-depth and long form....weather/seasonality also.

Matsu is more fast an loose.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
For sure, use of natives and how they divert from other commonly used species in bonsai is definitely a theme.
Modern Bonsai is more in-depth and long form....weather/seasonality also.

Matsu is more fast an loose.

Cool I'll check them out, my family will be thrilled with the new playlist.

Top Bottom