Some trident seedling

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
So, all the trees dug and root pruned have survived and are budding out, as are the ones that weren't touched. Let's see what we have for them.
I'm pretty sure these two were put in the ground 3 years ago, and the roots show it... lopsided growth with several very oversized, dominant roots. The first one got put back in the ground to build more trunk, but the second one has nice, subtle taper and went into an anderson flat. It'll get a boat load of root grafts next spring.
IMG_3764.jpgIMG_3763.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3764.jpg
    IMG_3764.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 1

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm pretty sure these next two have only been in the ground for two years, though I could be wrong. The trunks are smaller and the roots are better, though only marginally so on the last one. They both went into the ground but I may dig them in a year or so.
IMG_3765.jpgIMG_3766.jpgIMG_3767.jpg
IMG_3768.jpg
IMG_3769.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sooooooo...... my pointer struck again last November. He decided the little tree in the picture above needed to go because there was a fictitious chipmunk hiding under it... I came home from work to find this.... ugh! View attachment 226644

Well, tridents are tough, resilient trees, so I cut the leader back, put it into a 3 gal nursery can with soil, cleaned up and covered the few remaining roots and proceeded to nurse it through the winter, moving it in and out of my garage as needed to keep it cool/cold without allowing it to freeze. Well, a few days ago, I it was beginning to grow... Yeah! Time to salvage this one!
View attachment 226645
View attachment 226646View attachment 226647

I cut back the one large root that was too high above the root base
View attachment 226648

Applied a few rabbit chewed trident seedling root graftsView attachment 226653

Proposed front...(fingers crossed)
View attachment 226654

Potted up and secured into a cut down 3 gal nursery can, ready for (hopefully) pointer free growing season!
View attachment 226655
So, I performed several approach grafts here last summer... 2 out of 3 took. Also, 2 of the 3 root grafts took. The lowest 2 branches are grafted, and the wired up branch will be the new leader/apex. This one's in akadama now;)
IMG_3770.jpgIMG_3772.jpgIMG_3773.jpgIMG_3774.jpg

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Tomatoes cages for frost protection? I just did that this past weekend

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That’s what you said last time!

you’re as stubborn as I am! Lol!

I participated in the Atlanta Bonsai Society repotting session at the Monastery yesterday. We repotted 25 of their Dave Cantrell Japanese Maples. All of which are badly overgrown, and have no taper. Which is sad. And they’re all for sale with high prices! True, they’re old trees. 30 to 40 years old, I’d guess. But every one needs to be “started over”.

Here’s a picture of the lot:

1F9235FE-E0AC-4C13-AD47-CEDBAE4F2237.jpeg

True: they all have thin root balls! They all are about 2 to 2.5 feet tall, with very little taper from nebari to within 4 inches of the top. Little ramification, long internodes, but the have branches all along the trunks. No wire scars that I noticed. They’re priced from $800 to $1200, from what I could see.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

I participated in the Atlanta Bonsai Society repotting session at the Monastery yesterday. We repotted 25 of their Dave Cantrell Japanese Maples. All of which are badly overgrown, and have no taper. Which is sad. And they’re all for sale with high prices! True, they’re old trees. 30 to 40 years old, I’d guess. But every one needs to be “started over”.

View attachment 285169

True: they all have thin root balls! They all are about 2 to 2.5 feet tall, with very little taper from nebari to within 4 inches of the top. Little ramification, long internodes, but the have branches all along the trunks. No wire scars that I noticed. They’re priced from $800 to $1200, from what I could see.
All of the in ground trees have a lot of growing on ahead of them. I'm going to see how they bud back this year and decide where they're going. At least right now, I see the possibility of both trunks growing in to taller, feminine trees with a little finessing, but I'm not afraid to chop down the road if needed and don't mind adding a few more years to the trunk's development... I've already got too many projects in pots:).

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All of the in ground trees have a lot of growing on ahead of them. I'm going to see how they bud back this year and decide where they're going. At least right now, I see the possibility of both trunks growing in to taller, feminine trees with a little finessing, but I'm not afraid to chop down the road if needed and don't mind adding a few more years to the trunk's development... I've already got too many projects in pots:).
Groot looks bored.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score

View attachment 285169

Yeah they had most last year too so they are not turning at the price points. I did think some were pretty though as there were some with nice movement. They had some nice used pots when I was there a month ago. Some Nick Lenz and Sarah Raynor pots.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah they had most last year too so they are not turning at the price points. I did think some were pretty though as there were some with nice movement. They had some nice used pots when I was there a month ago. Some Nick Lenz and Sarah Raynor pots.
Well, other than those, I didn’t see any other trees that were anything special. A whole bunch of starters. Lots of production pots.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This one has developed some issues that will require some finesse to overcome. Adventitious roots off the root base and not wrapped to the trunk did the bulk of growing last year, leading to mediocre development of roots actually on the rock. Along with that, the nylon twine made some nasty cuts into the trunk because it fattened up too much. I've got a few ideas on how to remedy it, and will likely apply them sooner then later. Any way, we'll give this one another year to get it's act together ;) .
IMG_3814.jpgIMG_3815.jpgIMG_3816.jpgIMG_3817.jpgIMG_3818.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Almost forgot about this guy… I redid the chop scar midway through last summer because it was “excessive“ :). Anyway, the chop scar is already halfway closed and won’t be around for another 1 to 2 years
That's an insane trident! Love the gentle taper!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve just sown 60 trident sends. They were steerieod in the fridge. How long do they generally take to germinate?
IF stratification was complete, within a few days after putting in a warm spot the first can start germination.

Top Bottom