Species Study - Acer Platenoides/Acer Rubrum

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If only they made jumbo ones for THICK branches..🤔
I’m trying some other mediums for air layers . My interest is in air layers in the wild. . Which I have a thread here . Mainly thinking of water retention long term and S moss can be difficult to untangle from delicate roots to train a nice nebari my research has lead to rooting hormone mixed with water and sprayed periodically as a foiler feed can be beneficial for difficult to root species

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’m trying some other mediums for air layers . My interest is in air layers in the wild. . Which I have a thread here . Mainly thinking of water retention long term and S moss can be difficult to untangle from delicate roots to train a nice nebari my research has lead to rooting hormone mixed with water and sprayed periodically as a foiler feed can be beneficial for difficult to root species
I have heard of people using peat moss, pearlite and milled sphagnum and just plain bonsai soil. These medias are easier to apply when you use a pot with a slit down the side though. I recon you could do that then wrap the whole thing with the plastic bag.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have heard of people using peat moss, pearlite and milled sphagnum and just plain bonsai soil. These medias are easier to apply when you use a pot with a slit down the side though. I recon you could do that then wrap the whole thing with the plastic bag.
I have 3 going 2 with absorbent ( de) and different amounts of peat moss And one with S moss and DE . All soaked. In water and hormone Wrapped in plastic. Wire ties above and below Hard plastic shelf held in place from below with butyl to promote root spread outside covering black . 2 white oak and one common needle juniper butyl for those that don’t know is stick synthetic tar like stuff used to seal things l like windows in cars and RV s not the more modern glue in a caulking gun more like sticky putty

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have 3 going 2 with absorbent ( de) and different amounts of peat moss And one with S moss and DE . All soaked. In water and hormone Wrapped in plastic. Wire ties above and below Hard plastic shelf held in place from below with butyl to promote root spread outside covering black . 2 white oak and one common needle juniper butyl for those that don’t know is stick synthetic tar like stuff used to seal things l like windows in cars and RV s not the more modern glue in a caulking gun more like sticky putty
I’m interested to see how the oak does, I’ve been trying to figure out a good way to put a shelf in.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Alrighty, I figure I'll share a couple of my favorite, Rubrum... Because most of my previous Reds turned out to be Freemani. 🤣

This specimen grew only four inches it's first year. This year, it grew from 2 buds only, growing in between 3-4" from those two buds... If this trait remains "true" next season... I'll need to get papers on it. :)IMG_20221107_110425.jpg

This is a fusion project, started LAST fall.... Come spring we will see was'ha'nin!
IMG_20221107_110356.jpg

Here are a good chunk of my "Rubrum selects" from this year.

Seeds provided by our friend, @19Mateo83 , ... As it TURNS OUT, and I recently discovered, Rubrums that grow in Carolina (and NEAR locales, I'm sure) are actually TERMED and categorized differently by certain "Maple growers/"breeders".... Being someone who has seen a few Rubrum sprout, I can say, comfortably, that they DO seem different!

Here are the "Selects" (right at the start of color change/leaf drop, they are 'nude', now.)IMG_20220909_155701.jpg

Top Bottom