Species Study - Acer Platenoides/Acer Rubrum

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Where did you select them πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚what’s the giraffe pole
Hehe! I selected them from about 35-40 or so that We planted in a pile of leaves and compost.. These 4 platenoides (one is dying) were the only ones that had more "desirable" characteristics.

So the rest are in the burn pit now...

I'd keep it for landscape stock, like I do with "non-desireable" Rubrum, Sacharinum and Freemani... but getting rid of platenoides is weird.... It's categorized invasive up here.

But Arbor Day plants them everywhere... maybe the "crimson" cultivars are less prone to ivasive tenencies

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I was speaking with @leatherback on a Youtube comment section (If you HAVEN'T watched any videos by 'Growing Bonsai by Jelle' you ABSOLUTELY MUST!!) about a certain approach I was taking to a few maples in early development, as it reminded me of an approach I had just witnessed him outline.

Basically growing sacrifices on tops of your Maples.. throughout development... planning around 2 seasons ahead. (Most likely just until trunkline is "set")

But here are a few that I am developing in this manner... I realize NOW that one is A. Freemani... but Thhatsoque.
199011AD-7418-4424-BE39-E135B55F2FF1.jpegD645CCB6-5915-4993-A77D-3393B846B6ED.jpeg4F5F583B-99DB-4E21-BB52-09B0F0D2123E.jpeg

Now go watch a "Growing Bonsai from Jelle" video...

Comment in the comments section that you came from BNUT, and that I sent you, and I'll film a clip of me screaming a five-word sentence of your choosing, off the pier, into the great Lake.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

(I feel I will regret this)

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That sounds like a fantastic life you're leading.

Most folks know my story, and I normally wear myself on my sleeve, but I'll quick sum it up in a similar fashion.

Entire Family (even aunts/uncles through grandma) USMC... moved around a lot. Born in Portsmouth, VA. Basically had "good" upbringing besides the Church Cult and unrelenting perfectionism. Toured around playing music a little before and intermittently throughout college years. Also becoming a large figure in..... well... let's keep it simple... "Crime"... Eventually eased out of Crime to become A drunken addict (I state them separately for a reason) for 6-10 years straight. An ABSOLUTE menace... A reckless animal that destroyed many lives and personal relationships..

Got clean , and then 1.5 years later.. got sober (alcohol) (it'll be three years on the 29th) started collecting books and reading again..started gardening again... found bonsai, started making music again, learned how to "clay"...

Only forward and up..
Salutations, it's a hard place to be and come back from. Honestly, I think my tree friends saved and continue saving me

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@HorseloverFat I’m not so much worried about starting the β€œOctober glory” seeds. I just air layer off the mother tree in my front yard 😁 I’m happy you are seeing sprouts! E0FE77FA-8C9A-4781-88AE-EC7850D18340.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@HorseloverFat I’m not so much worried about starting the β€œOctober glory” seeds. I just air layer off the mother tree in my front yard 😁 I’m happy you are seeing sprouts! View attachment 444002
At first glance..

This tree/ling looks SHACKLED to your wrist...

He must be on his way to court.

Those belts... SUCK!!!!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The poppies near them
are getting tall...

Might be time for a seedling-so-far transplant, and a couple days in the warm-frame.
Awesome! I’m happy they are growing. I repotted that October glory last night, it was already root bound in that little pot. I picked as much of the sphagnum out as I dared and put it in something a little more permanent.
image.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Awesome! I’m happy they are growing. I repotted that October glory last night, it was already root bound in that little pot. I picked as much of the sphagnum out as I dared and put it in something a little more permanent.
View attachment 444838
Looks nice!

Keep it in the shade...

And bag it/enclose it to ensure success.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
tree collected as plant identifier app claimed the first leaves were black maple I had my doubts from the start based on red stem true leaves make it red maple for sure 😎😎

Attachments

• 076E058B-CCE3-43AE-9D7A-9E9850B22BD4.jpeg
    076E058B-CCE3-43AE-9D7A-9E9850B22BD4.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 7

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
e

never seen those before explain please

You fill the the halves of the pod with moist sphagnum then do the usual girdle and hormone then clip and zip tie the pod around the branch. This was my first time using them, seems to me easier than the plastic bag and wire but you do have to pay more attention to the moisture level in the moss.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

You fill the the halves of the pod with moist sphagnum then do the usual girdle and hormone then clip and zip tie the pod around the branch. This was my first time using them, seems to me easier than the plastic bag and wire but you do have to pay more attention to the moisture level in the moss.
Thanks buddy never seen them before like you said looks nice and simple . πŸ‘πŸ‘

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top Bottom