Spending more on the tools to build my stand than a new stand will cost (because: new toys)

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm going to need display stands once I'm happy with the bald cypresses I'm styling. The pot will likely be 20"x12" or larger. This will make the display table 30"x 18". This will make the table a custom job. This will make the table at least $300.

I'm wrong, right? What's the real number, $400, $500?

I'm a crafty fellow. I'll use reclaimed woods. There's a reclaimed supplies store in New Orleans called "The Green Project". I can get damaged wood doors for $12. The woods panels are solid and beautiful (one man's trash). A few passes through the table saw. A few passes with my router. Some wood glue and sanding and it's a table!

And that's what I'm telling my wife.

I just found a great deal on a DeWalt wood planer. I'm going to make the reclaimed table look great! $400 with free shipping! For a $700 planer! I'm saving $300 to make a $300 table!

That's sound logic. Isn't it?

Hmmmm..... When I sell my third or fourth custom table I'll tell my wife what I spent.

...and a belt sander. I definitely need a belt sander...

...and a jointer...

...router table...

...a warehouse...

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm going to need display stands once I'm happy with the bald cypresses I'm styling. The pot will likely be 20"x12" or larger. This will make the display table 30"x 18". This will make the table a custom job. This will make the table at least $300.

I'm wrong, right? What's the real number, $400, $500?

I'm a crafty fellow. I'll use reclaimed woods. There's a reclaimed supplies store in New Orleans called "The Green Project". I can get damaged wood doors for $12. The woods panels are solid and beautiful (one man's trash). A few passes through the table saw. A few passes with my router. Some wood glue and sanding and it's a table!

And that's what I'm telling my wife.

I just found a great deal on a DeWalt wood planer. I'm going to make the reclaimed table look great! $400 with free shipping! For a $700 planer! I'm saving $300 to make a $300 table!

That's sound logic. Isn't it?

Hmmmm..... When I sell my third or fourth custom table I'll tell my wife what I spent.

...and a belt sander. I definitely need a belt sander...

...and a jointer...

...router table...

...a warehouse...

As a carpenter. your math is 100% sound.

Don't forget a good table saw...

oh and a good miter saw...

and with all that you'll need a high quality dust collection system...

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
As a carpenter. your math is 100% sound.

Don't forget a good table saw...

oh and a good miter saw...

and with all that you'll need a high quality dust collection system...
I've got the table saw and compound miter saw. My backyard is my dust collection system. ;)

"BILL!!! Why is the dog covered in sawdust?"
"She's an idiot."

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
The most important tool of all.....

Talent

Like bonsai... all the money ? in the world is useless without talent.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could learn by just copying first

Have a great table here that is just a slab with
4 feet added on and the edges were then cut
like this < and you roll off the table down the
legs.

Elegant, simple and forces the eye to look at
the tree.
Good Day
Anthony

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You could learn by just copying first

Have a great table here that is just a slab with
4 feet added on and the edges were then cut
like this < and you roll off the table down the
legs.

Elegant, simple and forces the eye to look at
the tree.
Good Day
Anthony
I'm studying up on various designs and building techniques. I won't be reinventing the table. Not the first one I make. The second one? Who knows. I have some ideas that will incorporate South Louisiana aesthetics. It will also give the viewer context with which to view the tree.

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Gonna need air compressor finishing booth plus clamps 3 or 4 thousand should cover it.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Gonna need air compressor finishing booth plus clamps 3 or 4 thousand should cover it.
That number looks conservative for my goals.

I'm thinking of buying the back half of the backyard behind me. An elderly woman lives there. She's not using that 50'x50' patch of her yard. He dog can't weigh more than 5lbs. I need to build a larger workshop, dammit!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m thinking you’ll need a new addition to the house to expand your workshop for woodworking process stations. And with that home addition you get new places to build-in new benches....then you'll need more trees to fill the new benches. You’re in deep now.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm studying up on various designs and building techniques. I won't be reinventing the table. Not the first one I make. The second one? Who knows. I have some ideas that will incorporate South Louisiana aesthetics. It will also give the viewer context with which to view the tree.
Like many here, you have missed Bananas message. I can make above average and better bonsai with electrical wire cutters and toenail clippers and a cheap xacto back saw. It's not the tools, or the money spent on them, or how many you have. It's how you use them, and the talent to make something with the correct aesthetics for bonsai that matters.

But... your right. I will eagerly await your finished products.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Like many here, you have missed Bananas message. I can make above average and better bonsai with electrical wire cutters and toenail clippers and a cheap xacto back saw. It's not the tools, or the money spent on them, or how many you have. It's how you use them, and the talent to make something with the correct aesthetics for bonsai that matters.

But... your right. I will eagerly await your finished products.
100% true, but life is more fun with big boy tools.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
100% true, but life is more fun with big boy tools.
You, I like.

If you need to borrow my 1/2" powered drain auger*, my 10" tile saw, or my vertical wet belt sander, come on over. It's been a good month for Bill collecting toys.

Still on my wishlist:
Band saw
Wet angle grinder
Jointer
Joiner
16" flat lapidary wheel
7.5cf Paragon kiln
60 gallon air compressor
Polaris 4x4 with the little cargo bed in the back
Winning lottery tickets

*Takes talent to use that drain auger. I pulled out both toilets last night. The clog was between the two. When I saw that blockage pass by the down-pipe toilet, it looked like my house was taking a giant shit. It felt just a good, too. Wife says the auger has paid for itself. She's a good woman.

Top Bottom