Tired of spending money on "pre-bonsai"

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sorry. I thought Anthony was the only one keeping jbp so far south.
Mugo. Heard not far as GA.

Trident would be nice.

But down yonder. I'd be into BC.

Watch Out for crocs!

Sorce

Japanese black pine grow great in Houston. I have about 1/2 dozen that I've grown for many years. Our climate is similar to northern florida.

Scott

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I agree with everything Brian said in his post. Forcing yourself to acquire stock that's more advanced in development/complexity then you're used to may set you back a bit more financially, but it tends to up your game as an artist/horticulturalist, re-investing yourself at a higher level in the hobby then you were previously. I personally would have left the hobby over a decade ago if I had continued with the stock I initially worked with way back at the beginning. As far as what stock to acquire, I think Brian's advice is right on the mark again...JBP and tridents will do well in N. FL., as will crape myrtles and certain junipers, like Parsons, and perhaps procumbens...not sure about shimpaku. FWIW, collecting landscape junipers can be quite tricky, so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about the losses last year. As you learned, one of the keys is post collection treatment...no work until they are clearly recovered and growing well- usually at least a 2 to 3 year wait. I think you need to make another trip up to Plant City Bonsai this spring, too...:cool:

That is in the books since I will be visiting my sister this spring again up there in Atlanta. I am sure Steve can offer some advice as well

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I'll be there

Kawa Bonsai's winter show is in a couple of weeks in Flagler County. They have some great headliners this year - William Valvanis, Ted Matson, etc.

There will be multiple vendors there with tons of stuff for sale. 15 bucks gets you in the door; for that you get to see the (always nice) exhibit, several demonstrations and the vendors' area - real pre-bonsai, 'finished' trees, pots, tools, raffles, etc. I highly recommend checking it out. I can't make it this year as I'll be digging cypress at Adam's Ranch (don't tell Ed).

http://kawabonsai.com/january-2015-joy-of-bonsai-shohin/

Also, about 2 hours South of you is Jason Schley's nursery. After a few visits there, you'd probably never look around Home Depot for bonsai material again.

I will be at kawa show. Taking the workshop with bill v

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
That is in the books since I will be visiting my sister this spring again up there in Atlanta. I am sure Steve can offer some advice as well

Cool. If she lives near Kennesaw, you need to check out the Smith Gilbert Gardens...great garden and bonsai collection...
http://www.smithgilbertgardens.com/

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I totally understand where you comming from and where your going. I hit this mark not long ago myself. There are no bonsai nurseries in my area so anything of quality has to be done online which I don't always like as you can't always "feel" a tree that way. I actually started planning trips up into the moutains in the spring to seach for old yamadori. It's a week long trip but it's well worth it. I'm now at the place where I'll look for really nice yamadori and if I only collect one tree that tells a story and is old and twisted its a good year. But don't knock nursery material, I just got a massive black pine randomly at a local nursery. It's good stock to practice on and hone ur skills and not ruin or dmg old and expensive material.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I totally understand where you comming from and where your going. I hit this mark not long ago myself. There are no bonsai nurseries in my area so anything of quality has to be done online which I don't always like as you can't always "feel" a tree that way. I actually started planning trips up into the moutains in the spring to seach for old yamadori. It's a week long trip but it's well worth it. I'm now at the place where I'll look for really nice yamadori and if I only collect one tree that tells a story and is old and twisted its a good year. But don't knock nursery material, I just got a massive black pine randomly at a local nursery. It's good stock to practice on and hone ur skills and not ruin or dmg old and expensive material.

Here is the problem, and please don't think I am demeaning your point of view, but as you put it: It's good stock to practice on and hone ur skills and not ruin or dmg old and expensive material From someone who has always chosen nursery material as a preference and now without excuse; most of you are making the assumption that nothing you find in a nursery is going to be worth the effort you plan on putting into a Yamadori. This is not true. Though finding Yamadori quality nursery trees is not a common event it none-the-less happens.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Though finding Yamadori quality nursery trees is not a common event it none-the-less happens.

The hunt can be pretty rewarding and fun!

Here are two that I found on the cheap. Less than $20 each. Now I don't know how good they will turn out because they have had it pretty rough the past two years but non the less they had potential when I found em.

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?9490-Clearance-Vitex-agnus-castus

http://bonsainut.com/forums/member.php?626-milehigh_7

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't think most of those would live in florida.

Specially jBp.

GOOD idea though.

SORCE

Actually JBP do fine in Florida. Even as far south as Wigert's nursery (Fort Meyers which is a I 3-4 hours south of Jacksonville). They had tables of them and they do great way down there in basically a full on tropical environment.

I don't know if Japanese Maples would do well in Jacksonville or not...

He is kind of on the line of where tropicals can be kept outside most the year or not. Probably nothing along the lines of Mugo, Spruce... True cold tolerant/ loving plants would do well there. JBP, Juniper, Buttonwood, Ficus (protect from freezes), Bouganvilla (protect from freezing) pomegranate, Firethorn, Jade, Elm... Those species should all do fine where he is at! I am much farther North obviously, but I am very familiar with Florida- gone there at least once a year or more pretty much every year of my life!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Here is the problem, and please don't think I am demeaning your point of view, but as you put it: It's good stock to practice on and hone ur skills and not ruin or dmg old and expensive material From someone who has always chosen nursery material as a preference and now without excuse; most of you are making the assumption that nothing you find in a nursery is going to be worth the effort you plan on putting into a Yamadori. This is not true. Though finding Yamadori quality nursery trees is not a common event it none-the-less happens.

I said I found a nice jpb from a nursery and lots of my material started from big box stores, I don't think you understood my point or I didn't convy it well.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This was meant for a light have fun...dream big...sort of post I thought. :confused:

EDIT:
oh wait...sorry...I was on my phone and thought I opened another thread...my bad...carry on...so sorry. Thought it was Vin's post on $5,000 bonsai.

Last edited:

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Actually JBP do fine in Florida. Even as far south as Wigert's nursery (Fort Meyers which is a I 3-4 hours south of Jacksonville). They had tables of them and they do great way down there in basically a full on tropical environment.

I don't know if Japanese Maples would do well in Jacksonville or not...

He is kind of on the line of where tropicals can be kept outside most the year or not. Probably nothing along the lines of Mugo, Spruce... True cold tolerant/ loving plants would do well there. JBP, Juniper, Buttonwood, Ficus (protect from freezes), Bouganvilla (protect from freezing) pomegranate, Firethorn, Jade, Elm... Those species should all do fine where he is at! I am much farther North obviously, but I am very familiar with Florida- gone there at least once a year or more pretty much every year of my life!

You are correct. I do have Japanese maples, and some varieties seem to work better than others. All the other species you listed are spot on. Tropicals can't be kept outside year round, we do get freezing temps here.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are a lot of healthy JBP growing in central Florida.

ed

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about Bald Cypress? Very hard to kill, and probably fairly inexpensive down there (and pretty easy to collect from what I've read).

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While an interesting toipic I find the title rather confusing. What is it you actually wish to spend your money on?

Tired of spending money on "pre-bonsai", means that you would rather spend your money on "bonsai", as in finished bonsai?

I feel that part of the charm of the art is in actually making and developing the material into something one can be proud of. Of course there are those that wish to buy a more finished tree and be its caretaker, I get more bang from the development of the material.

If I get your gist in the paragraph of the opening statement, what you wish to do is continue to purchase pre-bonsai, but spend more money on a more developed piece of pre-bonsai rather than being a cheapskate.

Is that about it?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I can see both sides of the spectrum...when I open a progression thread that takes very raw stock and the years and progression it takes to be something ones can truly admire...even if it isn't "quite there yet" it fascinates me! It makes me take pride in my own cuttings and raw stock that I own...seeing the potential within.

But, having one that is further along...I don't begrudge anyone...I think that everyone should at some point find in their lifetime an ah-ha tree if they can afford it and have hit that stage in their hobby.

I think if ones step back they can see the potential beauty...along with the possessed beauty of one further along. Each a milestone...one must appreciate when they've reached it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm in Pensacola, FL, at our last club meeting we had a workshop on JBP, including a handout for the North Gulf Coast region.

004.jpg

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
While an interesting toipic I find the title rather confusing. What is it you actually wish to spend your money on?

Tired of spending money on "pre-bonsai", means that you would rather spend your money on "bonsai", as in finished bonsai?

I feel that part of the charm of the art is in actually making and developing the material inething one can be proud of. Of course there are those that wish to buy a more finished tree and be its caretaker, I get more bang from the development of the material.

If I get your gist in the paragraph of the opening statement, what you wish to do is continue to purchase pre-bonsai, but spend more money on a more developed piece of pre-bonsai rather than being a cheapskate.

Is that about it?

Pre-bonsai to me is something that has to be developed from the roots up. That would be trunk, nebari, Primary branching, secondary branching, tertiary branching, pot pairing, etc. while I do enjoy growing material with the one day hope to be bonsai, there is a spot on my bench for material that is a little further along. Exactly how far along is the question I am trying to answer.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pre-bonsai to me is something that has to be developed from the roots up. That would be trunk, nebari, Primary branching, secondary branching, tertiary branching, pot pairing, etc. while I do enjoy growing material with the one day hope to be bonsai, there is a spot on my bench for material that is a little further along. Exactly how far along is the question I am trying to answer.

Based on this I have a much more clear idea what the problem is. Thanks...

Top Bottom