Stand Build #9 - Shohin Mountainscape

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Decided to make something a little smaller. I wanted a dedicated shohin stand. The general
Shape was inspired by a stand @Brian Van Fleet uses often when photographing his shohin. I had acquired this large plum burl and just sliced it up last weekend and that’s what makes the lighter wood. Love the colors and the mountainous forms. I also felt that the sap wood section of the slice matched the deep brown of the Peruvian walnut I used for the rest of the piece. There are some details a bit unsettled that I would have done different now, but that always seems to be the case! Either way, with each stand my eye and desire for each new piece dials in a bit more. I put the only shohin I had on it that was in a decent pot. Everything else is either in a clay pot, box or nursery can. I wish I had a good alpine tree like a pine or even a high elevation juniper that was in a better pot. Size is about 11x8x4.5. I may end up keeping this one. 🤔
97EE05A0-FA19-4578-BDF7-9311E0093D4E.jpeg
4B507A8A-BA9E-453A-8285-4AE24AF4F61D.jpegC8125F66-8231-4252-8318-F2CD57D44323.jpegFF61A1EE-D6BC-4ADD-860F-D70DC34FC80E.jpeg28ADC859-A3E2-4CF6-9B3F-A0B963F7E84E.jpeg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Very cool, looks like a fire burning beneath it.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Decided to make something a little smaller. I wanted a dedicated shohin stand. The general
Shape was inspired by a stand @Brian Van Fleet uses often when photographing his shohin. I had acquired this large plum burl and just sliced it up last weekend and that’s what makes the lighter wood. Love the colors and the mountainous forms. I also felt that the sap wood section of the slice matched the deep brown of the Peruvian walnut I used for the rest of the piece. There are some details a bit unsettled that I would have done different now, but that always seems to be the case! Either way, with each stand my eye and desire for each new piece dials in a bit more. I put the only shohin I had on it that was in a decent pot. Everything else is either in a clay pot, box or nursery can. I wish I had a good alpine tree like a pine or even a high elevation juniper that was in a better pot. Size is about 11x8x4.5. I may end up keeping this one. 🤔
View attachment 397148
View attachment 397149View attachment 397150View attachment 397151View attachment 397152
I seriously almost fainted!

This one is my favorite, so far!

OUTSTANDING WORK!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't do FB auctions so I am curious, what do you expect it to bring?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't do FB auctions so I am curious, what do you expect it to bring?
I try not to expect to get anything until I make a better name for myself. 😂 but I’m hoping for $150-$350. I want $450. Ultimately though, the cost is insignificant. These don’t pay the bills and I’m making them for the sole reason of getting my name out there (and they are a ton of fun). I did something very similar for my day to day business. Took what I could get in terms of jobs and pay for years, but now mostly make what I want and ask what I want. Slow process but worth it over time.

Top Bottom