Stand build off

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just checked....I have enough African Rosewood left over to make a tall cascade stand and a mame stand with the cut offs. The mame stand will be challenging to make.

stewarjm192

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I worked on my stand today. I managed to get to the dry fit stage. Still need to do some minor touch ups before I can start gluing up. This African Rosewood machines pretty good and has a really nice color to it. I have to check if I have enough wood left over to make another stand. Still deciding what type of finish to apply.

View attachment 413502View attachment 413503View attachment 413504View attachment 413505View attachment 413506View attachment 413507View attachment 413508View attachment 413509View attachment 413510
How did you attach your picture frame pieces to the solid but in the center? Did you make a mortise and tenon the all the way around?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How did you attach your picture frame pieces to the solid but in the center? Did you make a mortise and tenon the all the way around?
No mortise and tenon used on this stand. The top will be a floating top similar to higher quality built cabinet doors that are built with floating panels. I've attached a picture to give you a better understanding.

The top will be floating to allow for seasonal movement. While this African Rosewood is pretty stable with the top being so small (4" x 6") there shouldn't be no issues with movement at all or at least very very minimal. When building with wood you always have to consider the grain and seasonal movement, as the wood expands it can easily open tight joints, cup, or warp.

FrameandPanel5.jpg

stewarjm192

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No mortise and tenon used on this stand. The top will be a floating top similar to higher quality built cabinet doors that are built with floating panels. I've attached a picture to give you a better understanding.

The top will be floating to allow for seasonal movement. While this African Rosewood is pretty stable with the top being so small (4" x 6") there shouldn't be no issues with movement at all or at least very very minimal. When building with wood you always have to consider the grain and seasonal movement, as the wood expands it can easily open tight joints, cup, or warp.

View attachment 414022
This is what I meant by a “mortise and tenon”. The frame is the mortise of the joint, while the panel is the tenon. I do this with all of my frame tops when I build stands, just wish there was a less time consuming way of doing it.
I have a box cutting blade(flat kerf) on my table saw that I use to cut the “tenon” into the panel, I then use the router table to cut my “mortise” into the frame. How do you approach this? I’ve done plenty of these, but, as my crosscut sled is not super accurate, my “tenon” always seems a little sloppy….

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not to get all technical, but it's helpful to use the names of the cuts properly. Recesses cut in across the grain are called dadoes. Recesses cut in along the grain are called grooves. Mortise is a hole for the tenon....etc. In the case with my top it's cut just like my rails/stiles. Then I attach with a square dowel. I wouldn't recommend this setup for a stand to hold a substantial amount of weight though, my stand is for mame/shohin size so weight is minimal.

With you explaining your process I completely understand how you go about making your stands. Its tough to make accurate cuts without having the equipment set up accurately. For clean accurate cuts I would recommend doing the work on a router table for the joinery. Only downside side all the different bits needed to get job done.

FrameandPanel3.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So the stand is put together now and sanded down to 320 grit. Debating to highlight the grain with some stain or leave as is. This African Rosewood will darken over time naturally similar to how Cherry darkens over time. I like the color as it is now, maybe a tad bit darker. Almost finished with this one.....just stain or no stain, then seal, then top coat.

20220101_162109.jpg20220101_162226.jpg20220101_162204.jpg

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Not much so far. I cut up a branch I found in the street after a hurricane threw in my garage a couple of years ago. I didn’t recognize the tree, but the bark was pretty and it was heavy. This is south Florida so you never know what is growing But tomorrow I’ll get out the knife and files.
757D8365-EC79-4A59-BE80-28D04EA6BA1A.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not much so far. I cut up a branch I found in the street after a hurricane threw in my garage a couple of years ago. I didn’t recognize the tree, but the bark was pretty and it was heavy. This is south Florida so you never know what is growing But tomorrow I’ll get out the knife and files.
View attachment 414179
Looks really dense. What's your plan with them?

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I want to carve the stand out of it.
almost like a root stand.
All one piece, live edge left as much as possible and the boring bits carved away.
then a polished top.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I want to carve the stand out of it.
almost like a root stand.
All one piece, live edge left as much as possible and the boring bits carved away.
then a polished top.
Nice! Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So the stand is put together now and sanded down to 320 grit. Debating to highlight the grain with some stain or leave as is. This African Rosewood will darken over time naturally similar to how Cherry darkens over time. I like the color as it is now, maybe a tad bit darker. Almost finished with this one.....just stain or no stain, then seal, then top coat.

View attachment 414175View attachment 414176View attachment 414177
I think a little stain would make it really nice.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is some really fine wood working.
I have some great small pieces of exotic woods of various types, I just don't have that kind of skill

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was too, didn't want to be bossy..........😇
I sanded the sealer down and just sprayed the first coat of semi-gloss. I'll do the second coat tonight and continue on with the rest of the coats tomorrow. When it's done I'll start designing the tomobako for it.

Top Bottom