Stands and Benches

terry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need to come up with some ideas for new stands/benches for some of my trees. How about some ideas and pictures of what you all use.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Mine are simple, 4x4 or 6x6 posts, 2x4 bases, with 2x2 slats on top. All treated, screwed together, and cemented into the ground. I use a combination of monkey posts and benches, facing different directions so I can rotate trees without necessarily looking at the back.

It is important to get them level, secure, and large enough to have 4-5" all the way around the pots for monkey poles, and 6"-8" all the way around canopies for benches. You want plenty of space between trees for air, light, and separation to slow down any pest or fungal problems.

It is also important to get the height right. Too low and you're always looking at the tops, and bending over to work on them. Too high and you're looking up into them. Most of mine are 3' to 4.5 high.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 172
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 146

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Brian,

On the "monkey poles", how is the platform attached to the pole? Is it just two 2x4 runners screwed to the posts and topped with the 2x2's, or did you build a "box" to fit around the top of the 4x4? I plan on building a couple of these this weekend and was trying to decide the best method of construction for strength. didn't want it to be wobbly.

Thanks,

John

terry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine are simple, 4x4 or 6x6 posts, 2x4 bases, with 2x2 slats on top. All treated, screwed together, and cemented into the ground. I use a combination of monkey posts and benches, facing different directions so I can rotate trees without necessarily looking at the back.

It is important to get them level, secure, and large enough to have 4-5" all the way around the pots for monkey poles, and 6"-8" all the way around canopies for benches. You want plenty of space between trees for air, light, and separation to slow down any pest or fungal problems.

It is also important to get the height right. Too low and you're always looking at the tops, and bending over to work on them. Too high and you're looking up into them. Most of mine are 3' to 4.5 high.

Thanks Brian. The site available for me has some good shade from trees that allow morning sun but is exposed to the west wind which is fairly constant. I see you have what I assume is a fence that gives wind protection. The design you have is clean and sturdy. Should I think about some 8' to 10' sections of wind protection?

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have also stacked square pavers (about a buck each) to make pedestals. Just level the ground and stack them. I have seen chimney flues used with pavers on top also.
Tona

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian,

On the "monkey poles", how is the platform attached to the pole? Is it just two 2x4 runners screwed to the posts and topped with the 2x2's, or did you build a "box" to fit around the top of the 4x4? I plan on building a couple of these this weekend and was trying to decide the best method of construction for strength. didn't want it to be wobbly.

Thanks,

John

Just the runners. They're sturdy enough to dance on...I lay the 4x4 down as a spacer, place the 2x4s on either side, screw the 2x2s to the 2x4s, then center the top on the post and screw the 2x4s to the 4x4s. Once I get going I can make 4-5 in an afternoon.

On wind...I've lived where wind was an issue, but now that my area is relatively protected, I'd do everything possible to reduce wind when designing any future bonsai garden. Gentle breezes are good; beneficial, but I wouldn't want anything strong enough to have to factor it into my daily care, siting, and watering.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm using plastic benches from here - you might see these used as display benches in garden centers and grocery stores:

http://structuralplastics.com/cart/?main_page=index&cPath=1

They are lightweight, versatile, clean easily, and still look like new after 5 years. I'd love to build some nice benches or monkey poles like Brian's, but I'm still only a few years in, so my collection of trees isn't yet "stable." I would hate to build something in my backyard that would end up not being as functional down the road, so I'm going with these benches for now, along with poor-man's monkey poles made from cinder blocks with a large paver for the platform's top.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not sure if this is useful to the group, but I thought I could show you.
Metal stands, fabricated in 1989 or so.
Pipes from the Refinery and very durable.
Good Day.
Anthony

Attachments

• stands.jpg
    stands.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 90

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The box stores sell stair risers for two, three or five steps for just a few bucks. These, some boards and some large screws or bolt will make excellent tiered tables.

terry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for all of the ideas. I have made 2 sets of 4 tier stair risers that work very well. The disadvantage to these is the finished weight, they are pretty heavy.

Terry

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpg
I love this bench. Wish I would make a couple more.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
They look great...I'm calling you next time I need to make more!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Sounds like a plan, the 'Ham isn't too far from Mobile, you supply the beer and I'll bring the tools, LOL. Thanks for the tips, I plan on making a few more.

John

Top Bottom