Strange disease on my Kingsville boxwood? Please help identify issue.

edka12345

Seed
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’ve been growing this kingsville boxwood over the last 8 years and have never seen something like this. Curious to get your thoughts.

The leaves have been turning yellowish/ bronze colored and in some instances new growth has been drying out (in select places). The only thing I can attribute this too is a stronger a stronger / newer aquarium grow light that I recently replaced my old one with. Does it look like the plant is just getting overcooked with light? Doesn’t appear to be root rot as white roots are growing out of the bottom of the pot and it’s growing in a bonsai mix consisting of akadama clay, lava rock and charcoal.
F37A9E30-E9B9-4CE3-8814-ACB559C34B76.jpegABEBD0E4-7F2D-46D3-98A5-980176347D89.jpeg35AACE26-DD2E-4374-BB8D-1C2C67116CB3.jpeg7428B3C9-35A2-43FE-93F0-234BD389A386.jpeg

second I’ve noticed this strange white crystalline mold looking substance growing on the tree stump and sometimes on the pot itself. Any idea what this could be?
9503A065-FF84-44B4-901B-11F0D193830D.jpeg
4A3D3DA1-6B77-4B9E-B18D-43AD299A2F9A.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the light is the only thing that has changed, it could very well be that.

Welcome to Crazy!

I have a boxwood leaf yellowing theory that says, it's not overwatering, or over sunning, but both, creating too much need for transpiration, which makes leaves get "spent". That may account for one of the problems, but there is definitely 2 problems, likely 2 causes. The spots are a different problem than the yellowing edges.

I think it's very important to remember that even though this has spent 8 years in "this situation" (aquarium lights), it is still susceptible, I'd argue even more susceptible, to changes in outdoor climate.

This is a very different year here and people have been noting severe differences in "climate" elsewhere. The plants are better clued into this than we are, so I think it's quite detrimental to consider it's "8 years" as meaningful to the situation at all.

"Indoor Plants" will be the first to go. They are already on the edge of health.

It is certain that a plant will easily adapt to the slow move to less efficient lights become.
A quick change to fresh lights at the same distance is too fast for adaptation.

A full Defoliation can negate that change, as new growth will come out better adapted. When old leaves are left on, it seems to confuse the tree.

What else has changed?

Sorce

edka12345

Seed
Reaction score
I went ahead and dropped the intensity of the led from 100% to 25% to see if there are any improvements. Continuing to micro dose (less than .15 grams of fertilizer every couple of weeks. Tree appears to put off a bunch of new tiny leaves / growth that sometime wither and die right away. Continue to water daily since the substrate has good drainage and roots inside the pot appear healthy.

This is the substrate I am using: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N117UG...abc_7PYATM1R1C3DHBAGC3RP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Fertilizer: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079P7VBYK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_G8DN2D7YWRB3NSMJ4S5H

edka12345

Seed
Reaction score
Any clue about the white stuff? I’m watering the tree with bottled water so I don’t think this can be marking of hard water. Anything wrong with using bottled water btw?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Bottled water can be high in minerals/salt. Just like tap water. So the white residue is likely to be just salt deposit.

edka12345

Seed
Reaction score
Any issues with bottled water vs tap? Or no real difference?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you.

<<<<< It will show here.

Bottled water is just that: bottled from some place, not distilled, just treated to be sold as food, so it is whatever the assay is of the place it came from. New, immature leaves are not as tough as old, mature leaves and can be damaged due to drought and/or intense light/heat more easily than older leaves. Your tree is sitting pretty high out of the pot exposing a large area to evaporation. How long since last re-pot? You may need to water a little more often since you changed your lights, the dry end of the cycle may be just a little too dry for the immature foliage.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Have you kept it indoors for 8 years? No outside space available? I doubt the water source is your problem

Top Bottom