Stunning old Chi Chi Ginkgo

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What an amazing old specimen...is that a basal chi turned to dead wood feature!?!
image.jpg

Now I watched a YouTube of a professor of a university speak of ginkgo...mentioned that like some trees that sucker. It sort of stores energy at its base, if the main tree dies off. Then the stored energy is its survival backup and will grow a circle of trees around the dead one, I'm curious...if that is the case with this one.
image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Also looks like I won the one on the auctions page :) Your future trees little brother (or sister) lol
CONGRATS!!! SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! Also glad we wasn't biding against each other. I wasn't feeling good last night and went to bed early. So I didn't watch it end. Very happy I can watch what you do with it.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks! I have no idea what the tree is worth but I think I got it for a good price. It's my second most expensive tree now though lol. I read that they don't really heal wounds, hopefully that isn't true as there's a decent size chop in the back.. still very happy with my purchase though :D

When do you get your tree?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks! I have no idea what the tree is worth but I think I got it for a good price. It's my second most expensive tree now though lol. I read that they don't really heal wounds, hopefully that isn't true as there's a decent size chop in the back.. still very happy with my purchase though :D

When do you get your tree?

Do you realize how old these trees date back to?
Ginkgo biloba, commonly known as ginkgo or gingko[3] (both pronounced /ˈɡɪŋkoʊ/), also known as the ginkgo tree or the maidenhair tree,[4] is the only living species in the division Ginkgophyta, all others being extinct. It is found in fossils dating back 270 million years. Native to China,[2] the tree is widely cultivated and was introduced early to human history. It has various uses in traditional medicine and as a source of food. The genus name Ginkgo is regarded as a misspelling of the Japanese gin kyo, "silver apricot".[5]

As for the scar, key word in that sentence of yours... "there's a decent size chop in the back ." BACK being a key factor. Wouldn't worry me in the least. Worse case...carve it out if it does...and create a COOL URO feature. But, again...back of tree. For the size...and overall shape of the tree. You got a great deal in my opinion. I would have fought you harder...and went higher for it. Had I not had the one coming. I'm not sure if it was sent out this week...or will be shipped Monday of next. I've honestly not checked my messages to see. I'm poor with checking email and such. Most folk know that...send me PM's here or on FB. Again...congrats!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Do you realize how old these trees date back to?

As for the scar, key word in that sentence of yours... "there's a decent size chop in the back ." BACK being a key factor. Wouldn't worry me in the least. Worse case...carve it out if it does...and create a COOL URO feature. But, again...back of tree. For the size...and overall shape of the tree. You got a great deal in my opinion. I would have fought you harder...and went higher for it. Had I not had the one coming. I'm not sure if it was sent out this week...or will be shipped Monday of next. I've honestly not checked my messages to see. I'm poor with checking email and such. Most folk know that...send me PM's here or on FB. Again...congrats!
I know, doesn't it make them that much better that they are "living fossils" essentially? And yeah, with the scar being in the back it's not a concern design wise, but rather for infections or pests in the future is all.

I know you would have fought harder, and I'm glad we didn't have to do that! I was very surprised I got it for what I did. No one really tried it seems.. not sure what happened. But I talked to Scott, and your right he's great to deal with. Told me it's 8 years old from cutting grown in pots, then the ground, then dug up last year and potted.

Definitely looking forward to it! But I don't know anything about ginkgo care yet, so some reading must be done..

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Cadillactaste

I've leveled one to the ground. It's now a landscape bush.

Hi thumblessprimate1,
I have a Ginkgo in my garden I planted 8 years ago. There are no obvious buds down low.
My thinking was to maybe do a chop at say 1 foot ( it is 6 foot now), and dig up and put into a training box.
What are your or @Cadillactaste thoughts on this plan?
Charles

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi thumblessprimate1,
I have a Ginkgo in my garden I planted 8 years ago. There are no obvious buds down low.
My thinking was to maybe do a chop at say 1 foot ( it is 6 foot now), and dig up and put into a training box.
Charles

@Brian Van Fleet grew one from seed...and did chops. He might be able to offer you some suggestions. My own thoughts...if there isn't much taper in that foot you plan to leave/ keep...go shorter. Pay attention to the base...walk about figuring the best front so far so your chop scar can be planned for the back of the tree for the most part. Because the largest scar I have...I assume is from a like hard cut. But it's way shorter down than a foot up from the ground. So chopped much shorter. Assuming your into your spring about now so it has time to recover.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hi thumblessprimate1,
Charles
A picture would help with any advice. My gut would tell you to leave it in the ground to bounce back from the chop and do more growing.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree in the first pic has some serious issues...

Top Bottom