Sumo Japanese Maple update

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a stump of a maple that I am trying to turn into a bonsai. The base is about five inches across at the widest and the tree is about six inches tall. There is a gap on the left side near the top where my Makita die grinder showed me just how fast it can remove a branch. I will approach graft a shoot this year to make a new branch. The chop wound will never heal so I will probably hollow it out more and fill it with something this summer. This is just a play tree but it will need a pot in a year or two. Any suggestions or comments ? Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 167
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 142

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wondering how long the chop has been trying to heal?
I think the tree is neat in an ugly duckling kinda way. I see what you mean about the die grinder .

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was chopped just before I bought it. It's a very strong tree, throwing a hundred strong shoots last year. The more it sits around, the more I like it.

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice litte fatty Dave. That scar can and will heal. Stick it in the ground and allow apical growth for a few years...you will start to see the scar engulfed by callusing tissue. You may loose branch structure but thats ok....You can just rebuild it....

If you dont want this tree PM me :)

CHUCHIN

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice litte fatty Dave. That scar can and will heal. Stick it in the ground and allow apical growth for a few years...you will start to see the scar engulfed by callusing tissue. You may loose branch structure but thats ok....You can just rebuild it....

If you dont want this tree PM me :)

CHUCHIN

Ha ha ! I love this tree. It is the strongest of all my maples. I don't know why. I will follow your suggestion and let the leader run and in a bigger pot. Btw, did I buy this tree from you ? If so, thanks again !

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha ha ! I love this tree. It is the strongest of all my maples. I don't know why. I will follow your suggestion and let the leader run and in a bigger pot. Btw, did I buy this tree from you ? If so, thanks again !

Yes I sold you this tree a while back...Plucked from my Momijii field. IT looks awesome...Glad to see it and he always has a home :)

James

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks James ! This is one of those trees that has just grown on me. It is also as tough as nails, really, I could have started a nursery with the shoots it has produced. Full sun all season long and it never blinks. No leaf burn, no disease ever. Great color. It may just be my mother plant for the future.

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad to read all this...I have access to many of these and can make them available upon request... I am going to be lifting about 30-40 or so before Mid April.

I am really happy to see the progression...I had another Friend in bonsai send me pictures from a batch I sold him 5 years ago they look absolutely stunning...

Id love to see you report on this in a few years after sticking in the dirt. When you plant it in the ground, plant it deep and mulch the surface....They seem to love to be BURIED...I get great responses that way...

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice tree Dave! I love A. Palmatum sumos and this one is very promising! I have a couple also from CHUCHIN and they are doing very well except mine were not cut into shohin.

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree Dave! I love A. Palmatum sumos and this one is very promising! I have a couple also from CHUCHIN and they are doing very well except mine were not cut into shohin.

MACH5

The ones you got a few years ago were MONSTERS. I recall one in particular with the dominant Apex....Glad to hear on that as well forgot to ask you when we were @ Kenneths...Sorry I was disoriented as you saw...Once again PUPILS Dilated haha

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
MACH5

The ones you got a few years ago were MONSTERS. I recall one in particular with the dominant Apex....Glad to hear on that as well forgot to ask you when we were @ Kenneths...Sorry I was disoriented as you saw...Once again PUPILS Dilated haha

LOL yes I know! So was I!! Anyway both trees are currently going through let's just say "reconstruction". I will post these eventually.

Anyway sorry for the hijack. Back to this nice thread :rolleyes:

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I have a soft spot for trees like this. I'm excited to see how it progresses. how much different is a dedicated die grinder versus a dremel?

@ CHUCHIN:

Not sure if you are tired of talking to me or haven't noticed my messages. Either way is fine, but I would appreciate you letting me know. :)

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a soft spot for trees like this. I'm excited to see how it progresses. how much different is a dedicated die grinder versus a dremel?

@ CHUCHIN:

Not sure if you are tired of talking to me or haven't noticed my messages. Either way is fine, but I would appreciate you letting me know. :)

No bud not tired of talking...We have had horrible weather in Maryland and getting out in my fields have been impossible. Rain, Snow Mud and more snow even as we speak its snowing...We got another 6 inches...You are on my radar just crappy communication...I promise Ill take care of you. No sweat...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

I agree. If you want the wound to heal faster, also modify the lower part of the chop to a pointier shape. The chop should be like an inverted tear drop. It will also make the transition look a bit smoother at that site.

Re: Makita and how fast they can trim branches...I've learned the hard way too. One little kick back and wham! Branches gone! :eek:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like this little guy too, but this is the exact reason I don't use a die grinder, a dremel with the right bit is enough for me....

Top Bottom