Sweating techinque some questions

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why do this "sweating" in the first place?
Hawthorns survive collection great without any of this.
I cut them,dig them up,wash the roots of field soil,put them in a colander with D.E. and a small amount of lava,water the stump,place it in full sun and wait for it to recover.
I have one I collected 2 weeks ago.
It's pushing buds like crazy all over.
I'll post a picture after I take one.

boschetaru

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hawthorns survive collection great without any of this.
I cut them,dig them up,wash the roots of field soil,put them in a colander with D.E. and a small amount of lava,water the stump,place it in full sun and wait for it to recover.
I have one I collected 2 weeks ago.
It's pushing buds like crazy all over.
I'll post a picture after I take one.
If the tree would have had a lot of fine roots i wouldn t have gone for this sweating , but it had just very very few fine roots.
Big problem is that even if it buds out, it may have no root growth.
So bottom.line, i did this bc i had too, i recommend it when your chances of survival are slim( bad collection time, bad fine roots).
Pictures are much appreciated.
Tnx

boschetaru

Yamadori
Reaction score
Some update,
So buds have emerged.
Now, what next? i know i dont fertilize for 1 year or so,but what orher advices can u give me? maybe how to take care of it in winter..or any advice would be appriciated

Attachments

• IMG_20200611_142141.jpg
    IMG_20200611_142141.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 21

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks happy. I would start fertilizing and slowly expose to more sun.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would also fertilise. Plants with green leaves and growing need nutrients.
Definitely do not prune or do other work and be careful moving it because there will probably be few roots for a year or so.

Not sure how cold Romania gets in winter. Over here hawthorn are good outside all winter.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I reckon it's one of them reverse placebos. It "worked" once but is uneccesary. Now it sucks time away from more righteous tasks.ie Probably trying to find out what's wrong the the other weak trees that, like a baby needs a pacifier, need their baggies.
Dead. Lol!

One can read how people progress from Noob who does this shit, to Old Guy who keeps doing it, in just a few recent new posts.

You just gotta put the dots together to see it.

Kinda whack.

I guess it's about exposure though. I denounced baggies since I saw that old giant broke log had taken root where I was fishing by.

Nature don't need us, damn sure don't need no baggie!

Sorce

boschetaru

Yamadori
Reaction score
Well, im not doing it again for sure but it was a desperate measure bc of my wrong doings( mostly collection time).
The rest of your post i realy dont understand ...old guy noob guy( probably me)...
Anyway i hope the tree makes it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
( probably me)...

No no.
Well, it can be if you let it....don't let it!

Desperate measure are ok if we, like you have, identify why you you used them, and correct the wrong doing, not add more snake oil!

You get it.

I was just explaining how, you can see the progression of this happening here. But not all in one person, different People in different stages. But it shows how one guy keeps this idea that something "works".

Less is more? I guess that's the lesson.

Everybody's gadget works.
But everyone else has success without the gadget.
Climates don't seem to matter. Unless you are trying to "tropical" in "temperate". Or vice versa.

But the most success can be found with local material. If only because time, is.

So I save the bags for packing material and to pick up Dog dung.

Sorce

boschetaru

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yeah, now i get it.
We all should learn from our mistakes, i sure did.

Thank you

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would fertilize it if I were you. I colected a linden last november, just a few days before frosty nights. I kept it outside almost the entire winter, in temperatures lower than -15/-20 in some nights and in the spring it grew like there was nothing wrong with it. I am fertilizing it quite a lot (I think) and I even cut back most of it's growth. It is now sending it's second flush. I would do the same with your hornbeam.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I still owe a picture.
Forgot.
I'll take it tonight.

boschetaru

Yamadori
Reaction score
To be honest, even if he has growth i know my chances are still low, bc he might not shooted roots....so im a bit concerned abt that.
We see in few months:)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amen. And the flip.

All my hawthornes had matted up a great set of roots last year, and I'm still waiting for them to wake up. Uh... they're dead! If they ain't, they're good only for the burn pile.

But that's why I question the sustainability of bagged beginnings.

We see lack of sustainability kill trees in the simple way when we go on vacation.
No water, no trees.

Hell, Chicago banned plastic bags for a while, so I almost ran into a situation where they wouldn't be available anymore.

Accounting for true long term, "anything can happen" sustainability and finding success, is what I'd rather.

Cuz when shit really hits the fan, and we don't have electricity anymore, I will still be able to enjoy my trees.
No garage?
Still able to enjoy my trees.
No house?
Damn right I'll have at least one!

That's when we need the joy most!

Sorcetainability.

Plan for the worst. Think the best into existence.

Sorce

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
wow quite defensive against Sorce man's comment. Unfortunately if you continue to be so unreceptive to minor criticism, your journey in bonsai will be much longer and harder. With that said I'm happy its budded for you, good luck. This tree has a long ways to go, but i suppose you can learn basic husbandry from it.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
I lost track of where the original poster is at with his tree. But I'll offer a few things.

If you're still concerned with root growth I wouldn't add any fertilizer at this point. If you feel the need to absolutely add it, then I'd recommend something extremely low dose and "soft" something like the Alaska Fish Emulsion stuff

Instead I would recommend you bag the container and leave the tree and canopy exposed. Try to keep the container as humid as possible.

boschetaru

Yamadori
Reaction score
wow quite defensive against Sorce man's comment. Unfortunately if you continue to be so unreceptive to minor criticism, your journey in bonsai will be much longer and harder. With that said I'm happy its budded for you, good luck. This tree has a long ways to go, but i suppose you can learn basic husbandry from it.
It took some time to get trough what Source was trying to tell me, but i got it and i understand:)

Top Bottom