tea tree or bottlebrush?

slothrop

Seed
Reaction score
IMG20231008154608.jpgIMG20231008154455.jpg
Just moved this yamadori and was curious what species it is? They have strikingly similar leaves but having the trunk so naturally contorted i was not sure. Moved from a property in central nsw Australia. Depending on the plant type was curious how much sunlight would help with surviving also ( i have read the generic tips but due to plant types and location im sure it varies significantly ) . Hopes are not the highest due to the root mass being not so significant and also my personal experience but worth the attempt.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'm not convinced this is either Callistemon or leptopspermum The leaf arrangement doesn't look right for either.
IMHO much more likely to be something like Leucopogon or one of the other plants often referred to as 'heaths' One of the problems here is that central NSW is a huge slice of the continent with many and varied habitats. Some better idea of where it comes from would certainly help. Some clearer shots of both bark on the trunk and detail of the leaf and leaf arrangement on the stems will help too.
Un fortunately, if it does turn out to be Lecopogon or related chances of success is very, very low. Don't think I've ever heard of a successful transplant so it is a pity you have chosen to take this one.

slothrop

Seed
Reaction score
In terms of location it was from a area outside of orange NSW. One peace of mind is it was all getting cleared for a future property development hence the removal before identification or prep. Will provide a better photo of leaf structure if i get the chance tomorrow appreciate the knowledge will do some research and look for any identifying features leading to a Leucopogon.

Top Bottom