Terra Cotta: My musings on...and resulting actions with.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can just keep smashing those shapes.

I finally got mine the other day. My old co-worker/friend and I were talking about just smashing old wares to make grog, but my current cost/effort ratio is better buying it.

20200806_103818.jpg

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Now... about the grog, one could theoretically fire discs for that purpose alone.

Also.. the large crack in the kiln front... should I patch that?

🤓

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
about the grog

Yeah about that! Lol! Shouldn't have got the "coarse".
I thought I used a clay body before with coarse...but turns out, no....you need a diamondplated knife to cut through that shit! Definitely not for handbuilding! Well, not knifecut handbuilding!

Sand is better. I have yet to dry and fire many large pieces with just sand, but it builds so nicely!

Kiln is looking good!

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yeah about that! Lol! Shouldn't have got the "coarse".
I thought I used a clay body before with coarse...but turns out, no....you need a diamondplated knife to cut through that shit! Definitely not for handbuilding! Well, not knifecut handbuilding!

Sand is better. I have yet to dry and fire many large pieces with just sand, but it builds so nicely!

Kiln is looking good!

Sorce

Mostly sand comprised has been my “go-to” lately...

Thanks! (About the kiln)... weather has just been real inconsistent.. so i’ve only had two REAL fires.. hopefully today!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
5.3 hours in... I’m callin’ it. :) Last feeding.... DONE!

I can’t get good pictures through the hole. ;)

542A61C6-8184-494C-BE94-7EC1CB53A42F.jpeg394844FC-1080-4D5A-BC0A-8E60A8DFC5E9.jpeg

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey @HorseloverFat don't take this the wrong way, cause you sound like a cool dude, and I enjoy a lot of your posts, but jeez, it looks like you're living in some post apocalypse world there. The mud, home made kiln, a giant "safe"? in the background, some impressive slabs of wood covering what, some sort of pit? (I didn't read all 12 pages of the post, so sorry if this was addressed already)

This reminds me of that guy who built his own toaster from scratch.

Carry on!
CW

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey @HorseloverFat don't take this the wrong way, cause you sound like a cool dude, and I enjoy a lot of your posts, but jeez, it looks like you're living in some post apocalypse world there. The mud, home made kiln, a giant "safe"? in the background, some impressive slabs of wood covering what, some sort of pit? (I didn't read all 12 pages of the post, so sorry if this was addressed already)

This reminds me of that guy who built his own toaster from scratch.

Carry on!
CW

HAHAHAHA! I actually REFER to my plant area as a post-apocalyptic wasteland in SEVERAL posts.

It is the back of a dilapidated building that my parents bought back when my dad retired from the marines... there is supposed to be a roof... 🤣... I live upstairs of the empty, broken-down storefront.. a few posts back is a pic from the windows upstairs DOWN.. to give even a better picture.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Enjoyed seeing your experiments here.
Why do you have the thuja on top of it? Just for the smell?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

I didn’t even watch it.. because I’m familiar..

Just a flip of the coin.

🤓

(I like how they INVERT the tangents by gripping the box at the last pass)

So many things are absolutely hilarious and cleverly written for the theoretical physicist in that show.. Dan Vebber (?) is amazing. (I think that’s his name)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This piece is definitely fired.. as it sat out in the rain all night...

The carbon deposits i believe to have been made the the last of the “smoldering”... the deposits come off wherever you rub/scrape... Soooo I think i may have actually went TOO far with this.. but I am not sure...

Maybe a brush and water to get clean ‘er up?

77E187A8-C645-4D29-80C1-9A28BA96D6A0.jpeg

Top Bottom