Terra Cotta: My musings on...and resulting actions with.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Trying the same 20 percent DE.. but a finer filtration process next time in hopes to alleviate some of that “carbon firing”

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

You saw I found 3 free kilns out here?
Listed a page for them AZ fellers.

Reckon wekin find you one.

Or 3!

Building a wood kiln with 2 kilns, one for the firebox, one for the ware chamber, is kinda easy.

However much I enjoy your Fuddling here, maybe it should be with something else?

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Old beer keg?... antique cast-iron safe? go with my “flat-rock idea...? I bet an old stove would work... maybe just collect bricks here and there until I have enough?... hmmmm...

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

does this help @HorseloverFat ?
Good Day
Anthony

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

does this help @HorseloverFat ?
Good Day
Anthony

ASTOUNDING! 😍

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Terracottatest 5 was subjected to exposure trials today... after 2 “waterings” and about 6 hours in the sun... the test subject practically crumbled in my hand.... so the filter-grade DE powder does NOT appear to “hold up”
0C8C43C6-E649-4656-A8D7-577983F1ECCA.jpeg

Appears to still have “drawn” water.

Conversely, terracottatests 1 and 2 have been getting sun and water DAILY...bleaching is the only notable change.....

So back to square 2.. 🤪

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Also it’s clear that DOUBLE filtration/refinement is necessary.. because tests 1and 2 were 1/16” sifted.. and they BARELY carbon “colored”

Whereas test 5 was 1/8” filtered, carbon colored AND tricked me into thinking it was completely fired.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sooooo...I received this castable refractory cement in my pick-up order as a substitution for regular cement.. (which was neat, because I got it for 7 dollars)
Maybe use this in a mix for kiln blocks?
Or still attempt moulding pots.? And if this route, does the classification change my mixture properties?

5AA8E74C-BAC5-4F74-950E-284D3274298C.jpeg

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ever thought about this ?

Down here we have a super plastic clay and it has body,
unlike bentonite.
Plus a red sand used for plastering.

Now you pass the sand through a 40 mesh sieve.
Use a feldspar to fill spaces.
Clay
Around 20 % dried clear glaze [ Duncan or Mayco ]

Produces a body that dries fast.
Can also be raw glazed.

Hand builds exceptionally well.

Sand can be around 80%.

You can make this body 3 to 1% porous [ or zero porous ]
Good Day
Anthony

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Refractory cement is probably the same as LaFarge Ciment Fondue, it is a non-Portland cement, with a higher aluminum content. It can handle heat. It is also the cement that many EU potters use for concrete bonsai pots and slabs. Erik K, uses the same for his wild creations.

With concrete pots you don't have to fire them.

Though if I were to make concrete pots I'd use a vinyl polymer cement hybrid like a patching compound sold for thin vertical patches on concrete walls.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ok... so I almost have enough “molds” for a similar project as @Anthony has outlined. I’m currently sourcing the galvanized metal and heating sources.... I have access to two heating units from slow cookers.. but I doubt (could be wrong) that, even with bypassing any thermostatic controls, the correct temperatures could be reached.

So that is where I am currently at with THAT.

Also.

Terracottatest 6 - Two Creeks Clay - 1/8” water filtered, sun-dried, pulverized then fine dry sifted (tea mesh) - 24 hr “proof time” - 175 degree set/dry - pit fired - modified higher, slower(ish) on red brick -

This was after first firing - not quite enough.. so it needed another “go”

F74E931C-5FF7-4583-B901-98F896F337BF.jpeg396E2B9C-AD27-4437-BD99-5B2722C176D8.jpeg

After second pit “firing” today.

0A66D1FC-EB5F-445D-A269-1AE0D7EAF5C7.jpeg

This is by far the most extensively I have filtered a batch, and the carbon firing is still uncontrollable.. (the tests which were filtered more “crudely”, but dry have significantly less) Is this in correlation with the unstable temperatures and wind variances in “the pit”? Or simply related to organic components?

If the later, then my 2-forked conclusion is such:

1. The aqueous factor in my filtration process involves too much “agitation” and is breaking organic matter down into smaller particles.

2. Gotta find a better location to “pull” from.

Top Bottom