Terra Cotta: My musings on...and resulting actions with.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Also.. ORIGINALLY.. the idea was to construct a wood-fired kiln.. even cheaper. ;) I just.. made the damn thing too small! 🤣🤣🤣

The next kiln I fabricate will be, though.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I Think...wait wait.....I know it's an addicting adventure.

Something about creating something you can create something in that you created.

Just as a $400 pair of designer jeans is worth the money to some.....

The satisfaction of this is worth it.

IMO...this satisfaction is way better than some bitch ass denim!

Sorce

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
And never discount the value of failure.
nothing in my life has ever satisfied me as much as, or taught me more than recovering from my failures.
I have learned stuff from books and schools, but not near as much or as deeply as I have from my mistakes and misconceptions.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't feel the need to learn flint napping everytime my butcher knife gets dull. My niece's husband is a PhD anthropologist, and he feels he needs to learn flint napping, but that is to prove some obscure historical point about paleolithic technology, not because he needs a sharp knife in the kitchen.

Your experiments are interesting, and I enjoy following the progression, but I think if you really wanted to make bonsai pots that are durable enough to actually use for bonsai, you should really just invest in a decent kiln.

lol...not dogging you @Leo in N E Illinois but by this logic, why do we spend so much money on bonsai tools and material when we could just buy a finished bonsai ;) I personally could have bought a half dozen top notch bonsai by now for the time and materials I've spent on the crap growing around my yard!

At the end of the day...we do hobbies to be doing things that make us happy. For some, that's buying an already completed bonsai to take care of. For others, it's growing new material from seed. And for other others...it's building kilns :D

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
lol...not dogging you @Leo in N E Illinois but by this logic, why do we spend so much money on bonsai tools and material when we could just buy a finished bonsai ;) I personally could have bought a half dozen top notch bonsai by now for the time and materials I've spent on the crap growing around my yard!

At the end of the day...we do hobbies to be doing things that make us happy. For some, that's buying an already completed bonsai to take care of. For others, it's growing new material from seed. And for other others...it's building kilns :D
Point well made.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
All sealed up!

Now gonna just keep adding moderate layers of the Ash/grog/sand-heavy slip (Made with about 1/3 OF the “clay component” being a mix of Kaolin and ball clay ((I have it for glazes))) Until I run out. 🤣

Theeen it gets an external torch treatment.

4D4ACAE6-2D04-48DF-BBC8-4D3169A81CBE.jpeg

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also.. ORIGINALLY.. the idea was to construct a wood-fired kiln.. even cheaper. ;) I just.. made the damn thing too small! 🤣🤣🤣

The next kiln I fabricate will be, though.
Forgive me if this has been explored earlier in the thread, but —

Have you dug around for “experimental archaeology” info? You might find a good deal of “what we tried, and how it worked out” info, maybe something useful.

Also, “just” archaeology, but might be fun to see:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

Have you dug around for “experimental archaeology” info? You might find a good deal of “what we tried, and how it worked out” info, maybe something useful.

Thank you for the link! I’ve not read that!

I studied quite a bit of “endemic people’s” Pottery and firing Processes... Australia was my favorite to “study”.. but people in Australia have access to much better materials in the ground/around them..
But I am partial to Native American Earth kilns.. go figure. 🤣

I will check that out, more thoroughly, at my leisure.

🤓

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

Just actually read a lil bit..

SPLENDID!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Theeen it gets an external torch treatment.

I think you may be better off just firing it, since it will dry nice and slow from the inside.

Unless "external torch treatment" means shining an English Flashlight aboot it.

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think you may be better off just firing it, since it will dry nice and slow from the inside.

Unless "external torch treatment" means shining an English Flashlight aboot it.

Sorce
Haha! Gotcha, friend. Thank you!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Take in this 2 part series and leave Phil and Dennis a comment that Sorce sent ya! They're great people!

Read this article, and of you google it, there's a handy PDF, that I, having some internet class, won't post the link to!😉😭 (Trojan Bastards)

Read all the "technical info" tabs here. In the order most useful to you.

There's a ton of Raku videos on Youtube that could also serve very useful for your situation.

Simon Leach had some videos on his weed burner setup.
New Saying...
Leach Trained Breaches Bullshit.
Don't know how else to put it.
Take ALL his stuff in!
Simon is so modest it's hard to tell you are learning so much till you realize what it is you're learning.

Sorce
Just watched part 1, last night, part 2, this morning.

AMAZING!!! I’m SO glad I did..

The PS3.. which is our only.. “tv object”, won’t let me leave comments.. (I’ll try on the phone now). But I DID subscribe and will be viewing videos from that “channel” frequently now.

Thank you, brotha.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Just watched part 1, last night, part 2, this morning.

AMAZING!!! I’m SO glad I did..

The PS3.. which is our only.. “tv object”, won’t let me leave comments.. (I’ll try on the phone now). But I DID subscribe and will be viewing videos from that “channel” frequently now.

Thank you, brotha.
Part 3 was great!

Then, whilst perusing the videos, I noticed one titled: “Operating a small, gas, updraft kiln”... I was all, “Hey!.. that’s pretty relevant”...great video.

I also watched a few of the “shorts”, like the 13-17-minute Selections.

Thanks again for bringing this “channel” to my attention.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The rain stopped for long enough that I was able to let the kiln dry, fully.. then slap some more layers of shell on it..
Almost time...609A2D8B-9CE5-4BFF-8541-933E4944E55E.jpeg
Also, Abstract New England post-colonial cottage I am working on.. A895B231-F10D-4CF2-866B-00556B563F17.jpegC30A37E5-FB8A-4FA1-9E31-45D700452567.jpeg

(Obviously IN progress, just sharing)

@Wulfskaar had mentioned he was interested in seeing my new “structure-based” endeavors.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Still doing chaos in the swamp

A few new ones in the fire, and the big one that broke during the last fire.
I put it back together with some slip and ash, and brushed it down with some too. It will probably blow up, but that makes it more fun if it doesn’t.

image.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Still doing chaos in the swamp

A few new ones in the fire, and the big one that broke during the last fire.
I put it back together with some slip and ash, and brushed it down with some too. It will probably blow up, but that makes it more fun if it doesn’t.

View attachment 371903
NICE!
That’ll be interesting to see if you can “glue them”.... that’s alot of different temps/moistures exchanging and “changing”

I hope it works!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey
Just to spice it up,
Will this do some reducing?
When i wood-fire, I DO consider wood/whatever I’m burnin; solid fuel.

So fuel-rich environment, sure!

I think, that given the pieces POSITION in relation to the flame, in a pit fire, it’s all “reducing”..

(this is bull... the last thing I said) 🤣

Cover it in alligator dung!

They do it with Llamas!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Had until 4pm before the rains rolled through.

So I decided to throw some unglazed pieces in there and do a lil “bisque” to get used to my new regulator and to dry/fire the kiln.. trying to crack it a lil’.. then a couple thin, watery shell coats.. (i believe I will do this process for the next couple fires)
7C0D9646-1DD0-404E-94C2-917A4A7B77FD.jpegE86061A8-A41D-4EB0-B9F7-05BCEFC0F9AD.jpeg9FA0A7F8-2146-4F83-A6A1-DB9BAC1336FF.jpeg

Top Bottom