Texas Shohin Crape Myrtle

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
That's crazy growth for this time of year. My one potted one is just starting to move, but it spent the winter in the garage. My landscape crapes haven't shown any signs of life yet. But then, I'm not in TX:(.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That's crazy growth for this time of year. My one potted one is just starting to move, but it spent the winter in the garage. My landscape crapes haven't shown any signs of life yet. But then, I'm not in TX:(.

Living in Houston has its blessing and curses. One blessing is the long growing season - fall starts in mid December, spring starts in early February.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wire applied a few weeks back is starting to bite in. Most of it needs to be removed and the new growth needs to be wired. The whole thing needs to be cut back.
1E1AB466-60FC-4D83-BE8F-2340407ED4B5.jpegDBAB4598-1BAF-4D0C-B9B1-C39355FC5F82.jpeg

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here’s the drill. I removed all the leaves on the extending shoots. I left alone all of the weak interior growth. For the extending shoots on branches I wanted to strengthen or on branches I wanted to thicken, I just removed the old leaves. I kept the new ones and did not remove the growing tips. This keeps the growth strong and allows light and air into the interior. The shoots I wanted to hold back, I defoliated completely and cut back the shoot.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Strong, healthy trees respond. For branch development, I like to let my tree grow out significantly and then cut back hard. Crape Myrtle’s (and many other deciduous broadleaf trees) trees respond with a flush of strong backbudding. Here’s the tree when I cutback on July 11th. I think it’s my third major one this year.

3AE5B35A-5A45-430A-B3AF-72A0058D89D1.jpegC5034FA3-57DC-4865-8E67-5BFAB7C90F29.jpeg

S

Top Bottom