The cooking thread

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Texas chilli
That’s good that you prefaced it with “my idea of”... cause you can get in a lot of “trouble” talkin’ ‘bout Texas! 🤣🤣 They want to secede.. and they COULD!

1613482623747.jpeg
Smoked Brisket IS how they “do it”, though.

Sounds delicious!

We COULD start talking about noodles in chili... really get people “riled up”.

🤓

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
That’s good that you prefaced it with “my idea of”... cause you can get in a lot of “trouble” talkin’ ‘bout Texas!
Looking at recipes and each one was different so I just took some of the main points and ran with whatever we had that would work.
It was the best chilli I think I´ve ever had and I´m totally down with tossin those awful beans.

We COULD start talking about noodles in chili... really get people “riled up”.

Noodles?
I could understand something like fettucine, that would work well. We had it with plain old rice but was better next day in a taco thing.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looking at recipes and each one was different so I just took some of the main points and ran with whatever we had that would work.
It was the best chilli I think I´ve ever had and I´m totally down with tossin those awful beans.

Noodles?
I could understand something like fettucine, that would work well. We had it with plain old rice but was better next day in a taco thing.
Hehe! Beans are real important. (Authentically)

Haha! And noodles (Elbow) is a Mid-Western thing. From Polish and Prussian immigrants, I believe.

Noodles in the chili will piss a Texan RIGHT off!

Also fists start flying over the inclusion of BELL peppers.

When the Chefs I would work with with would argue such matters, I, also doing the executive chef gig, would say something off the wall, like, “...yeah, ok. How ‘bout capers in there?”

🤣

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is the meat? Can't tell from the picture what cut it is.

Turkey breast and sirloin tips. Butcher visit for the beef.....freezer reclamation project from the in-laws prior to their move to N. Cackalacki.....

...my ol' lady would wig-out on the egg rolls, I would as well...

ha...had to get married in Oct.....wonder if she would like "wife" better?.... 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hehe! Beans are real important. (Authentically)

Haha! And noodles (Elbow) is a Mid-Western thing. From Polish and Prussian immigrants, I believe.

Noodles in the chili will piss a Texan RIGHT off!

Also fists start flying over the inclusion of BELL peppers.

When the Chefs I would work with with would argue such matters, I, also doing the executive chef gig, would say something off the wall, like, “...yeah, ok. How ‘bout capers in there?”

🤣

ain't no beans in Texas chili.....

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another Wee Mac on the way?🤰:D Congrats on the marriage.🍾

Another? no...no....nooooooo......

Me no story of la marriage...? Ha...couple hours in city hall....masked up.....walking out, (I'm about 6' 4 or so w/chippewas...) I thanked every person there for attending mu' nuptials...even if they were there to register to vote/ what have you.....no honeymoon, it's Covid-world....

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Another? no...no....nooooooo......

Me no story of la marriage...? Ha...couple hours in city hall....masked up.....walking out, (I'm about 6' 4 or so w/chippewas...) I thanked every person there for attending mu' nuptials...even if they were there to register to vote/ what have you.....no honeymoon, it's Covid-world....
So why the "angry" face?

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I ordered a couple of kilos of ribs and drumsticks but instead they sent rib tips and chicken thighs.

I was really looking forward to some nice sticky ribs but oh well, so I have the thighs in a whisky, chilli and garlic brine for 6 odd hours and made a simple rub for the tips. Probably make a bbq sauce for the tips and smoke and wrap them and then glaze the chicken with the same sauce and maybe some twice cooked chips(fries).
Think I'll need both the weber kettle and grill running.

cc.jpgd.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice. I didn't document the process as you did, but then I am not a chef/have not been employed as one. I was doing laundry and watering my trees while cooking lol.
Hahaha! I actually documented this for our “homeschool culinary (or whatever)” file.. ‘cause them boys helped me. And we do lots of “supplementary activities”

It FELT like too much when I was attaching the files. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Hahaha! I actually documented this for our “homeschool culinary (or whatever)” file.. ‘cause them boys helped me. And we do lots of “supplementary activities”

It FELT like too much when I was attaching the files. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I think it's great that you have the boys help cooking, I was just teasing. I learned from my parents as well. They owned a restaurant from when I was 8-18. Nothing fancy, fried chicken, home-made pork sausage, country sort of food. All of my friends always say "you should own a restaurant", ha, no way. My parents never made it to one of my band concerts, plays, ect. Hard to raise a family and run a restaurant.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Indeed! Restaurant life is TOUGH!... you spend a while doing grunt stuff.. learning.. waiting for it to get easier to “handle”.. it never does.. new responsibilities fill any “comfort gaps” as you are “trusted” with more and more... I started YOUNG in kitchens.. split up slightly, i have spend 13 years doing that... every position imaginable, with a biiig smile, of course. You get what you put in.. and I tend to “climb” quicker, as my generational “peers” are mostly “type B” employees...

I LOVED it.. for a long time.. but would NOT recommend “starting a restaurant” to anyone... Tears and broken promises l

Even at “the top” (or AS “top” as a NON-owner could be)... it’s a BRUTAL business.. especially when your the last guy there.. or the first guy in. .. sooo EITHER shift! 🤣🤣🤣

I can EASILY recall 3 kitchens that consumed portions of my “soul” that I’m STILL trying to recover!

🤣🤣🤣🤣

It’s great ‘cause you can understand!!!

Top Bottom