The cooking thread

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
But you have to eat them TOGETHER or it doesn't work.
No worries, she don't like what I eat for lunch either.

I like dark brown sugar, but sweeten mine with Tulip Poplar honey.
It's a rich dark candied honey flavor :)
1c 1 minute oats
1.5c milk
1/2c water
Shave some apple in if I'm feelin my oats, maybe some raisins, but the honey is enough really.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I hate oatmeal.🤢
I don't think it's deserving of the barf smiley.
What about oatmeal cookies, or oatmeal haystacks,
do you like either of those? I have a weakness for oatmeal haystacks big time.
Now had he said together with cottage cheese, now THAT would be deserving of a barf smiley.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
cottage cheese, now THAT would be deserving of a barf smiley.
It is deserving, yuck. I never eat cookies and have no idea what an oatmeal haystack is. But it's a free country, eat whatever you like. I like fried chicken gizzards and my husband thinks they're disgusting. My grandpa and dad were butchers, so we had stuff like blood sausage and sauteed brains. I did put my foot down when my Grandma made tripe or kidney pie.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is deserving, yuck. I never eat cookies and have no idea what an oatmeal haystack is. But it's a free country, eat whatever you like. I like fried chicken gizzards and my husband thinks they're disgusting. My grandpa and dad were butchers, so we had stuff like blood sausage and sauteed brains. I did put my foot down when my Grandma made tripe or kidney pie.
And now I'm EXTRA disappointed that I can't find beef heart in the grocery stores around here any more. Got enough ox tails saved up for a big batch of stew now, though.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
And now I'm EXTRA disappointed that I can't find beef heart in the grocery stores around here any more. Got enough ox tails saved up for a big batch of stew now, though.
When we cleaned out my parents house after my dad passed away, I found a newspaper clipping about my Grandma winning some cooking contest with her stuffed beef heart, lol. My dad always used oxtails to make vegetable/beef soup.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
IT'S @Cajunrider's FAULT!
He already admitted it!

No one in town has gumbo filé, and pickled is all I could find for okra. It's snowing and roads are icy, so I'm not going to the next town over to look.

We start with the rue.
IMG_20221118_110719_264.jpg
Still the rue.
IMG_20221118_112743_500.jpg
STILL the rue.
IMG_20221118_113826_412.jpg
And then we add in the andouille sausage, onion, garlic, a couple carrots, and our okra.
Can't think of a better use of some freezer burned catfish, and leftover chicken enchilada filling.
IMG_20221118_114518_576.jpg
Season, add some peppers (unfortunately all mild because my 11 year old isn't so in to the spicy) a bit of chicken and beef broth, and into the oven at 225F to finish.
IMG_20221118_121000_923.jpg
Might kick the heat up at the end so I can make some bread to go with it.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
IT'S @Cajunrider's FAULT!
He already admitted it!

No one in town has gumbo filé, and pickled is all I could find for okra. It's snowing and roads are icy, so I'm not going to the next town over to look.

We start with the rue.
View attachment 463333
Still the rue.
View attachment 463334
STILL the rue.
View attachment 463336
And then we add in the andouille sausage, onion, garlic, a couple carrots, and our okra.
Can't think of a better use of some freezer burned catfish, and leftover chicken enchilada filling.
View attachment 463339
Season, add some peppers (unfortunately all mild because my 11 year old isn't so in to the spicy) a bit of chicken and beef broth, and into the oven at 225F to finish.
View attachment 463340
Might kick the heat up at the end so I can make some bread to go with it.
Have you done Pistolettes? It's a game changer for me.
Be forewarned, those cheesy seafood stuffed fried bread are addictive. I will not accept any responsibilities for your addiction.
Like my lady usually says: "My husband is the fatty gateway!"

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have you done Pistolettes? It's a game changer for me.
Be forewarned, those cheesy seafood stuffed fried bread are addictive. I will not accept any responsibilities for your addiction.
Like my lady usually says: "My husband is the fatty gateway!"
I seem to recall having them before, but I've never made them. I'm having a hard enough time getting the kids to touch the catfish, so I might have to focus on seafood for a while.😜 And there's no better way than Cajun!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Let's talk turkey. What is your plan for Thanksgiving?
Mine is still undecided. We will either do Smoked or Fried turkey or both. We have yet to make up our mind. I'll let my children decide.

Last edited:

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've smoked a turkey a couple of times for holidays. I recommend mulberry wood. A very soft, bright, subtle sweetness that works well for poultry and fish, and all other white meats. Mulberry also doesn't need to be dry/cured; you can use it green right off the tree.

Thanksgiving is at a friend's this year, so probably just oven roasted turkey.
Pie pumpkins were on clearance last week, and I couldn't help myself (I have a real soft spot for pumpkins) so I'm baking ALLOT of pies tonight.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Let's talk turkey. What is your plan for Thanksgiving?
Mine is still undecided. We will either do Smoked or Fried turkey or both. We have yet to make up our mind. I'll let my children decide.
I vote fried, nothing like that crispy skin! We're going to relatives, so I'm just making an appetizer and some sides. But I always cook a turkey breast, just so we can have sandwiches later.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I vote fried, nothing like that crispy skin! We're going to relatives, so I'm just making an appetizer and some sides. But I always cook a turkey breast, just so we can have sandwiches later.
We did fried turkey. It was a bit of a struggle with a barely adequate burner, but it turned out great.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Bought these prime rib roasts on sale at $3.97/lb. Applied dry rubs and then spiked a bunch of garlic deep in the meat and left in the fridge for 48 hrs. Smoked with ash @225 F. Paired with a bottle of Caymus 2018 that the children gave us and a bottle of unknown red salvaged from the hurricanes and we had a great Christmas meal. Grand-babies at the table made it fantastic!
658FDBDD-04FA-4921-9BBE-D7019995F6F8.jpeg
411A33A9-916D-4B33-9C30-E619B2E6B32B.jpeg
300097CB-16E8-4B5A-9DD4-C5C187D079E8.jpeg75A9AF9D-BE4D-478E-AD8B-3A89499C3EB0.jpeg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some stuff I cooked recently. Ratatouille and grilled octopus. The octopus 🐙 was damn good and surprising to those who ate it.

Attachments

• A6A617C4-A12E-4AF3-AC6D-9964144E2041.jpeg
    A6A617C4-A12E-4AF3-AC6D-9964144E2041.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 44BBF2B3-82F0-4BE4-B6C3-B9A923509472.jpeg
    44BBF2B3-82F0-4BE4-B6C3-B9A923509472.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 3

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
OMG
My oldest loves spicy stuff, and she's trying to make her own spicy chip powder, like the stuff that coats your fingers while you're eating Doritos. Only her favorite is Takis.
I don't have chili powder, but I have lots of dried chilis, so we put them in a food processor to grind them.
IMG_20230101_150914_662.jpg
WE GOT THE DUST IN US! 🥵🤧🥵😭🥵😵🤬
Girl is a genius, though! She added tabasco sauce to keep the dust down.

Now we're drying it out to sift it, maybe get some of the seeds and peels out.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
2 inches of snow overnight.

So, naturally, while I'm thinking soup, the kids are using apple juice to make snow cones when they get too cold making snowmen.
IMG_20230102_133430_866.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My dishwasher is broken, so I am embracing sheet pan dinners. sheetpan.jpg

Top Bottom