The real Winter Display Exhibit

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you’ll entertain comments from me...

The JBP on top is nice. It moves to the left. But the “drop” shelf moves to the right. (The movement is dictated by the lower shelf, much like the key branch of a tree is the lowest). So, I think it would look better, with either the tree, or the stand turned around.

I think the little stand the JBP is on is too tall. While it’s a very nice stand, there’s a lot of “air” under the tree. Especially as the pot has tall legs. The combination of pot/ stand lifts the tree up too far. A simple jita, or very low stand (if any at all) would be better. And black would be good. It’s more formal, and the JBP top is the most “formal” tree in the composition.

Next is the trident? on the middle shelf on the right. Again, it’s a very nice tree, but the movement is pointing up to the right. It should be pointing at the JBP on top. And, it’s heavy for a middle shelf tree. I prefer to see the chunkier trees on the bottom shelf, as that establishes weight and stability. I would move it to where the tree in the red pot is.

You could simply swap positions of the tree in the red pot with the big trident, or move the red pot to the bottom right, and move the tree in the blue pot up to the middle shelf. I would have to try the various combos out and see how the look.

One more thing, the two stands under the trees in the box are too similiar. The leg shapes are similiar.

The choice of varieties of trees is very good as is the variety of pots.

The box stand is very attractive.

All in all, it’s a very nice display. The changes I suggested are my opinions, and others may see “movement” differently than I do. Thank you for posting this display.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
冬の展示は薄と満月と梅花?申し訳ないが、ちょっと分かりません。
There isn’t really any need to write in Japanese on this forum, don’t you think so?
This assuming you have the intention of people understanding what you say that is...

And susuki can still look nice in winter too.
65F96F06-7EAA-4C18-BC16-2A6AB5596929.jpeg

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
WoW !!

All that furniture and all that stuff to store.

You do realise that for an Oil painter, what you
are designing there is a - Still Life - for a painting.

Thanks Al for the work.

Sorry, it is too much.
I will stick to the basics - Tree with unseen pot.
Good Day
Anthony

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
冬の展示は薄と満月と梅花?申し訳ないが、ちょっと分かりません。
It’s a harvest scroll, with wheat, grapes, and full moon, so I concede that, even though that’s not what the translator suggests is your criticism. However, nearly every month has a full moon, and the Ume blooms happen now, whether I like it or not. The stone to me is stark, still and silent like winter.

You can critique my display in English. We are both in America, dude. I have thick skin and decent trees.
AF4F4EEF-D8FB-4A95-9D31-B881B88B9935.jpeg

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
It’s a harvest scroll, with wheat, grapes, and full moon, so I concede that, even though that’s not what the translator suggests is your criticism. However, nearly every month has a full moon, and the Ume blooms happen now, whether I like it or not. The stone to me is stark, still and silent like winter.

You can critique my display in English. We are both in America, dude. I have thick skin and decent trees.
View attachment 223313

I forgot to look at your location. It is Alabama. So the Ume in bloom would be spot on, From a traditional Japanese display perspective (not saying you are right or wrong) ...
Ume is an early spring clue (Mid-late Feb and Early March)
Full Moon is an Autumn Clue
Sorry in the painting looked like Susuki (Japanese pampas grass) to me....is an Autumn clue (because it is a harvest scroll)
It is a mixed message. Auto translators still can't do the trick of nuance can they....
Chotto would be used to soften the statement that I don't understand (rather than the word know) the two mixed seasons in one display.

As for clues to better match your Plum in a phase just starting to bloom...
Crescent Moon or an 鶯 uguisu (Nightingale)...both are appropriate for early spring.
Now, I guess the trick is to make it appropriate to Alabama...
I was only in Memphis for one Winter and Spring season...but
the cardinal's always seemed more active (or at least I noticed them more) in
late Winter/early Spring....

And BTW Go Tigers (Memphis not Auburn)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just wish to express my thanks to the forum in respecting the title, even putting EXHIBIT in there. I was hoping this would be a place that the forum could come and just appreciate the trees, without all the self indulgent pro's exercising their need to point out every detail missing from an otherwise fun idea. There is enough arguing and and self aggrandizing that goes on around here that I thought a little formal display of some winter trees would be a nice thing.

Too bad...it started out good, but quickly deteriorated .....as it always does....Thanks.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just wish to express my thanks to the forum in respecting the title, even putting EXHIBIT in there. I was hoping this would be a place that the forum could come and just appreciate the trees, without all the self indulgent pro's exercising their need to point out every detail missing from an otherwise fun idea. There is enough arguing and and self aggrandizing that goes on around here that I thought a little formal display of some winter trees would be a nice thing.

Too bad...it started out good, but quickly deteriorated .....as it always does....Thanks.
Alright, here is my EXHIBIT from the Winter Silohette Show:

46451D1B-9698-4C25-B2C7-460E3C2A526D.jpeg

Top Bottom