The Rip-Snortin’, Rootin’ Tootin’ Advice Thread!

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have heard that petroleum jelly will seal evergreens, I have never used it though. I separate 1 ply of Kleenex and push it into the sap on the wound and and for some reason it stops the flow.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So.. upon receiving my Ficus Burtt Davyi, and acclimating it to my “indoor cool/warm room”.. it has begun to fruit.. from the looks of it.. quite a bit..

I am VERY excited at the prospect of “seed theory” with this particular plant..

Does anyone here have any experience doing such a “Ficus seed theory” undertaking?

Thank you.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This ficus variety continually fruits for me as well.
I am not sure what a Ficus seed theory is.
Planting many seeds.. different germination temperatures/durations(THIS may not be necessary.. i do not know ficus very well)

Observing, side-by-side many seedlings with their own, slightly varied. attributes. Obviously HOPING for larger variations, but not holding my breath.

Something like that.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Planting many seeds.. different germination temperatures/durations(THIS may not be necessary.. i do not know ficus very well)

Observing, side-by-side many seedlings with their own, slightly varied. attributes. Obviously HOPING for larger variations, but not holding my breath.

Something like that.
for ficus to create viable seed, the flowers (figs) need to be pollinated. This is done by small wasp that crawl inside the ficus, dying in the process. These wasps are linked to the fig: only very specific species can pollinate them. Unless you are in the tropics (Are you?) chances are, you will not get fertilized fics.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
for ficus to create viable seed, the flowers (figs) need to be pollinated. This is done by small wasp that crawl inside the ficus, dying in the process. These wasps are linked to the fig: only very specific species can pollinate them. Unless you are in the tropics (Are you?) chances are, you will not get fertilized fics.
Yes! I’ve seen these wasps! I watched a special on the river banyans.. thank you!!

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have a japanese maple that refuses to airlayer. What is the best technique for something stubborn? Using soil in a pot?

I'm not a total noob. On my Sango kaku I'm 7 for 7.

But on this sawa chidori I'm 0 for 7! Ouch!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a japanese maple that refuses to airlayer. What is the best technique for something stubborn? Using soil in a pot?

I'm not a total noob. On my Sango kaku I'm 7 for 7.

But on this sawa chidori I'm 0 for 7! Ouch!
I applaud your diligence. I would move on after 7 fails but fortunately there are those that push on ....... sometimes they succeed.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Let's discuss wiring in the rain...Or wiring trees when... moist.

I cannot find too much information on this.

I have done this before and not noticed any ill-effects, but a few main factors and how they relate to the wiring process and stress/injury to the tree's tissues has me curious as to what every(any)one else thinks.

🤓

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let's discuss wiring in the rain...Or wiring trees when... moist.

I cannot find too much information on this.

I have done this before and not noticed any ill-effects, but a few main factors and how they relate to the wiring process and stress/injury to the tree's tissues has me curious as to what every(any)one else thinks.

🤓
I regularly wet juniper when wiring so to reduce rubbing the fatty acid from my hands on the tree

Top Bottom