The toughness of a Tamarack

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike; If you have an example of this tree bring it down with you I would like to try and identify it. It very well should be an addition to the MABA list for the MABA awards.
The one I collecred.ted last year I just threw in a bucket with the native soil. It grew all new branches and generally took off like it was on fire. This spring I pulled it out,washed all of the soil out ,put it in a collander with floor dry. It promptly died. They are hard to find with a single trunk but I'm looking for another.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
My Larch was dug up in August of 1982. Personally I think they do quite well in colanders and pond baskets. If you have some sphagnum moss, the raw stuff, you can root these guys in it.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Larch was dug up in August of 1982. Personally I think they do quite well in colanders and pond baskets. If you have some sphagnum moss, the raw stuff, you can root these guys in it.

Can get fresh sphagnum moss by the truckloads.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm posting this here cuz I got it via the Bonsaisaurus, and it is a testament to its toughness.

We missed the UPS guy so this was boxed up for three days!

Well. The low branching on this thing is awesome, and it's pushing well.

Gonna slip it in a basket soon.

20150611_170914.jpg
Last Wednesday or Thursday.

20150617_063949.jpg
Couple days ago.

20150615_064805.jpg
Great low branches!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is doing good. I was worried about the time in transit. Whew! That's a relief. Grow,grow,grow!

Janson

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So much talk of tamaracks/larchs' lately really makes me wanting one! Not sure what nurseries will carry them in the northern illinois area, may need to order online?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They had a few at The Hidden Gardens.
Japanese larch.

Course. They got em up there in the mitten too!

I love it! Really cool tree!

Sorce

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ohhh man, treat those low branches like there the queen jewels.....or whatever you would consider valuable...hehehe.....nice start.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Almost all I collecred.ted from the area I got that one have similar bends in the trunk. They used to be on the side of the road under a powerline. From plows throwing snow on them all winter makes them like that.
I say used to because the rest have all been mowed.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still collectable?

Sorce

They're just stubs now. Some in low spots may hAve been spared. Those will have a trunk chop going already.
I'll find more. They're not everywhere but almost. I have 5 or more spots to go looking.
It's hard to keep track of all of the different spots.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
He who shall not be named (Will Heath) used to keep those locations on his GPS.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So do I. And going to start marking them on county maps. Just in case.
Do you know what county Will visited? If it's near here I can probably find his spot. It seems my job sends me to every swamp in a 150 mile radius.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I might be able to find that out if he is willing to release those locations. He might not be. Gives me a good excuise to get in touch with him. I really miss the guy.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I might be able to find that out if he is willing to release those locations. He might not be. Gives me a good excuise to get in touch with him. I really miss the guy.

I don't need the locations Vance. But if you do get a hold of him put him in touch with me. I would like to meet him and talk him into talking you into coming up for a tramp through the bushes.

Top Bottom