The Tree Thread

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I posted this Birch already, ive since reduced it for better taper and movement in the left trunk, i will continue to train all of the new shoots into a weeping form, i call it dancing Birch, i like the back just as much as the front..in future i see it in a Literati style pot
IMG_1983 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_1854 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I posted this Birch already, ive since reduced it for better taper and movement in the left trunk, i will continue to train all of the new shoots into a weeping form, i call it dancing Birch, i like the back just as much as the front..in future i see it in a Literati style pot
IMG_1983 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_1854 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

You've achieved a very promissing beginning for this not-so-usual species for bonsai.

It's got a nice, elegant movement of the trunk, the bark has a very interesting colour/texture, and you seem to have understood its requirements because I saw the progression and it always looked healthy and happy to be taken care of by you.

Yet, I still think it might look even better if you only kept one of the two big branches at the top. My 2 € centimes... :oops:

OK, since the game is to post one of your own tree if you post a comment, here's a Guelder rose (Viburnum opulus), another not-so-usual species I already posted a picture of somewhere. Kind of unusual design too :D

20160803122258-6b6de6bb-me.jpg

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@AlainK Thanks for your thoughts Alain, its something i will consider for next season....
and your right, Viburnam is another species seldom used, your is a nice example, very tree like..

As i must share a tree, i'll post my English Elm yamadori, ive been recently tidying up the branch structure, setting it up for a better future

IMG_1995 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

IMG_2009 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's another one I'm preparing for the Nationals:

Before:

image.jpeg

After:

image.jpeg

And, yes, that is the back of that tree. I believe I need to have it move to the right for the display. I'm planning to change it to a painted pot right before the show.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Things have to start somewhere. Cascade Shimpaku first styling in progress. More to follow as I complete the composition process. Sometimes it takes me days to get these ideas down.

DSC_0372 copy.JPG

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's an out of control Sumo JBP!

I decandled most of it. There are a few shoots I did not decandle on grafts I've placed, and some needle buds that popped this year, so those have long needles. But, wow! The summer candles are super strong! I gotta slow this puppy down! Next year, I'll decandle later. Maybe I need to look for a smaller pot.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
After strongly considering @AlainK 's suggestion and studying the tree daily, i decided to make a further reduction of the left trunk on my Birch, its been growing so well, the removal is hardly noticed, but the tree is indeed better for it, really pleased with the result!
IMG_2144 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_2146 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
After strongly considering @AlainK 's suggestion and studying the tree daily, i decided to make a further reduction of the left trunk on my Birch, its been growing so well, the removal is hardly noticed, but the tree is indeed better for it, really pleased with the result!
IMG_2144 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_2146 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
The second pic looks better than the first IMO. Ever think of shortening it?
image.jpeg
This was a cutting I did from a knob of branches growing on a Trident I have in the ground. Just stuck it in some dirt and it rooted! Turned out kinda nice... I have it up for sale on $.99 Bonsai on FB if anybody wants it. Kind of surprised nobody bid on not yet! Most people seem to want the single trunk trees...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's a little Olive.

image.jpeg

Now, I need to find a pot...

Oh, in case anyone wonders, like I did, what the writing on the pot says, it's stuff like "spring", "summer", "fall", "rain", "wind"...

Top Bottom