thinking of a red wood

jimj.

Sapling
Reaction score
I have been thinking of buying a dawn redwood tree but I have never had one so I would like some info about this kind of tree. I have noticed most of them are formal upright but I like the unusual type can the redwood be trained in other styles easily? I lost my old ficus I had for several years and now have a mica pot that needs a tree in it. I prefer the outdoor type of bonsai because my better half does not like plants in the house.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Redwood is difficult to style realistically in any other style than formal upright. Even formal uprights can be challenging because of the long growth habit of the branches. Young trees tend to sprout all over with growth that shoots straight upwards for a foot (or more) if not immediately trimmed. It is a challenging species to maintain as bonsai - but don't let me stop you from trying!

emk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Just thought I'd mention that you might take a look at Bald Cypress which is quite similar in appearance to a Dawn Redwood, but has significantly finer growth. I have one of each in the very earliest stages of developement at the moment and I plan on styling both as uprights.

jimj.

Sapling
Reaction score
Thank you for your replys it means alot to me. I will see about the bald cypress.

Top Bottom