Tipping point cont'd

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
It might be a good time to take stock of ourselves right here.

If a child of nine were to read this thread he/she might think they were back in the schoolyard.
The back and forth point scoring not to lose face is not productive and not why we are here.

Think about it, many of us have not even met each other so this all becomes conjecture. A figment of our imagination.

As supposedly mature adults addicted to bonsai it may now be time to actually address the subject rather than the individual personalities. (as Will Heath has repeatedly said) Most have been guilty of this.

I propose we make a pledge.............

That we show respect to each other and keep within the subject matter.
If we have differences of opinion we should agree to disagree (end of subject)
Ash

irene_b agrees to this pledge

Ashbarns

Mame
Reaction score
Graydon I fully respect your opinion on this and yes I am serious.

I commit myself to this pledge.

Ash

AndyWilson

Mame
Reaction score
Im with Graydon, i am not going to respect everyone just cos they take the time to write something down. Sometimes (myself included) people write the biggest load of BS, and they need to be told that, i respect their right to write their opinion, but they must respect other peoples right to say what they think about that opinion. This is an internet forum after all...

I would agree that we need to stick to the topic at hand.

But respect is earned, in every sphere of life.

Edit - the sentiment is right, i would personally pledge to not say anything if it isnt constructive, or contributes to the topic at hand.

Last edited:

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Are you kidding me?!? Is this serious?

I'm not drinking that cool aid - sorry.

I respect your differences of opinion.

(Not to hard to do)

Mom

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Im with Graydon, i am not going to respect everyone just cos they take the time to write something down. Sometimes (myself included) people write the biggest load of BS, and they need to be told that, i respect their right to write their opinion, but they must respect other peoples right to say what they think about that opinion. This is an internet forum after all...

Edit - the sentiment is right, i would personally pledge to not say anything if it isnt constructive, or contributes to the topic at hand.

I respect your differences of opinion.

(Again Not to hard to do)

Mom

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm, I must look at life differently....

Take a stranger for example, someone you just met or a newcomer to the forum, do they not derserve to be treated with respect? Why? They haven't earned it according to some.....

Myself, I give everyone respect and trust right from the start, they can't earn any more, all they can do is chip it away and it can't be replaced.

Once it is gone, they no longer matter one way or another, I ignore them, they become basically non-persons to me, they do not exist in my world....why even let it bother you, the effort is not worth the reward....they say that sea water contains tons and tons of gold but the cost of extracting it is far more expensive than what the gold is worth.....the cost is not worth the reward.

I think Ash had a good suggestion, basically just treating others with mutual respect. He did not say you had to eat crap or kiss butt, he said what we should all have learned in kindergarten, treat each other as you would like to be treated. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I can make his pledge because I respect everyone, until given a reason not to. At that point I can honestly say I tried.

Will

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"respect must be earned"

...this needs some explanation.

A stranger deserves respect by default. By virtue of common courtesy. The problem starts when he loses this respect due to his actions.

So, the expression "respect must be earned" means that one is responsible to act in such a manner that his actions do not jeopardize the respect of his fellow human beings.

We also recognize that there are various degrees of respect: there is a basic, common courtesy kind of respect, and there is respect reserved only for those with extraordinary achievements. This can be earned over a long time, with hard work.

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Will I am thinking Wow, how do we all miss that one, we all know it and it really is very simple - We all know the "Golden rule".

Although I tend to be a bit more pessamistic( too many years dealing directly with the public) but I must say that as a rule I have been taught to be polite, in my job and most others you treat the customer as "Always right" leave the crosses at home folks, I am not saying "they" are always right, but if you start with that attitude most conversations, or problems are usually pretty easy to work through. Will you take a good path too using a open mind, rather than preconcieved notions, good way to approach the issue, Start with respect. Good answer. Many times coworkers will ask me how did you get that guy to stop hasseling us, answer - Hi My name is Bill - How can I help you? I 99% leave previously enraged customers with them thanking me, and top it off 80% do not get what they wanted, but I find that what they really wanted was usually for someone to listen to them, and at least give a reasonable explanation, it really works.

Mutual respect works for me - unless it's intentionally undermined. I can do that.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can make his pledge because I respect everyone, until given a reason not to.

Will

This is why the above pledge doesn't make sense.

Until given a reason not to, it is common courtesy to respect someone. You don't need to pledge for this, you would be a real jerk not to respect a stranger.

But once he gives you a reason not to respect him, the pledge doesn't apply anymore.

So, why do you need to pledge just to act like a normal person would? This is like making a pledge that you wouldn't kill someone for no reason.

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
The respect you give is the respect you get...

But alot of the respect you give comes from "interaction" with other people. There are alot of people whom you've never met, but because of their historical subterfuge and wickedness, you would never show them respect from the start.

For example. You've never met Benito Mussolini or Jeffery Dalhmer, but you would NEVER show them anything but indifference and contempt, because of their PAST ACTIONS.

I will take the BonsaiNUT Pledge.

I pledge allegiance
to BonsaiNUT
and to the forum for which it stands,
one internet community (under God <--- for all you Christians out there. Others may substitute the God of your choice),
indivisible, with liberty, justice and bonsai for all

Last edited:

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, we all agree on this..

You give the initial respect to a stranger (stranger = a person you know absolutely nothing about). But once he start interacting with you, he is responsible for earning that respect. Pretty simple..

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
So, we all agree on this..

You give the initial respect to a stranger (stranger = a person you know absolutely nothing about). But once he start interacting with you, he is responsible for earning that respect. Pretty simple..

Yup

And for those who have angered us we forgive and move on.
Myself I refuse to carry hatred in me. It damages the spirit within.
Mom

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score

Thanks Andy, I appreciate it... right up to the edited point where you pledge to not say anything. I do believe you missed my point - along with everyone else.

For 12 years I stood every morning at school with my hand above my heart and recited this :

I pledge allegiance to the Flag
of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

Some time about middle school I began to question what all this mumbo jumbo was about. 12 years of saying this while half paying attention meant nothing to me in the end. It didn't make me a better citizen or person, it made me a robot. Do I love my country? Damn right I do. I never needed to make a pledge to love and honor my country.

Then everyone took a pledge to stay off drugs (just say no - thanks so much Nancy Reagan...). Next was a pledge of abstinence. Then who knows what.

I sat back and watched all of those people that made their pledges and followed the masses in a sheep like format get hooked on dope, get (people) pregnant and have children that they abandoned or aborted. Hypocrites - each and every one of them.

You see - I don't need to tell the whole world what I will do, to make pledges or promises that I may or may not keep. I simply do what I do. Sometimes I regret it and sometimes I don't. I'm an individual and a human. I make mistakes and bad judgments sometimes. I can also sincerely apologize if I feel I made and error.

But I won't make a pledge to a bunch of people online promising to do or not do something. I won't drink that cool aid.

Oh - to me this has nothing to do with respect. I respect each and every person's opinion and right to say and do what they wish. Free will is a great concept. When allowed to do so I believe adults are able to do the right thing.

Nuff said - before I become the brunt of the flames.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
No Flaming.
I respect what you say.
Irene

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Myself, I give everyone respect and trust right from the start, they can't earn any more, all they can do is chip it away and it can't be replaced.

Once it is gone, they no longer matter one way or another, I ignore them, they become basically non-persons to me, they do not exist in my world....why even let it bother you, the effort is not worth the reward....they say that sea water contains tons and tons of gold but the cost of extracting it is far more expensive than what the gold is worth.....the cost is not worth the reward.

Having been called a coward and worse in the past (by you), and having done as bad and worse myself, I still find things to learn from and discuss, and can't imagine ignoring someone I disagree with for good or ill. I will ignore someone on this forum when they get banned from it.

A stranger deserves respect by default. By virtue of common courtesy. The problem starts when he loses this respect due to his actions.

So, the expression "respect must be earned" means that one is responsible to act in such a manner that his actions do not jeopardize the respect of his fellow human beings.

We also recognize that there are various degrees of respect: there is a basic, common courtesy kind of respect, and there is respect reserved only for those with extraordinary achievements. This can be earned over a long time, with hard work.

I think the difference is in definitions. Most of us would say, treat a stranger with respect. What we really mean is, treat a stranger with courtesy. Being kind is different than being polite. Respect must be earned.

For instance, when I went to work selling Hondas, I tried to show courtesy to every member of the sales team there. Some went on to earn my respect, as salespeople, and some as superior human beings.

When I go to an online community, I try to treat everyone with courtesy. I have not always achieved that goal. I plead my humanness. But if I disagree with someone, it needn't turn into a food fight. I don't assume people who disagree with me are attacking me. I attempt to understand their position and if I still believe they are mistaken, I will debate the issue.

This isn't an entirely new position with me, but it is one I have somewhat matured into.

My point is that I can discuss bonsai and debate or agree even with people for whom I have no respect. And I can do it politely. Try me.

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to death, your right to say it."

Voltaire-- 21 November 1694 – 30 May 1778

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the difference is in definitions. Most of us would say, treat a stranger with respect. What we really mean is, treat a stranger with courtesy.

You've made me look up the exact definition of respect vs. courtesy, and you are right: courtesy is what we mean.

Respect has to do with high esteem, admiration, thinking highly of someone, which indeed, has to be earned. Courtesy, however, has to do with one's basic good manners, and should be awarded even to criminals.

We sometimes use the two terms interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same.

Top Bottom