Too small for RoR?

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ve always liked the idea of ROR and today I took my son to his first rock and gem show. While I was there I found this cool looking rock that has some potential for use with root over rock problem is... the rock is just under 5 inches tall...

Is this size out of the question for a believable RoR? I know time is needed to help attach the roots but I’m worried that in order to get that time the tree will completely overshadow the rock.

The rock is “opalized fossilized wood” $2

Sorry for all the pictures, I thought it would help. Picture 2 is what I’m thinking for the front (also shown in last pic) and the tree will sit on the little ledge that is shown in picture 3.

I’m also worried how this type of mineral/rock will hold up to a tree and fertilizers

I will be looking into leveling and flattening the bottom a little better to rotate the rock more upright. Even if I don’t use it for bonsai I like the rock.

I have a couple young tridents from Brent and I know how good they are for ROR but maybe there are other deciduous trees that might fit this size better? I love maples but if it is an issue of size I would like to stick to deciduous material if possible.

Any help or insight is appreciated. Thank you

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You can work with almost any size rock, if you can get your tree to stay in scale. Tridents should work fine. The problem is, the rock is similar in color to the roots, so you won’t get much color variation. Usually the rocks used are dark, solid in color (mainly) and very hard. This rock is only 7” or so tall.
8CF1C600-4150-41C4-81A7-27BB10B44E63.jpeg

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh wow! I saw that in your thread and I thought it was almost twice that size.

I like your point about the contrast. I never even thought about that but it would stick out like a sore thumb and way to late to change the pairing

On a side note one of the tridents I got from Brent this year was his rough bark variety. Do you know how much of that rough bark travels down the exposed roots? And if that would be an option to help with the contrast issue? If not I’ll just keep it and a cool rock :)

Thanks for the info.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've always assumed that larger rocks are best for ROR - as in, get something 50% larger than what you think you need. It seems that a small tree grown over a large rock looks better than a large tree grown over a small rock.

That is a great looking rock if you can keep the tree in scale. It could also work as suiseki, or as a companion to a bonsai in a landscape or saikei.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is just a matter of scale. Smaller rock means smaller tree that will match. With fast growing trees like trident or ficus it is very easy to let the tree get carried away in development and the smaller rock will disappear inside the roots of a larger than intended tree.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Cool rock.
Trident is a good option.
Size of the roots has a lot to do with how long you keep them buried. Rock-almost-swallowed-by-root can be a good look but this rock is too nice to be all covered up.
Maybe a cotoneaster might be easier to keep in scale?

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks everybody for your input. I think I’ll just hold onto this rock and work on leveling the bottom to get the right angle for now. If I decide to use it for RoR I will add to this post in the future. But for now I’ll most likely pursue a nice little stand for it until inspiration slaps me in the face :) it is a fun little rock after all.

Top Bottom