Torreya taxifolia, something i bet you haven't worked with

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Any nursery in North (and probably central) Florida that specializes in native plants -- and that's a big thing in Florida -- will have them.

And Torreya Guardians has NOTHING to do with Govt. Sheesh. Not a black helicopter in the entire group.

Good news about the availability. I do however question your assessment on the Torreya Guardians having nothing to do with Government. Sheesh! They may not have black helicopters but if they have authority to approve or deny distribution and exercise control over something where by you don't, they either own it or government has given them that power. So----if you do something the Torreya Guardians don't like what will happen to you, me, or anybody? The short point is this: If any group has powers that limit your Constitutional rights, they have the ability to bring prosecution, what would you call them?

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Vance,

Do you get to decide what happens with the plants in your backyard, or can I come over and take whatever I want?

It may be as simple as that. Perhaps the Torreya Guardians are simply determining what to do with their own personal property. As nurseries are selling them, nurseries that do not appear to be connected to Torreya Guardians, I think you are making huge leaps in logic.

Regards,
Martin

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance,

Do you get to decide what happens with the plants in your backyard, or can I come over and take whatever I want?

It may be as simple as that. Perhaps the Torreya Guardians are simply determining what to do with their own personal property. As nurseries are selling them, nurseries that do not appear to be connected to Torreya Guardians, I think you are making huge leaps in logic.

Regards,
Martin

The plants in my back yard belong to me, I purchased them, they exist on my property which I purchased and they are my property. The indication earlier was that these people had control of these trees in the State of Florida. I was not making any huge leap in logic when the suggestion of controling this asset in an earlier post was put forward.

Did you read on their website that "Torreya Guardians is a self-organized group of naturalists, botanists, ecologists, and others with a deep concern for biodiversity protection, who have chosen to use the internet as a tool for discussing ideas, posting plans, and taking a variety of actions in behalf of our most endangered conifer tree: Torreya taxifolia.

That does reek of the heavy hand of government.... Your words I believe. I did not mean to start a flame war over this.

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
Whoooa!!...What have I done?......lol....I really didn't look around for such a mundane source as local Florida nurseries, with this species being listed as CRITICALLY ENDANGERED...So my apologies for expecting the heavy hand of government, but it may not be so in this case (Although I think sales of these are illegal, so I just wanted to go through the right channels to avoid possibilities of legal prosecution)......

Reaction score
If you didn't know, Torreya taxifolia, commonly known as Florida Yew or Florida Cypress, is an endangered conifer endemic to a small patch of forest bordering Georgia's and Florida's south western border. I have been aware of the conservation of this tree for a few years now and have been admiring it from afar (pictures only). It is a member of the Cephalotaxaceae Family, and some still consider it a member of the Taxaceae Family, resembling true yews to a high degree. It's growth habits and needle length seem ideal for bonsai cultivation, but good luck getting a hold of any of these.

Last edited:

Antimatter

Seed
Reaction score
Florida Yew

The Florida yew is taxus floridiana https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxus_floridana. They grow natively in the same area.

They actually have some Florida Torreya for sale at Native Nurseries in Tallahassee. They are prone to a nasty blight though.

Last edited:

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here is an update on sourcing this tree species. I purchased my Torreya taxifolia from Mail Order Natives for $30 plus $25-$30 shipping about 6-8 months ago. Doing well so far here in the Orlando area, though I am not sure if my tree is suitable for bonsai or not or whether this species can safely have common bonsai techniques applied to create one. Either way, I enjoy growing such a rare tree species. See photo of my tree, taken about a week ago.

Attachments

• Torreya taxifolia Feb-16.jpg
    Torreya taxifolia Feb-16.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 10
Top Bottom