Trees waking up early...

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it's got a northern facing foundation/side, that's a perfect place to mulch and overwinter your trees (assuming roof snow doesn't fall there.
Absolutely, I have a northern fence I use. The garages outer wall drops sheets of ice occasionally.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As you mentioned many times in many threads the location of the plants outside is important - more important then most think. It really helps keep things dormant even when there are warm spells... :)

Grimmy

I just want to add....

"With the roots Mulched"

I'm quite sure if my Amur pot was under cover last year, it wouldn't have warmed enough for growth.

Outside and Mulched.

Fucked up how every one here says "no trees indoors", then every winter........

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Absolutely, I have a northern fence I use. The garages outer wall drops sheets of ice occasionally.
I lost my best branch on a tree this way...:( almost ruined the tree.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just want to add....

"With the roots Mulched"

I'm quite sure if my Amur pot was under cover last year, it wouldn't have warmed enough for growth.

Outside and Mulched.

Fucked up how every one here says "no trees indoors", then every winter........

Sorce
I provide no winter protection for my amur maples. I've found that even in harsh winters with mulch they always break in early Feb.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My amurs, along with my red maples, are already pushing hard. :rolleyes: I overwinter most of my trees in a detached garage. Not going to be a fun 6-8 weeks I don't think.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I provide no winter protection for my amur maples. I've found that even in harsh winters with mulch they always break in early Feb.

Don't really "like" that!

@MACH5 @wireme when do your amurs spring?

That was the first year of about 3-4 that the one was early. The other 3 were new. I'm pretty sure potting/grounding them was the deal sealer....should have just left em...foolishly stuck with the plan.

I won't get another unless it's THE one.

Sorce

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't really "like" that!

@MACH5 @wireme when do your amurs spring?

That was the first year of about 3-4 that the one was early. The other 3 were new. I'm pretty sure potting/grounding them was the deal sealer....should have just left em...foolishly stuck with the plan.

I won't get another unless it's THE one.

Sorce

By the time the mulch thaws they are beginning to swell.
I checked last years repotting pics. This was May 7.image.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Except me. Mine never come in and they are situated so the roof snow falls on them.
Then it melts and turns to ice. Perfect!
You must not get the same kind of house shaking roofalanches that I do. I would have a pile of kindling in the spring!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You must not get the same kind of house shaking roofalanches that I do. I would have a pile of kindling in the spring!
Not so bad off of the shed.
My sister had a metal roof put on her house last year. She has a yew hedge thats over 50 years old getting pounded. Ive been trying to get her to let me dig it up. She wouldnt let me before but its taking some shots this winter. Hopefully it gets tore up real good.
Am I a bad brother?

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not so bad off of the shed.
My sister had a metal roof put on her house last year. She has a yew hedge thats over 50 years old getting pounded. Ive been trying to get her to let me dig it up. She wouldnt let me before but its taking some shots this winter. Hopefully it gets tore up real good.
Am I a bad brother?

I dunno, a good brother would probably just replant the hedge with shimpaku and collected pines.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My Chinese quinces will be ready this week, they are always early birds.
Mine never dropped all its leaves...a good majority dropped but not all. But with temps in the 50's and 60's I see things going to be waking before to long. Need to go givea good inspection soon.

Top Bottom