Trident clump.

rich415

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello,

Here is a five trunk trident clump that I picked up today. Its got many issues:

1. The fattest trunk is actually the most subservient (sp?)of the five.

2. The trunks are ramming into one another.

3. Very little taper.

The price was right and I believe I can solve these issues...eventually.

It stands at a bout 14 inches high. Sorry about the picture quality. I took about a dozen and this is the best I could do today.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• clump trident 3.jpg
    clump trident 3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 221
  • clump trident pic 1.jpg
    clump trident pic 1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 280

jmuzzey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would air layer all the trunks and make 5 seperate trees. Just my 2 cents worth.

rich415

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Most trunk are going to get cut down nearly in half. But air layering would be a waste of time. I could get individual trees this thick for 10 bucks.

The pics are not really good but I believe when the issues are dealt with (5 years minimum) this will be a really great little clump. I bought it because the trunks are fused and form a nice turtle back. It would take a number of years to create just that.

Thanks for looking,

Rich

Last edited:

rich415

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here are the cuts I plan on making next spring. And my super awsome virt of what it may look like. Ok the virt really sucks but you may get the idea of where I want to go with this tree.

Some might notice that the dominant tree is placed in the back. I have thought about this and even though it is in the back it can still work. It is the straightest trunk, so it should be the most dominant and when I reverse viewing to show that trunk in the front I loose all of the interesting curves of the other trunk plus the view of the turtle shell.

I'm going to have to let that dominant trunk grow in order to thicken it up though.

Thanks fo looking,

Rich

Attachments

• trident clump 4 cuts.jpg
    trident clump 4 cuts.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 95
  • trident clump 4 cuts virt.jpg
    trident clump 4 cuts virt.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 91

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
A couple of those trunks emerge a bit awkwardly (at least in those photos) from the basal area. I'd suspect that a little study may lead you to a three-trunk grouping, rather than using all five.

rich415

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
JKL,

I think your right. When I first saw it I thought I might chop one or two of the trunks and thread graft some smaller tress in the base. After looking at it, I think i'll try to keep all five.

I've only been doing bonsai for 2 years and it took those two years to learn to try and work with what the tree has before i cut it off. If it still looks funny, I can always cut things off. But it takes a long time to re-grow them if I regret it.

Maybe I'm too cautious these days but I guess that's the progression. Too hasty in the beginning. Too scared later. Perhaps in a few years I'll find the right balance.

Thanks for the advice,

Rich

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rich I think you are right on two things, first I would definietly keep this unique turtleback form, and secondly your virtual SUCKS :D Its definetly a tree with great potential. I would let it bush out a year and then choose carefully what I cut. I like it a lot.

ed

rich415

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks Ed,

The tree is settling in now. Because of our indian summers here in the Bay Area, it is still pushing growth. I'll probably update next spring when I will make those chops.

Thanks for looking,

Rich

Top Bottom