Trip to Japan: Part 1[ Taisho-en] ***** PIC INTENSIVE!!!******

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes! I was told by one of the apprentices that everything is on sale for the right price of course. As far as I know, Mr. Urushibata purchases trees via auctions and such, brings them in and takes them to a whole new level with the help of his son Taiga and his apprentices. Not certain, but I don't believe he looks after client trees like other places do. I was astounded by the immense quality and number of trees on display at Taisho-en. Also prices definitely reflected the quality offered. Many of the shohin went for several hundred dollars and a few for $1,500 and up.

On Part 2, I will show many other "less prestigious" places that still show quality trees at amazing prices!! Overall, prices for very good to excellent quality bonsai are much, much lower than here in the US if you can find such material.

I am also looking forward to part two. This is and interesting point, how the quality of the trees are so much better in Japan but the prices aren't as high as you would think compared with the stock at nurseries here.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I am also looking forward to part two. This is and interesting point, how the quality of the trees are so much better in Japan but the prices aren't as high as you would think compared with the stock at nurseries here.

Ya, that seems to be how it is. Even variations within the US can be extreme. From what I have seen and heard. Japan is actually the cheapest. Something like if you had a decent black pine, in Japan, this tree would cost around $400-$500 dollars. Now, this same tree in California, would probably be around $800-$900. Around here, in the Northeast, you are looking at around $1100-$1200. Of course, these are estimates on what I have see and been told.

Rob

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ya, that seems to be how it is. Even variations within the US can be extreme. From what I have seen and heard. Japan is actually the cheapest. Something like if you had a decent black pine, in Japan, this tree would cost around $400-$500 dollars. Now, this same tree in California, would probably be around $800-$900. Around here, in the Northeast, you are looking at around $1100-$1200. Of course, these are estimates on what I have see and been told.

Rob

Yes that is my impression as well. The prices in Japan are REALLY cheap based on what I saw. It is interesting that my Japanese friend thought nothing of it and in fact told me that some of the prices were still too high! Of course my own American perspective was quite different than his.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it might have something to do with the fact that California seems to do much of the importing and growing. From what I understand, many of the eastern nurseries travel to California to buy wholesale, which would "drive" up cost... literally. lol

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes! I am working on it as I write this response. I am also waiting to confirm certain information with my Japanese friend before I post since I want it to be accurate.

Thanks so much for the interest. It really has been a pleasure sharing this trip with my BNut friends! :)

On a separate note. Please pardon my appearance! As I have been moving things around and editing on my Photobucket account, I noticed that pics have disappeared from this thread. I am fixing this, and as soon as possible I will restore it to its original content. Please bear with me for the time being :rolleyes:

Many thanks!!
M5

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes! I am working on it as I write this response. I am also waiting to confirm certain information with my Japanese friend before I post since I want it to be accurate.

Thanks so much for the interest. It really has been a pleasure sharing this trip with my BNut friends! :)

On a separate note. Please pardon my appearance! As I have been moving things around and editing on my Photobucket account, I noticed that pics have disappeared from this thread. I am fixing this, and as soon as possible I will restore it to its original content. Please bear with me for the time being :rolleyes:

Many thanks!!
M5

When you finish page 2, can you link this page to there?

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think the site update recently has made all the pictures unviewable for bonsai nut members...any chance of a link to the album? I basically am just trying to search through everything you've ever posted and learn more about how you create your maples and/or other bonsai :)

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not BNut - Mach5 must have moved his photos on Photobucket.

And with the way the system is now, you can't go back and just edit the address links for the pics... Only option is to re-post all the links, but who can blame him if he doesn't want to do all that work again... I wouldn't. I think we've discovered the inherent long-term flaw with the new "edit" parameters. Deffinatly not archive friendly...

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes erb it was me moving photos around. When you do that using a host like Photobucket your pictures, wherever they are posted, get deleted :mad: I was trying to get it all back in order but honestly just too busy with other priorities. I will try but can't promise I'll get all the photos back up. Thanks and glad to try and help whenever I can :)

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
no problem! I definitely don't want you to have to post 50 links all over again, I was just looking to see if you had a quick fix like a single link that showed me all your pictures

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
no problem! I definitely don't want you to have to post 50 links all over again, I was just looking to see if you had a quick fix like a single link that showed me all your pictures

Let me see what I can do. Perhaps I can make that album public so at least you can see the pics. I took thousands of pictures while I was in Japan but only a small fraction of that is left due to a computer crash.

Top Bottom