Triple trunk field elm from cuttings

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi! I wanted to share this little project I've been working on the past 3 years. In the fall of 2019 I took a bunch of cuttings from a field elm. The following year I made 2 clump-style plantings. One multi-trunk planting (of which only 3 survived...) and one triple trunk planting. The process was simple: take the rooted cuttings, bind them together, stick them in a pot and let them grow.
I'm pleased with the result of the triple trunk elm, as the trunks fused nicely and it developed a nice nebari.

All the cuttings in the spring of 2020:
IMG_20200330_142426.jpg

Binding the cuttings together with aluminum wire, wrapped in electrical tape:
IMG_20200330_144758.jpg

Potting them up, making sure the roots are spread out. Sadly, I kind of neglected this group planting, so some of the trunk died.
IMG_20200330_145008.jpg

One of the plantings in early spring of this year, 2022. This planting was a great success! The three cuttings I bound together two years ago all survived. Last year I was able to remove the wire and with this repotting, I found out the trunk had fused together. The trunks are also fattening up a bit!
elm 2.jpg

After combing out the roots:
Elm1.jpg

Some of the roots are getting big...
elm5.jpg

So I cut them:
Elm6.jpg

The surface roots are sorted out. Still plenty of feeder roots left:
elm7.jpg

And the root ball is nice and flat;
elm8.jpg

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Then I potted them up:
elm9.jpg

Covered the cut roots with cut paste and spaghnum moss:
elm10.jpg

The end result for now:
elm11.jpg

Two clump-style elms, a work in progress:
elm12.jpg
I also wrote a blog post about repotting this little triple trunk elm:
https://www.paludebonsai.be/blog/877168_triple-trunk-elm-repotting

This has to be one of the most rewarding projects I've been working on! Seeing the trunks fuse like that in just 2 years is just amazing! They may look like sticks in pots right now, but I think the base and nebari are promising :)

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That is a pretty sweet triple! It’s fun to see the progression and your process.

Top Bottom