Tropical Plant ID help? (root over rock, flowering, ficus-like)

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I bought this tree about 8-9 years ago and it sprouted a bunch of seedlings in the corner of my yard, so I decided to do a root over rock with it last year because it has these sprawling ficus-like root behaviors. I grew it raft style then planted it on a rock in a bowl shaped pot.

This is the project I'm working on, I took it from a shallow oval pot last year and placed it on rock with mesh this year.
IMG_0698.JPG
IMG_0711.JPG
Nebari/trunk of the mother tree
IMG_0713.JPGBranches Have these visible nodes, and it roots very easily.IMG_0712.JPGOpposite leaf pattern, and these nice pinkish magenta flowers that fill the branches a few times a year. It just finished dropping most of its flowers. Could make a cool bonsai specimen, I would appreciate if anyone could help me identify the species.
IMG_0714.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0713.JPG
    IMG_0713.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 8

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Roots went bonkers in less than a year. I have 6 more in the ground that would make fun projects, but still dont know what it's called.
IMG_0700.JPG

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Or maybe a Dwarf Barbados Cherry. The flowers are the same but the dwarf likes to grow viny . I have several dwarfs and 1 regular one. The dwarfs need to be cut back frequently, they grow so quickly.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Or maybe a Dwarf Barbados Cherry. The flowers are the same but the dwarf likes to grow viny . I have several dwarfs and 1 regular one. The dwarfs need to be cut back frequently, they grow so quickly.
The leaves are sharper tipped than the non dwarf varieties I see online, so I think I have a dwarf. Branching runs long and thin. Thank you, you are on the money!

Like a dummy, I had these in mostly shade for years, zero fruit, not knowing that they are barbados cherry and they could have been producing a lot of fruit lol. Now that I know what it is, I can do more stuff with them!

The mother tree is in a ~10 gallon clay pot, the plan is to air layer the upper 2/3 and work on ramification this year, downsize to training pot next year hopefully along with having many more, lol.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
hopefully along with having many more, lol.
Cuttings take really easily and they grow very quickly. The cherries are fun but I don't get a lot of them.

Top Bottom