Tropical Trees and Hibernation

Migs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fairly new to the hobby, and I had a question about tropical trees. I have always read that bonsai trees need to hibernate but is that the case with tropical trees like a Brazilian Raintree or a Jade?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fairly new to the hobby, and I had a question about tropical trees. I have always read that bonsai trees need to hibernate but is that the case with tropical trees like a Brazilian Raintree or a Jade?
They can. It depends. Dormancy in tropical species is mostly different in origin than temperate zone dormancy. Temperate zone dormancy is driven by shortening days and declining temperatures. It's an adaptation they use to avoid being punished by freezing winter weather.

It can be different for tropical species. Since they live closer to the equator, they don't experience "seasons" as in more northerly climates. Daylengths stay the same. Dormancy in tropical species can be driven by the availability of water. Monsoon seasons can be cyclical and can force some trees species into a slow or non-growth period. This greatly depends on the species though. Some species will grow all year long, other not so much.

By and large, as bonsai, tropical species don't need dormancy periods. They will slow growth in winter as they're inside and the conditions are optimal for a lot of growth, though

Last edited:

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not necessarily.
Tropicals, by nature of the climates they evolved in, do not require dormancy. This is why virtually all houseplants are of tropical origin; that and many being adaptable to low light conditions.
No first hand experience with Brazilian rain tree, but I don't believe they require dormancy.

Very many CAN go dormant in a way, and a few may benefit from it even if it's not mandatory. An example is punica - pomegranate - which can be chilled to NEAR (not to, or below) freezing, and will lose its leaves and hibernate for a while. Mixed reviews on whether or not it's beneficial. I've gotten chili peppers to go dormant in winter the same way, and doing so every winter will buy them a few more growing seasons of better health. That's compared to 2 or 3 seasons of continually decreasing production.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As @rockm stated, they can and do slow down during the winter. Even where they are native it is cooler in the winter so things can slow down.

My tropicals (BRT and Ficus) are under lights in my basement during the winter, but they pretty much stop growing in January and February or at least slow down a lot.
In March, they ramp up again and start producing lots of new growth typically

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My tropicals come inside under lights from October until May. They do fine. The growth is more leggy but they don't go dormant at all. I usually have something blooming, which is nice during the long, boring winter.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My tropicals come inside under lights from October until May. They do fine. The growth is more leggy but they don't go dormant at all.
I don't have many tropicals, but I have found the same.

Top Bottom