My Two Tropical Mahogany Trees

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm not "confidently" stating anything except my opinion of your scientist's "confident" conclusions. I acknowledge science without worshiping the priests. I am the personification of the disbeliever in some scientists pronouncements. I am old enough to have been through many, many so-called science-based revelations like coffee will kill you followed by coffee is good for you, followed by it's OK in moderation after all. Insert everything from cycamates to salami and repeat. They have discovered the end of the universe 3 or 4 times in my lifetime alone, and I'm sure it will continue with periodic improvements in equipment, maybe forever. I take every giant step with a small grain of salt. There are always one or two more shoes to drop...

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'm not "confidently" stating anything except my opinion of your scientist's "confident" conclusions. I acknowledge science without worshiping the priests. I am the personification of the disbeliever in some scientists pronouncements. I am old enough to have been through many, many so-called science-based revelations like coffee will kill you followed by coffee is good for you, followed by it's OK in moderation after all. Insert everything from cycamates to salami and repeat. They have discovered the end of the universe 3 or 4 times in my lifetime alone, and I'm sure it will continue with periodic improvements in equipment, maybe forever. I take every giant step with a small grain of salt. There are always one or two more shoes to drop...
If you only read the clickbait headlines then yes, you will probably miss the science.

Your post shows you misunderstand science on a fundamental level. Science is a PROCESS of discovery. "waiting for a shoe to drop" to you, is literally just the process of discovery. There is no malice implied in being incorrect in science. In fact in science, being wrong is just as good as being right. It gives you more information. No scientist, no good scientist, confidently states anything as 100% fact. Some things we can feel pretty closely about but not many. Science is a TOOL to identify information that human senses commonly blind us to.

Its how we know the earth isn't flat even though our eyes tell us it is. Its how we know we go around the sun even though our eyes tell us the sun goes around us.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sock, you are a True Believer, and I am a skeptic.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sock, you are too kind. Than You.

Bagels

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone

You might be confusing actual scientific studies with how they are reported in news broadcasts by non-scientists. I've seen dozens of times when a scientific study that was packed with caveats and disclaimers about variables and underlying conditions was reported in the media to sound far more sensationalized and conclusive than the actual study.

And of course, we don't have a consensus on some things where some scientists believe one thing and reputable scientists believe another and sometimes one is wrong (IE Hawking on black holes). Rarely do the actual scientists state things as definitively as it seems when reported by media.

Anyway, Sock you have some gorgeous trees here. I love the slanted one myself as I have a thing for slanted style bonsai.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You might be confusing actual scientific studies with how they are reported in news broadcasts by non-scientists. I've seen dozens of times when a scientific study that was packed with caveats and disclaimers about variables and underlying conditions was reported in the media to sound far more sensationalized and conclusive than the actual study.

And of course, we don't have a consensus on some things where some scientists believe one thing and reputable scientists believe another and sometimes one is wrong (IE Hawking on black holes). Rarely do the actual scientists state things as definitively as it seems when reported by media.

Anyway, Sock you have some gorgeous trees here. I love the slanted one myself as I have a thing for slanted style bonsai.
I could not have stated it better. Cream cheese for you!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
While we're at it, we have been misinformed about the Wuhan virus from day one by whom? Sure, the media likes to be the purveyor of important information, but the scientists have moved the goal posts a dozen times, and without apologies. Yes, new inputs legitimately change paths and outcomes, but they (the sources being reported as experts) never admit to being wrong and being suitably humbled for their five minutes before they merely step back to center stage and... move the goal posts. And they still can't call a spade a spade. Credibility is earned, or not.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
When you think you know better than OP about pot for his trees and gets owned, what do you do?

Change subject! 😀😷

Good job! You get a BAGEL :)

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
While we're at it, we have been misinformed about the Wuhan virus from day one by whom? Sure, the media likes to be the purveyor of important information, but the scientists have moved the goal posts a dozen times, and without apologies. Yes, new inputs legitimately change paths and outcomes, but they (the sources being reported as experts) never admit to being wrong and being suitably humbled for their five minutes before they merely step back to center stage and... move the goal posts. And they still can't call a spade a spade. Credibility is earned, or not.
Oh so you're racist too. Get out of my thread. Be gone.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
More like the BOOHAN virus cuz yall can't stop crying about muh freedumbs right???
I wish these guys would stick to the subject, seems like they swing the subject to science just to being politics into it. This is the reason I’ll never join a club or study group in south Florida.

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I wish these guys would stick to the subject, seems like they swing the subject to science just to being politics into it. This is the reason I’ll never join a club or study group in south Florida

People are set in their ways, there is not very much you can do about it. I get it though! All you can do is find like - minded people to enjoy the hobby with. Join our discord!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sock, you seem to be unable to stay on subject. Do you have ADD and are unable to refill your Rx? I make statements or ask questions and you complain about me rather than addressing the issues. I am merely a person and I am not the issue worth discussion. You respond by attacking me personally and calling names but do not answer my questions. Would you rather just have a name calling contest? Is that more reflective of your education? When you graduate from middle school, ping me and I'll try to come down to your level for a conversation, but for right now I'll try to find a more worthy correspondent for an intellectual exchange.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
There is some inverse correlation between the depth of a pot and the combination of leaf thickness/leaf coating. Thick, shinny leaves can stand drying out conditions, that is to say that the leaves do not dry out at the same rate as thin, dull leaves with no waxy coating. Trees with leaves that fold up are sending a message that they are especially sensitive to drought. This is a generality, so don't bother giving examples of drought-resistant trees with thin leaves. There are several xeriscape trees that have dull, thin leaves that fold, and while they are drought-resistant, they often will drop the whole canopy and wait out the drought and grow whenever sufficient water is present.

All of this a good reason to put such trees in deeper pots.

While I'm at it, I might as well point out that, just as some trees like Pines belong in the typical bonsai/scree media mix, some do not. For sure, if you grow everything in the same way, some will thrive and some will not. Putting some wood chips and peat in a rocky media may make you feel good, but trees sensitive to drought belong in a soil that holds dampness well, that's where they feel good.
All started when dude thinks he knows something and trying to school the OP? But dude got schooled instead lol ;)

Sock, you seem to be unable to stay on subject. Do you have ADD and are unable to refill your Rx? I make statements or ask questions and you complain about me rather than addressing the issues. I am merely a person and I am not the issue worth discussion. You respond by attacking me personally and calling names but do not answer my questions. Would you rather just have a name calling contest? Is that more reflective of your education? When you graduate from middle school, ping me and I'll try to come down to your level for a conversation, but for right now I'll try to find a more worthy correspondent for an intellectual exchange.

Dude then changed subject to why leaves opens and closes like he a botanist. Then brought up the WUHAN virus!

Talk about a jackbutt :rolleyes:

Out of respect for this thread, maybe a mod can delete all garbage posts on this thread? Mines included of course

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Screenshot_20210312-133717~2.png

Last edited:

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Screenshot_20210312-133717~2.png

Top Bottom