TX Persimmon

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Anthony,

This is not TX Ebony...it is TX Persimmon. :)

I have a couple seedling TX Ebony and they are indeed very slooowwwww! I need to find a bigger piece.

Edit in: BTW, if you want TX Ebony seeds, I have access to them and can mail some to you. I think they mature around October but not sure. Let me know.

Last edited:

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whoops sorry Dario,

I just finished examining the Texas Ebony, had it on the brain, ha ha, but I was writing about the Texas Persimmon.

Thanks for the offer, but we are already producing home grown seed and airlayers. The guys down here use ground growing for sizeable trunks on the Texas Ebony, but the thorns make the tree unpopular, same for other trees with thorns.

Apologies again, but we do have an old Texas Persimmon.
Good Day.
Anthony

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I cut the thorns off my Texas ebony. I have had a sacrifice branch grow 6 feet long since March. Granted its at the apex. Two sacrifice branches on the sides have only grown about 2feet in the same time. Should be fun to get it in the house this winter. Plan to let it grow another season.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I like people who "walk the walk". ;)
You don't have to look far to see examples of my work; in books, newspapers, an ABS magazine cover, here, my weekly blog, YouTube, exhibitions. I'm quite clear on how I "walk".
I'd love to see your tree "naked".
That won't be happening; I don't defoliate my pyracantha, particularly not to prove a point.
I have two pyracantha I collected 5 months ago (3/16/2014). Let's see what I can do with it in 2 years...and yes, I will show you the "naked" pics (good or bad), not just berries and foliage.
Knock yourself out. I'm done wasting my time here on you.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You don't have to look far to see examples of my work; in books, newspapers, an ABS magazine cover, here, my weekly blog, YouTube, exhibitions. I'm quite clear on how I "walk".

That won't be happening; I don't defoliate my pyracantha, particularly not to prove a point.

Knock yourself out. I'm done wasting my time here on you.

Well I am sure it will be my loss. I will try to survive w/o your help.

If you can take a little advise from a newbie...build trees from the bottom up. Nebari, trunk, branches. I am sure you know this but sometimes, knowing and practicing do not always go together, happens to me a lot.

Your pyracantha (and another tree you are very proud of) can use some help. To do so, you will have to make a major step back (destroy it then rebuild) but I know that is very hard to do at this stage...after what you invested on them. This is not a stab but a sincere feedback since no one else have the courage to tell you the truth. It is easier and safer to praise the silhouette, flowers, and berries.

Do as you will with this suggestion, you can even misinterpret it and bite my head off.

Bye!

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update pics...16 month from purchase.

Attachments

• DSC02680.jpg
    DSC02680.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC02682a.jpg
    DSC02682a.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 133

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dario,

The branching seems to be coming along nicely. If the 2nd picture is your intended front, are you planning on addressing the reverse taper?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
THIS FOOL IS ON FACEBOOK.

Well I am sure it will be my loss. I will try to survive w/o your help.

If you can take a little advise from a newbie...build trees from the bottom up. Nebari, trunk, branches. I am sure you know this but sometimes, knowing and practicing do not always go together, happens to me a lot.

Your pyracantha (and another tree you are very proud of) can use some help. To do so, you will have to make a major step back (destroy it then rebuild) but I know that is very hard to do at this stage...after what you invested on them. This is not a stab but a sincere feedback since no one else have the courage to tell you the truth. It is easier and safer to praise the silhouette, flowers, and berries.

Do as you will with this suggestion, you can even misinterpret it and bite my head off.

Bye!

I missed reading this particular bit of drivel....I'm sure @Brian Van Fleet was looking for help......:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dario is quite a character... I remember he has access to a lot of collected materials. Most of them are nice starter but his ego seems a bit too BIG as demonstrated here in this thread.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
He was poinked a while back.

His bravado on here reminded me of the skit in Friends where Monica's boyfriend thought he was a Cage Fighter but when he entered the octagon he got absolutely battered by more experienced opponents.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's crazy how loquacious Sorce used to be. These days Sorce might as well just say, "I am Groot."

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I remember Dario. Lives in South Texas. Never saw snow in his entire life. Lowest temp he experienced was like 30 F. for a couple of days. Didn't stop him from giving "advice" to people in the snow belt about how to overwinter their trees. Did that repeatedly. and the advice was copied straight out of a book and probably killed a few trees...:rolleyes:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ahh, memories. Dario would argue with anyone about anything. He was an expert in...everything.

Whatever happened to Neli? She was another "interesting" character. As I recall, she spent a month or two in Japan, came back a bonsai master, and proceeded to start telling everyone how to do bonsai. Even started a facebook group and/or class. Seems to have completely disappeared though, blog hasn't been updated in 4 years or so.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
His single good trait was that he recognized the value of using old chopped back material from the start instead of futzing around with seedlings and saplings. That gave him a big jump on most bonsai people. What he's working with four years down the road from beginner is vastly superior to most starter stock. That was about it though...

Top Bottom