Ulmus parvifolia from cutting (2006-...)

Reaction score
I took a cutting from my first mallsai tree. I think i made the cutting in 2006 and put it in the ground in 2007. Both winters the top of the tree froze off, so i potted it in 2009.
200907.JPG
It grew so i was happy.
2010 The top section died.
201009.JPG
2011 Lets try again
201103.JPG
July 2011
201107.JPG
Start of 2012
201202.JPG
September 2012
201209.JPG
Start of 2013
201304.JPG

Reaction score
I failed to take pictures since then. Busy, busy.
June 2017
201706.JPG
July 2017
201707.JPG
December 2017 Tried partial defoliation :)
201712 partial defoliation.jpg
Partial defoliation is just half work so i made a full defoliation of it.
201712 total defoliation.jpg
I'm rather happy with the result since the large wound has callused over. What botters me is the imperfection of the nebari.
2017 base.jpg
It has 4 thick roots. Last repot i've cut back hard. I will repot in spring and probably just groundlayer it. We'll see.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And so Dirk,

after 10 years the Design peaks and .............................................

Elms have a way of going from delicate branchlets to heavy beams. Rapidly.
Down here at least.
Good Day
Anthony

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I failed to take pictures since then. Busy, busy.
June 2017
View attachment 173296
July 2017
View attachment 173295
December 2017 Tried partial defoliation :)
View attachment 173294
Partial defoliation is just half work so i made a full defoliation of it.
View attachment 173293
I'm rather happy with the result since the large wound has callused over. What botters me is the imperfection of the nebari.
View attachment 173297
It has 4 thick roots. Last repot i've cut back hard. I will repot in spring and probably just groundlayer it. We'll see.
thanks for sharing

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
A simple cutting results in a decent bonsai tree! :)
... ...What botters me is the imperfection of the nebari.
... ... and probably just groundlayer it. We'll see.
I assume elms are easy to layer, aren't they?
What are your plans about the apex, if I may ask?

Reaction score
The apex is left to grow to close a chop at the back. It is almost closed so i might chop it now. But when i like to airlayer it is better to have some extra growth. The new apex is the branch in front of the leader. I like to have that ready before lopping the rest off. Layering should be easy but you never know, I might lose it as well. May the odds be always in my favor.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think the roots are fine!
Especially when it portrays the work since original cutting.
Awesome Bonsai!

Reaction score
It's one of my first Trees from scratch so I have made obvious faults. I'm happy how it turns out but when I would have to start over now it would be better.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the photo history of your tree. I think many of us could do a better job at documenting the progression of our trees.
You commented that you were not pleased with the nebari, which points out how important it is to get that sorted EARLY in the tree's life. Most people dont realize the need, and by the time they do, it gets tough to fix. Start with a good foundation, then build the structure above ground.
I like elms for the numerous buds from which to choose when building that structure. Nice work there.

Reaction score
It was a cutting of one of my first trees. I'm now more selective on how roots should look or develop. I agree that you have to have the base first before more structural work is done. Training rootbases makes me understand why they are appreciated so much and cost a lot when bought.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You created a great base. Roots and transition to trunk will flair more with time. Now decide how tall you want final tree, and build your branches. Great job

Reaction score
The tree will stay short for the moment. I'll try to develop fine ramification now. Thanks for the thumbs up.

Top Bottom