"Under Construction" page image contest - Win a bonsai pot.

Joe Shmo

Sapling
Reaction score
The contest:

After a few years of fighting technology, we're finally going to add a website for our business. We've got the domain, cms, etc. and have the developers hard at work but for the next 2-3 months when you visit our domain all your going to see is an under construction / under maintenance page. Since word has gotten out in our local community that were going to be going online this year as well, our landing page has been getting quite a bit of traffic and right now it just has a generic background image that we don't really like. What we want is a background picture that is more suited to Bonsai, something like a staged bonsai "under construction" image. Something with a bit of humor. We bought some tiny construction cones, barricades, and some tiny caution tape and gave it a whirl on our own, but the truth is, neither my wife, nor myself are good photographers and it looked like something done by a child and we really needed something more professional looking.

What were looking for:

Your best under construction staged bonsai picture we can use as a background image for the landing page. You will get an image credit on the landing page if your images wins.

Prizes:
The winner will get to select a 10" glazed bonsai pot from our in stock pots with free shipping to the USA. The runner up will get a free 6" glazed bonsai pot from our in stock pots.

The contest runs from the time of this post until 5p.m. eastern time on Aug. 18th at which time we will review the entries and select a winner and runner up to announce on the 19th.

Rules:

Submit as many entries as you want
Nothing NSFW
You must own the photo you submit, no doctored stock images with restrictive licenses
No criticizing anybody elses' submissions or you will be disqualified.

If your outside the USA we reserve the right to send you the cash value of the free pot plus US shipping as international shipping to some countries is VERY expensive.

If we do not get enough, or any suitable usable submissions we reserve the right to cancel the contest although looking through the beer-n-bonsai posts i don't think were going to have that problem

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Based on the zip code he is from Lincoln Maine.

It sounds like fun but....

You need to be more forthcoming about who you are, where you are from and some more information on you business. You are new and unknown here. When you just show up and put up a contest it makes things seem a little wonky.

There also is a bit of a disconnect with the prize vs. what you are asking for. I'm not sure the going rate but I'm sure the cost of having something professionally drawn up would cost much more than the cost of a stock pot. I'm sure you are not trying to pull one over but you need to think how it looks when you are an unknown in the community.

It would have also been more tasteful if you had contacted @Bonsai Nut with your idea for the contest. You are planning on using the images from the contest on your commercial site. If it were me I would have required that you became a sponsor of the site before you posted your contest.

There is also the question as to who would own the rights to the images at the end.

I'm sure you are not intending anything nefarious here but there is a bit more that you need to do to do this right.

Joe Shmo

Sapling
Reaction score
Any more info about your company? We don't even know who you are or where you operate :)

Sorry, I was kind of in a rush yesterday with a bunch going on. We're Stillwater Bonsai LLC in Maine. https://stillwaterbonsai.com , https://www.facebook.com/StillwaterBonsai/

Currently relocating to Chester Maine. We're a legally incorporated business, you can check the secretary of states website.

We're not fishing, and we're not asking for your first-born. Just a simple image contest. It's an image that will be up on our site for maybe 2-3 months, you retain the rights, we get the right to use it for our under construction page.

We appreciate all the rest of the replies from you guys, but lets keep this simple. There is no need for a huge legal disclaimer, and no need for a huge sales pitch. We're simple people, having a simple contest. We're not forcing nor begging for anyone to participate. If its not something your interested in, we understand and don't hold it against anyone. This is suppose to be fun and for a few people to explore their creative sides. Nothing more, nothing less.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea most you guys here at have no idea. Maine is a very different world than most of the U.S.. You can still do a $300,000+ buisness deal on nothing but a handshake. No contract, no paperwork, no lawyers. The work gets done, the money gets paid and no one gets screwed over. Wish more of the world was like that, but alas.

How do I know this? I grew up in Maine and did the above.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yea most you guys here at have no idea. Maine is a very different world than most of the U.S.. You can still do a $300,000+ buisness deal on nothing but a handshake. No contract, no paperwork, no lawyers. The work gets done, the money gets paid and no one gets screwed over. Wish more of the world was like that, but alas.

How do I know this? I grew up in Maine and did the above.

Used to be like that here too...had a repeat client we almost had to take to court over, had a contract...we do add ons for things later added. They...tried...to...say...they didn't order their new windows. Specifically spoke to our supplier over details. Tried to not pay us...slap in the face that was. When we contacted our attorney they paid. Crazy...

We also see shady contractor deals...ones take people's money and not complete. We have attorneys who refer our company to finish jobs, it's sad...but...it happens to often in seeing ones taken. That I can't boast of that any longer for our neck of the woods.

Yet...we have ones rush to get a door for you if your in town...ones offering to carry your dog food to your car since there are no bag boys at tractor supply. So it's mind boggling of the deceit that ones can run into...but it happens here.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cool ill create something
Do you ship to holland?
Lol probably not but its for fun!

Joe Shmo

Sapling
Reaction score
Cool ill create something
Do you ship to holland?
Lol probably not but its for fun!

Probably not, but what we'll do is send you the cash value of a pot plus shipping via paypal or method of your choice so you can go out and buy a pot of your own from a local market if you win.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Probably not, but what we'll do is send you the cash value of a pot plus shipping via paypal or method of your choice so you can go out and buy a pot of your own from a local market if you win.

Awesome and higly motivating but even still i would have attempted creating something cool ill go photoshopping tonight

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
hmmm dont know about it but this is what i came up with
use it if you like if you want adjustments or any other requests send me a pm
i just like doing stuff like this :)
stillwaterbonsai entry.png

Joe Shmo

Sapling
Reaction score
Im to late DOH

Just a little bit, due to lack of interest online we just hired a professional photographer to come in sometime next week to stage some photos for us. But thanks for remembering us anyways !!!!!!

Top Bottom