Underdogs Hinoki Challenger

Underdog

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for all the input guys. I plan to learn to graft on some of the bottom stuff before removing anything next spring. If it works out then I'll try bringing foliage in on the upper branches this way. I agree much of the bottom needs to go eventually.

The #3 branch is disproportionately larger than the others adding credence to Vance's suggestion but, not very flexible to pull up as a future apex or down . I picture this tree without it if I would kill it. Uggg

I'm trying to do this tree justice as best I can. Baby steps as I improve my skills and knowledge. I think this will complete my 5th year and 6th spring coming up.

Thanks again.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Good luck. Just remember; Hinokis will not wait for you to catch up, they will continue to grow and move away from any opportunity you may perceive today. Just saying, this is a difficult tree for those who think they know what they are doing enough they are not afraid to take chances. You need to look at ways to bend stuff that seems too stiff to move.

Underdog

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just saying, this is a difficult tree for those who think they know what they are doing enough they are not afraid to take chances.
This is not me. I know enough to know I don't know much at all. I am being overly cautious and not chopping anything, even if I should be. Can't put it back on.

canoeguide

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This won't really add anything to the discussion at hand, but: this is one of the more interesting threads in the forums that I've read. It begins (more-or-less) with the horticultural side of just getting this thing healthy, and is now at a much finer discussion of future styling. Personally, I can best *see* @Orion_metalhead's idea in #59. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/underdogs-hinoki-challenger.35828/post-698458

Top Bottom