Utamaro Flowering Quince

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the brightness of the picture and white background are making it stand out a lot. With a dark background and less light I bet it looks a 100 percent different ;)

Grimmy
As it happens, I have a black background version of this virtual. You're right, Grimmy, the quince and pot do look different, but at the cost of detail. I posted the white background version because of this.

ul utamaro 5-13-16 virtual_Panorama1.jpg

It looks more balanced, anyway.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I don't think the background changes how overbearing the shape of the pot is with the tree. In fact, since the background now obscures the trunks, it's almost worse!

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A Brief History of Raising the Roots of my Utamaro Flowering Quince Clump

Camellia Forest Nursery says of the Utamaro cultivar of flowering quince:

(zone 4-9)- Named after a famous (in Japan?) print maker, this Japanese Quince features bright but dark 1 1/2" wide orange-red flowers in early to mid spring. The spreading form of this plant is attractive with many short branches. Very suitable specimen for Bonsai use. Prefers full to part sun and rich well-drained soil. Though we were under the impression 'Utamaro' is a dwarf form, our plants have great vigor and have grown to over 2' tall in under three years. [4'T X 4'W]? Maybe larger.

utamoro clump2.jpg

I began this clump in 2006 with four Utamaro cuttings from Brent @ Evergreen Gardenworks. I wired together four cuttings. I hoped they would fuse right away and then I could undertake the work of building a trunk.

Building a trunk? What am I talking about?

One of the primary features of the flowering quince plant are the very kinked and twisted roots they display. On a nursery plant, these roots are buried. When beginning a clump of a number of cuttings, I leave the roots buried for quite awhile so they can both get stronger and fatter, and also get entangled with the roots of the neighboring stem.

By 2011, the roots of all the cuttings had formed a very solid mass, and I began planting the A clump higher at every repotting, uncovering the roots. Here is what the Utamaro looked like at that point:

By 2011, the roots of all the cuttings had formed a very solid mass, and I began planting the A clump higher at every repotting, uncovering the roots. Here is what the Utamaro looked like at that point:

Utamaro 3-24-11.jpg

You’ll notice in this picture that a number of things have changed besides the roots being raised.

First, the clump now has a different number of stems. I’ve found that when I make clumps from a number of cuttings, until all the cuttings are fused, there is a lot of competition between the cuttings resulting in the demise of some of them. In this image, I’ve added 5 more cuttings the previous year. Not all of them will survive.

Second, growth is gangly and not very attractive. A couple of years after the photo above, I cut the tree way back, very hard, in order to correct the situation.

utamaro 10-14-13.jpg

Here is what the Utamaro looked like after the pruning. I had just repotted the tree, and I had raised the roots to about half of their present height.

What is the difference between raising the roots and creating an exposed root design? Not a lot, I suspect. My design here calls for the roots to be raised about 2”. An exposed roots design may raise the tree 6” or more.

Last week, I was poking around the roots and I noticed some areas were really wet, not a good sign. I continued working, broke off some rotted roots, and realized I had a great opportunity to finish my design. This picture is of the tree today:

raised root Utamaro 1-1-17.jpg

You'll notice many of the roots have fused into a stump-like structure.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Very nice Fred! I like the more compact look!
When you repotted and noticed wet areas of roots with rot do you just go ahead and bare root it at that point to get rid of all the wet stuff?
Ian

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you repotted and noticed wet areas of roots with rot do you just go ahead and bare root it at that point to get rid of all the wet stuff?
Ian

Yes. With quince, it's important to get rid of the rot. Otherwise, the rot has a way of spreading due to excessive wetness.

Glad you liked my post.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey Fred, the yellow of the pot with the flowers are very complimentary. Bill V had a pyracantha in the same pot when we toured his place, and I remember thinking how great it must look when full of red berries.
IMG_6943.JPG

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@fredtruck do your Utamaro flowers look anything like in this picture? I was given one today. Looking at your flowers, they look different.
Utamaro-Flowering-Quince(RGB).jpg

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would love to see a super close up of the base right at the soil line

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ian
These days I almost never bare root anything. In this case, what I did was simply pull out the bad stuff; that is to say, I only exposed what was wet. You can tell by visual checking and touch what needs to go.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The Utamaro is blooming away. I changed the back to the front, since the flowers always seem to point that way.

View attachment 181888
LOL, and now they will spend all their time trying to turn their heads back the other direction. What a great color combination!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice trunk and base you got there,

What trunk? What base? Confused mess of roots and disorganized twigs. However great beautiful flowers and leaves seem to redeem mess underneath for majority of Quince. Love these flowers;). Yellow or original white pot is nice contrast.

Top Bottom