Water Oak

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You aren't making me feel better. If I remember correctly, this is a 13" pot. I should be able to stay around the $300 mark for up to an 18" oval if I go with Sara. I might check with Randy Doughty also. So are we going to see pics of your oak in a new Lang pot next spring?

@sorce, you making big pots yet?
Oh, I ain't getting a new pot for that oak unless I drop the damn thing and smash its current container:eek:;). Even so, I have a bigger pot which doesn't really go with the tree already in the backyard. It's about 24" x 6" x 12" Got it for $200...

FWIW, I would guess the pot for your oak should be double what it is now. I've found that oaks like pots a bit deeper in the long run. The depth costs too...

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh, I ain't getting a new pot for that oak unless I drop the damn thing and smash its current container:eek:;). Even so, I have a bigger pot which doesn't really go with the tree already in the backyard. It's about 24" x 6" x 12" Got it for $200...

FWIW, I would guess the pot for your oak should be double what it is now. I've found that oaks like pots a bit deeper in the long run. The depth costs too...

You mean double just for the depth and not for the width?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You mean double just for the depth and not for the width?
Go bigger with BOTH width and depth... I'd go a third deeper or a little more that he current container. That pot is esthetically and horticulturally pretty small for such a canopy. I have my live oak in a six inch deep pot. I have a feeling anything shallower and I'd have watering issues when I'm at work. I'll bet your oak likes water too. Deeper pots provide a more constant reservoir of it in the summer. They can also help in overwintering since they contain more soil that can help protect roots.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
FWIW, (not much) first thing I thought when I saw it was, oh nice pot.

Tree is lookin great man.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Go bigger with BOTH width and depth... I'd go a third deeper or a little more that he current container. That pot is esthetically and horticulturally pretty small for such a canopy. I have my live oak in a six inch deep pot. I have a feeling anything shallower and I'd have watering issues when I'm at work. I'll bet your oak likes water too. Deeper pots provide a more constant reservoir of it in the summer. They can also help in overwintering since they contain more soil that can help protect roots.

When I first put the tree in that pot it worked pretty well (at least to my eye) but now that the canopy has gotten bigger and fuller it definitely seems too small. I also didn't repot it this year so it's full of roots and pushing up out of the pot a little. I'm thinking 16 - 18 inches wide and a little deeper. I'll have to eyeball it a little with different size pots at home and see what looks good.

It does seem to like water or at least it doesn't mind a lot of water. It gets watered at 6:00 am by hand and then my new auto system waters it again at 3:30 pm. Before I had the auto system it would be 6pm or later before I could water it again but I never saw it wilt even though some of the others would. Wintering isn't a problem as it comes into the garage once dormant, along with the other Louisiana trees, and other sensitive stuff like crape myrtles and azaleas.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
FWIW, (not much) first thing I thought when I saw it was, oh nice pot.

Tree is lookin great man.

Now this is the kind of comment that would save me some money. Thanks man!

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just being honest.

Is yours he same size? Looks like it’s doing pretty well in that pot from what I can see. I come in peace. Just saying man.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was moving my trees outside this evening, since it won't go below freezing for a few days, and I decided to take a quick shot of the oak on its new Sara Rayner pot. I think it fits the tree pretty well. And the old pot turned out to work great for my water elm

2019-03-28 18.47.09.jpg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I had a scare about a month ago with this tree where I learned a valuable lesson. I used some cheap wire that I got from Amazon to tie the tree into the pot when I repotted this year. It went out on a bench and I bungie corded the pot to the bench. Well, we had a storm with high winds as we are apt to have in April here in VA and the wire broke where I had twisted it together. The pot stayed tight to the bench but the tree got blown almost out of the pot. Luckily, I was home that day and discovered it pretty quick afyer it happened. I secured the tree back in the pot and filled with soil. Then, like an idiot, I put it right back out in the wind with compromised roots. It got some wind damage, looked ugly for a while and sulked for about a month but it has now bounced back and is growing strong again. Lesson learned. Use decent wire, even ro tie in a tree and don't put a newly repotted tree into 50 mph winds. Duh. Thankfully, the tree is stronger than I am smart.

2019-05-22 18.48.33.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had a scare about a month ago with this tree where I learned a valuable lesson. I used some cheap wire that I got from Amazon to tie the tree into the pot when I repotted this year. It went out on a bench and I bungie corded the pot to the bench. Well, we had a storm with high winds as we are apt to have in April here in VA and the wire broke where I had twisted it together. The pot stayed tight to the bench but the tree got blown almost out of the pot. Luckily, I was home that day and discovered it pretty quick afyer it happened. I secured the tree back in the pot and filled with soil. Then, like an idiot, I put it right back out in the wind with compromised roots. It got some wind damage, looked ugly for a while and sulked for about a month but it has now bounced back and is growing strong again. Lesson learned. Use decent wire, even ro tie in a tree and don't put a newly repotted tree into 50 mph winds. Duh. Thankfully, the tree is stronger than I am smart.

View attachment 243467

Great match up and Sara likely much cheaper than that overpriced guy;).

Top Bottom